Dash instrument cluster failure after two days

Finthejlu

First Name
Roseanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
@Finthejlu - I feel your pain. Sounds just like my problem. I must say @JeepCares has been very responsive and they are working with my dealership to expedite the part. One thing I did notice, at least with my jeep, is that the problem only happens when it is cold outside. Dealership said it was safe to drive, so I picked it up. Just have to be careful to keep with the traffic flow because I can't tell how fast I'm going in the morning until the jeep warms up. I felt it was best to continue to drive so that I could identify any other issues. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Well I finally have my Jeep back! I too am waiting for parts. Jeep reached out to me too and is expediting the instrument panel. The good news is that the shop said it will only take and hour or two to fix once the parts come in so hopefully I won’t be without @Finthejlu again! Did you receive yours yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP

rubimojito

First Name
Sherri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Well I finally have my Jeep back! I too am waiting for parts. Jeep reached out to me too and is expediting the instrument panel. The good news is that the shop said it will only take and hour or two to fix once the parts come in so hopefully I won’t be without @Finthejlu again! Did you receive yours yet?
Part will be in on the 17th. Expecting the jeep to be repaired by the 18th. Have you heard anything?

Finthejlu

First Name
Roseanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
Part will be in on the 17th. Expecting the jeep to be repaired by the 18th. Have you heard anything?
Nothing yet. Just out of curiosity, have you noticed some wandering while driving or if you hit a bump? It may be a Jeep thing but I’m a first time Wrangler owner and am curious if you experience that as well?

Mrking1883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler
Had the same issue with mine, took delivery on December 12th after ordering in October. Dealer said they had never seen anything like it. My jeep is at the dealer awaiting an instrument cluster.

2 questions:
1. Did you guys notice it would work properly once warmed up? Mine was this way.
2. Have you received your jeep back and is it working appropriately?

Also, as a side note, make sure your dealer resets your odometer to match your pcm. My jeep was not actual mileage as every time the cluster reset, so did the odometer.

Happy holidays!

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
So I too had my insturment cluster display and gauges fail this morning. This is a two week old 2019 JLU Sport S. The needles never moved from zero and the system kept rebooting. It was cold today, around 23°F. I was able to drive the 4 miles to work. By the time I got there the RPM needle began to work. When I drove off two hours later everything works.

So. Do I need to go to the dealership? I was thinking water or ice caused the issue. Right before parking for the night in my garage I went through a touchless car wash.

Here's a video I captured this morning.

Sponsored

Mrking1883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler
So I too had my insturment cluster display and gauges fail this morning. This is a two week old 2019 JLU Sport S. The needles never moved from zero and the system kept rebooting. It was cold today, around 23°F. I was able to drive the 4 miles to work. By the time I got there the RPM needle began to work. When I drove off two hours later everything works.

So. Do I need to go to the dealership? I was thinking water or ice caused the issue. Right before parking for the night in my garage I went through a touchless car wash.

Here's a video I captured this morning.
I would take to the dealer of I were you as your odometer is no longer accurate since you drove it. This is problematic as when you go to sell the car, you have to attest that the vehicle is actual mileage under penalty of law. While I doubt much would come of it, any dealer could pull up the mileage on your pcm and see it doesn't match your odometer.

If your dealer hasn't replaced one before, make sure they pull the actual mileage off the pcm before they order. When the dealership orders the cluster from jeep it comes preprogrammed with the odometer reading they provide at the time of order.

My dealer didn't do that, so they have to reorder mine. That being said, apparently there is a back order for them, so it must be a common issue.

Stuck in a 4 cylinder Chrysler 200 until it gets in :(

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
I would take to the dealer of I were you as your odometer is no longer accurate since you drove it. This is problematic as when you go to sell the car, you have to attest that the vehicle is actual mileage under penalty of law. While I doubt much would come of it, any dealer could pull up the mileage on your pcm and see it doesn't match your odometer.

If your dealer hasn't replaced one before, make sure they pull the actual mileage off the pcm before they order. When the dealership orders the cluster from jeep it comes preprogrammed with the odometer reading they provide at the time of order.

My dealer didn't do that, so they have to reorder mine. That being said, apparently there is a back order for them, so it must be a common issue.

Stuck in a 4 cylinder Chrysler 200 until it gets in :(
Thanks for the head's up! I sent them both my video and this thread. I made an appointment for Thursday. Dang it.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Oh lord please tell us the 2019’s are not going to have issues like the 18’s
I would say they may have it worse. Some other posts said nothing changed, but didn’t they add collisions avoidance or something. That would require some programming changes and even if you dont have that option I’m sure the software is different from the 2018s.

Also, this makes me remember all the very early posts about people waiting for the 2019s so FCA could work out all the bugs that the owners of the 2018s would discover.
Well guess that didn’t work out.

I’m seeing many of the same problems the 2018s has pop up in the 2019s

Hope you get your issues resolved. It is truly a remarkable vehicle when it works and operated correctly.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
So it's 30°F this AM. I started up the blue beast and the cluster keeps rebooting. I do have the engine block heater but I haven't turned it on yet. I had THOUGHT I'd only need it when we get a real Arctic blast and the temps are in the negatives. I have the jeep warming up in the garage and will post later if it keeps crashing.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
It has continued to crash, even after having warmed up the engine. This clip is from my drive back from work. The RPM & MPH gauges don't work and the cluster crashes over and over.

Now, I thought it had to do with the temperature but that clip was after driving about 5 miles. The 17°F temperature on the display is incorrect. It was much warmer, around 30°F I think.

I'm going to guess that water may have gotten into the system from underneath, or it is a software bug. If it's the former I'll be a bit disappointed in this models ruggedness. If it's the latter it'll just be an irritation but at least it won't be due to poorly designed protection of the components. I don't know why but I'm more forgiving of technical bugs.

BTW. It was still a fun drive up the Blue Mounds early this AM. While it's not the rocky back trails so often posted about on these threads, it was pretty sweet not having to worry about freshly fallen, unplowed snow!

IMG_20190101_182341_961.jpg

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Took it into the dealership. They are going to replace the entire cluster or whatever. The only issue they had was identifying what part to actually order. I continues to crash and the gauges fail to work when it's first stated. It eventually does all return to normal functions.

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
I'm surprised my '19 cluster looks different than yours. I don't have the analog temp or fuel gauges like that one, mine are digital, and part of the info screen..

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
I'm surprised my '19 cluster looks different than yours. I don't have the analog temp or fuel gauges like that one, mine are digital, and part of the info screen..
This is a Sport S. What model do you have?

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
Sahara. I would have thought the electronics were the same for these major subassemblies..

IMG_2645.jpg

Last edited:

Mrking1883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler
Took it into the dealership. They are going to replace the entire cluster or whatever. The only issue they had was identifying what part to actually order. I continues to crash and the gauges fail to work when it's first stated. It eventually does all return to normal functions.
Is the dealer letting you drive your jeep? Mine told me they can't adjust the preprogrammed odometer. So my jeep is grounded until the cluster arrives.

Side note- The dash depends on what option/package you order. The Sahara comes standard with the digital fuel and temp gage.

The sport s can have the digital fuel and temp if you upgrade to the larger radio.

I have dumb knowledge like this from building countless different configurations for the better part of a year
Sponsored