Dash instrument cluster failure after two days

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
It's been since the last week of December and I'm still waiting to hear back from my dealership. I'm so glad they didn't try to keep my jeep.
Have you called them or engaged Jeep Cares?
Sponsored

BCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99TJ, 2019JLURubicon
At just 2000 miles, I have had the same gauge cluster issue occur this morning (23 degrees F.) First showed up as a brake on light, and then went away for about .5 miles; the gauge cluster continued to cycle, and neither the tach nor speedometer worked.

I drove 5 miles to a gas station and filled the tank, the same issues continued after restarting. About a mile further down the road, everything began to work correctly and continued to work properly the additional 30 miles to my office. I have scheduled the Jeep (2019 JLU Rubicon) for service next Thursday. I will update the forum after that.

Incidentally, the reported odometer miles are completely correct for the miles I traveled this morning.

One other item of note; I pulled the cover on the fuse box under the hood; at least 8 fuses definitely snapped further into place when pressed. All fuses appeared seated prior to my pressing each one.

Last edited:

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At just 2000 miles, I have had the same gauge cluster issue occur this morning (23 degrees F.) First showed up as a break on light, and then went away for about .5 miles; the gauge cluster continued to cycle, and neither the tach nor speedometer worked.

I drove 5 miles to a gas station and filled the tank, the same issues continued after restarting. About a mile further down the road, everything began to work correctly and continued to work properly the additional 30 miles to my office. I have scheduled the Jeep (2019 JLU Rubicon) for service next Thursday. I will update the forum after that.

Incidentally, the reported odometer miles are completely correct for the miles I traveled this morning.

One other item of note; I pulled the cover on the fuse box under the hood; at least 8 fuses definitely snapped further into place when pressed. All fuses appeared seated prior to my pressing each one.
Hope you get it fixed soon. I'm on day 4 with a new Dash Cluster and all has been working fine

Mrgrumpy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 2019
Update had the new dash cluster in for a week and no issues what so ever yet and had some below 20 mornings where it should have been evident to see. Fingers crossed that it's gone for good now and working properly.

Sponsored

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update had the new dash cluster in for a week and no issues what so ever yet and had some below 20 mornings where it should have been evident to see. Fingers crossed that it's gone for good now and working properly.
Great news!!! mine has been in now for 6 days and no issues to report.

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Add me to the list. Cluster reset on the test drive lol. Was pretty cold (15 F). Warmed up and was fine. Happened 3 more times after I got it home, all when starting it up on a cold day. Doesn't seem to have the issue once it warms up. Will wait to see if those people who got the new dash cluster have the issue fixed, then will take it in. More an annoyance than anything else.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Add me to the list. Cluster reset on the test drive lol. Was pretty cold (15 F). Warmed up and was fine. Happened 3 more times after I got it home, all when starting it up on a cold day. Doesn't seem to have the issue once it warms up. Will wait to see if those people who got the new dash cluster have the issue fixed, then will take it in. More an annoyance than anything else.
Since mine has been fixed no issue in a week and a half.

tntsJL

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Picked up my ’19 Rubicon on Saturday February 23 and had my first cluster malfunction 2 days and 105 miles later. Same symptoms; the tachometer, speedometer and the odometer stopped working and the instrument cluster display re-boots every 30 seconds. Problem goes away after everything warms up but on restart after the Jeep has been setting the problem re-occurs. Ambient temperature in the morning when the problem first occurred was 27°. Of course, 4 hours later when I drove to the dealership and after the Jeep had been parked in the sun and the interior warmed up, everything was ok. The re-boot, speedo and rpm reading zero, has now re-occurred multiple times. Also, it is curious that every time the Jeep is restarted the driver side seat and the steering wheel heat turns on. I disabled the seat and steering wheel heat and turned off the climate control but on every restart the seat/steering wheel heat re-activates. I have an appointment to have it checked out on March 1st.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Picked up my ’19 Rubicon on Saturday February 23 and had my first cluster malfunction 2 days and 105 miles later. Same symptoms; the tachometer, speedometer and the odometer stopped working and the instrument cluster display re-boots every 30 seconds. Problem goes away after everything warms up but on restart after the Jeep has been setting the problem re-occurs. Ambient temperature in the morning when the problem first occurred was 27°. Of course, 4 hours later when I drove to the dealership and after the Jeep had been parked in the sun and the interior warmed up, everything was ok. The re-boot, speedo and rpm reading zero, has now re-occurred multiple times. Also, it is curious that every time the Jeep is restarted the driver side seat and the steering wheel heat turns on. I disabled the seat and steering wheel heat and turned off the climate control but on every restart the seat/steering wheel heat re-activates. I have an appointment to have it checked out on March 1st.
Video it and show the dealer. It really helped my case. They immediately ordered me a new dash cluster. The clusters seem to always be back ordered however Jeep cares was able to expedite by a week.

Sponsored

tntsJL

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I took 3 videos and I will show them to the service manager on Friday; also copied 7 pages of dash problems from this forum forum thread.

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Picked my Jeep up about 2 weeks ago after getting the dash cluster replaced, has worked well since then with no issues

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Good to hear that the new dash cluster seems to fix the issue. I will make sure I have a few videos and reference this thread.

Janice

First Name
Janice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Squad: 2006 Flame Red LJ, 2018 Gobi JKU Sahara, 2018 Hella Yella JLU Rubicon, 2019 Mojito! JL Rubicon
Video it and show the dealer. It really helped my case. They immediately ordered me a new dash cluster. The clusters seem to always be back ordered however Jeep cares was able to expedite by a week.
Mine has been at the dealer since January 31 still waiting for this back ordered instrument cluster. I tried to contact Jeep Cares twice through forum private messaging with no response. An online chat to Jeep Wave, however, has resulted in them helping me. Jeep Wave had an expediting team on the part manufacturer, who kept promising a delivery date and then when the date arrived would suddenly need an extension. (Currently saying 1st week of March) Now that we are approaching 30-days without my Jeep... the dealer called me yesterday that Jeep has contacted them and is looking to possibly do a buy-back from Jeep and give me a new one. I will find out Monday, I think. And yes, the part has to be ordered to the exact odometer reading on your Jeep.. so it is stuck at the dealer until the part comes in :/

BCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99TJ, 2019JLURubicon
Update

My 2019 JLUR was taken to the dealership this morning to have the gauge cluster issue diagnosed. (by coincidence, at 14 degrees F. this morning, the issue reappeared and then resolved itself with in 0.2 miles).

I was told that there is now a service bulletin on the issue. This mentioned that the issue is related to cold weather.

The gauge cluster will be replaced under warranty; the down side is that the Jeep must remain at the dealership when the new unit is ordered. I was told that is required because the odometer mileage on the gauge cluster unit must match the odometer mileage held by the main computer.

When the new part is ordered, the dealership must include the current mileage with the order so that the new unit may be correctly set with the current mileage. To do otherwise risks voiding the warranty and I suspect a few state laws on odometer settings. Apparently a dealership can not set the mileage on the unit themselves.

I have scheduled an appointment to start this process 11 days from now.

The upside... the dealership will provide me with a loaner for the duration.
Sponsored