Sponsored

Dash Cameras, I want one but what's good?

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
For the people that set theirs up, did you just pull the trim off the pillars? Like is there a certain order for removing the trim or some hidden screws you have to remove?
Like Sloxkhart98 said, it’s real easy and you don’t have to take the trim off. You just use the tool provide to open up the trim a little and push the wire in.
Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
8699E3D0-D873-4E28-82BC-54B85B2DF451.jpeg
Here’s the wires guys! Would be nice if they had a color code in the manual?

Two on the left are the larger gauge.

Currently installing BlackVue DR750S-2CH
Here you go Spank.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Here you go Spank.
Ah okay. I'm still debating tying it to whatever wire I can find available up in the a-pillar so it simply runs when the Jeep does or actually connecting it directly to power so that it can still fire up with motion while the Jeep is off. But I didn't know the aux wiring included two independent ones separate from the switches.

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
Ah okay. I'm still debating tying it to whatever wire I can find available up in the a-pillar so it simply runs when the Jeep does or actually connecting it directly to power so that it can still fire up with motion while the Jeep is off. But I didn't know the aux wiring included two independent ones separate from the switches.
The homelink/visor mirror harness is right up at the driver A pillar. It has +, -, ignition +. Perfect for dash cam and easy to get at.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I have the dash cam connected to both the ignition wire and direct to battery wire using this: https://www.amazon.com/Power-Magic-...F8&qid=1518809589&sr=1-3&keywords=power+magic

Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I am giving the Thinkware F800 Pro a shot this time.

Last two dash cams I had were Blackvue. They are reliable - but I always have issues connecting to them via wifi on Android. iPhones work flawlessly with it, but require a bit of nonsense to connect.

Amazon wins - Can return it if I don't like it. The Thinkware may be a little too bulky - I will have to see.

henkler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I just installed my BlackVue DR750S. A few notes that might help some others.

Using the Power Magic Pro for power and battery protection
Do not use the AUX connectors (HD electrical group). I originally thought this would be a great feature as it would allow the dashcam to be manually turned on/off on the dash. Great idea, but unfortunately very quirky with the PMP.

If you accidentally hit the AUX switch to turn off the camera, the PMP assumes your battery is dead, and must be powered off/powered on manually on the PMP. If this is in an inconvenient place (e.g. hidden away), it is a pain. I couldn't find any combination of turning the car off/turning off switches that would "reboot" it.

Workaround: I used the Red/White wire under the passenger seat instead for the "Battery" connection. Works great, but no manual killswitch.

Also, the PMP needed to be put in 12.0V mode instead of the default 12.5V. Initially, the battery held enough charge to keep it running with the ignition off. But after some time of draining the battery with the dome lights, it refused to stay on in 12.5V mode. I initially thought I fried my PMP during the install.

If you are doing a direct wire (e.g. no PMP), using AUX3 or AUX4 is probably fine. Just go into Uconnect and set it to "battery" instead of "ignition" if you want to enable parking mode on your camera. And keep an eye out for battery drain.

Placement of a rear camera for soft top
The easiest option is to just run the wire down along the side of the car. Easily tucks in and a straight shot to the back window.

But, if you have a soft top (or dual top), putting the rear camera on the back window isn't great for when the soft top is on.

Putting the camera on the pillar below the rear dome light seems like a near-perfect compromise. It is even protected from light rain when the top is down by the frame. See picture below. You get a reduced field of view out the back, but can see a little out the side windows as well.

I wired mine directly from the front to the dome light inside the pillars along the roof. Takes a little more effort and you have to unscrew some of the torx screws on the trim along the pillars to loosen them enough for wire insertion. Not as easy as running along the floor. But if you do it right it looks absolutely perfect.

If you don't care about rain, you can probably mount it on the rear side of the back pillar above the dome light. You'll see less of the wire that way, and will probably get a marginally better field of view.
IMG_0300.jpg

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Well I’ve had this camera for about two weeks and I’m having problems with it. Last night the rear camera just stopped working. The cable is good. I’ve done resets etc and nothing.

