Sponsored

Dash cams for soft top - What should I get?

Muddog17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the JL 2 door Sport S - what more do I need!
Occupation
Self emplyed
Vehicle Showcase
Hello fellow Jeepers,

Just wondering about the above?

What dash cam should I get for my Soft top?
I also have the hard top but the soft top is on like 10 months of the year.

I would like a double camera so I can check out the front and also out the back.
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've had good success with the Blackvue DR900s-2CH dashcam. It is relatively small and can blend into your rearview mirror at first glance if placed right.

It handles the heat well, but not as well as my other dashcam which is a BlackSys. The BlackSys ch-200 was a flatter shape and dispersed heat better. However due to it's physical layout, it is hard to mount on my current Jeep with a smart mirror due to the mirror being a thicker build.

Both work well.

Note: I live in FL and the Jeep gets parked in direct sun for most of the day. So heat is a concern. I've not had either of the two above fail at any point.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Hello fellow Jeepers,

Just wondering about the above?

What dash cam should I get for my Soft top?
I also have the hard top but the soft top is on like 10 months of the year.

I would like a double camera so I can check out the front and also out the back.
Blackvue is what I use, it hides well in the front and the back installs at the rear light. I bought 2 and just listed one in the market place.

AuroraStanley

First Name
Aurora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys & a 2016 Kawasaki Ninja.
I'm new to dash cams.. (& Jeeps. & the forum....) so forgive my naiveté, but does the Blackvue not have a screen?

Since it appears that the Guardian does... does it also still connect via bluetooth/wireless?

I'd like to have a dash cam, but don't even know where to start on research.. & have no idea what the pros & cons would be on either.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I only own a soft top but have used my old $50 Blue Sky Sea (front only) on the Wrangler and my prior vehicle. There are several small cylinder types for not much more that do front and back. I just velcro mine to the plastic trim by the rearview mirror and it's not obvious. I leave it in the Wrangler with the top down and only remove it when I'm running doors off and shopping somewhere. Quick to remove/install and if it gets stolen, I spent $50 for it 4+ years ago.

GatorMBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I’m a fan of the Street Guardian line myself. Been using them for years. Upgraded to a dual camera version on my Jeep and installed the rear camera on the sound bar. Decent view when top is on and better view when top is off.

Pics of it installed:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1158432

Sample video I captured from front and rear cams:

Sorry to necro an old thread, but @ConqSoft ... any chance you can take a picture of how you have your rear-facing cam mounted up on the sound bar? And maybe how you bind up your cable? I have a camera I really like and I'm about to swap from hard top to a myTop... and I'm trying to figure out a good configuration for the rear cam. Thanks!

mal

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2021, JK SPORT 2008
Sorry to necro an old thread, but @ConqSoft ... any chance you can take a picture of how you have your rear-facing cam mounted up on the sound bar? And maybe how you bind up your cable? I have a camera I really like and I'm about to swap from hard top to a myTop... and I'm trying to figure out a good configuration for the rear cam. Thanks!
Check out Casey 250 on youtube - around 7 min mark