The Cloud Server is useless in my opinion. You have to be near a hotspot. And when I am at home with a great WiFi signal it still has issues. Trying to view a recorded video takes a long time. Also a lot of connection issues. Disconnecting reconnecting....

This might just be that the unit I have is bad. I am dealing with BlackVue support and will update

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well I’ve had this camera for about two weeks and I’m having problems with it. Last night the rear camera just stopped working. The cable is good. I’ve done resets etc and nothing.

The Cloud Server is useless in my opinion. You have to be near a hotspot. And when I am at home with a great WiFi signal it still has issues. Trying to view a recorded video takes a long time. Also a lot of connection issues. Disconnecting reconnecting....

This might just be that the unit I have is bad. I am dealing with BlackVue support and will update
I was actually looking into BlackVue this morning and wondering if this exact thing would happen because they mentioned having a hotspot in the car. I’ve never had a dash cam but this new OWL cam looks handy. BlackVue looks like it has the best camera by far but this Owl looks like it has the superior ease of use granted after the first year you will have to pay $10/Month. Since they were launched Feb 1 they’re selling at $350 + 1 Year of LTE and he said later this year it will be $300 for the unit and then $10/month.

Can anyone with more experience with “cloud capable” dash cams chime in?

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon

Try updating the firmware. Mine has been working great. I agree, the cloud is useless unless you use the hotspot in the car. It’s nice to know if someone is snooping around the car at night.

Sponsored

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I still like my Garmin 65W. At night, I just back in to my driveway and it captures anything that moves in front of the truck. Very wide angle (think GoPro) and has so far worked flawlessly. The blackvue looks really nice, but not nice enough for me to swap out now.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Try updating the firmware. Mine has been working great. I agree, the cloud is useless unless you use the hotspot in the car. It’s nice to know if someone is snooping around the car at night.
Yeah my firmware was installed to 1.003 when I first got it Sloxkhart but thanks! I did it with the app so I wonder if that is causing the problems.

I powered down the cameras and let it sit longer and it’s now working again.

The cloud is nice at home for the reason you mentioned if it stays connected. I bought a WiFi extender which has made the connection a lot more stable but it does occasionally disconnect and reconnect still. And I’m also having the other problems with taking a long time to view the recordings.

I might take the card out and try and install the firmware again with the computer. Is that how you did it?

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I was actually looking into BlackVue this morning and wondering if this exact thing would happen because they mentioned having a hotspot in the car. I’ve never had a dash cam but this new OWL cam looks handy. BlackVue looks like it has the best camera by far but this Owl looks like it has the superior ease of use granted after the first year you will have to pay $10/Month. Since they were launched Feb 1 they’re selling at $350 + 1 Year of LTE and he said later this year it will be $300 for the unit and then $10/month.

Can anyone with more experience with “cloud capable” dash cams chime in?
This looks nice Lurvis33! He made it a little confusing, at one point it sounded like you would have 60 mins free a month and then if you wanted to add more minutes you could do an in app purchase to add extra minutes.
But then he stated that there would be a $10 a month fee. I won’t if those 60 mins are what the $10 a month gives you, if so that would be BS in my opinion.

I’m personally almost $10 a monthed to DEATH!!!!

I like the inside camera on it.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
This looks nice Lurvis33! He made it a little confusing, at one point it sounded like you would have 60 mins free a month and then if you wanted to add more minutes you could do an in app purchase to add extra minutes.
But then he stated that there would be a $10 a month fee. I won’t if those 60 mins are what the $10 a month gives you, if so that would be BS in my opinion.

I’m personally almost $10 a monthed to DEATH!!!!

I like the inside camera on it.
Yea I’m not necessarily a fan of monthly fees. Also what do you do when you got top off or doors off? Do you take down the camera and lock it in the center console or just leave it up all the time?

henkler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yea I’m not necessarily a fan of monthly fees. Also what do you do when you got top off or doors off? Do you take down the camera and lock it in the center console or just leave it up all the time?
I'm leaving mine in place. It looks like part of the Jeep the way it is installed behind the mirror. And with the optional "tamper proof case" it is marginally harder to remove than just pressing the button on the mount.
Sponsored