Sponsored

Dash Cameras, I want one but what's good?

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Are any of your dashcams capable of handling direct hot sunshine for hours and the car getting hot hot inside like in Florida for example? Seems like specs on most cams suggest the won't tolerate that kind of heat, and covering the camera up with a sunscreen sort of defeats the purpose for the cams that have motion triggered recording when parked.
Sounds like the OWL CAM would be perfect for your requirements
https://owlcam.com?rfsn=1288309.2f8b8
03-02-18-11-06-21_FB_Static_Illustration_OwlMessage_1200x268.jpg
Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
thank you. just what I am looking for. The owl operates only to 120 deg F, and that temp is easily exceeded inside a car in direct sunlight, so would be useless as parking mode motion detector recorder. the
BlackSys CH-200 2 Channel Dash Cam sounds like it might work the best, at least up to 158 deg, and the Thinkware X550 is designed for heat with buttons instead of touchscreen and high temp cutoff.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
No problem! The article is a bit old but their customer service has been helpful if you wanted to ask them for updated opinions.

Jorian610

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Design
I chose to use two dashcams, front and rear. I prefer to have two for redundancy. Also, better rear video quality without a cable front to rear.

I have two of these in the mail (Rexing V1 3rd gen). I like the wedge shape and HDR.

Use an older Rexing on my Miata and I'm happy with it.

download.jpeg
I just received my Rexing V1P Pro camera and the hard wire kit. The hardwire kit has the fuse attached to the wire. Did you use a similar hard wire kit? I am trying to decide if I should try to fish this wire through the firewall or use the existing Aux wires under the dash. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I'm a big fan of simplicity, so my Mobius Max hides under the rear view mirror and has no LCD screen. It's 4k, but that's really just 2k blown up. I've got a capacitor in mine and a really long USB cable for power. It has WiFi, but that's a clunky mess and I just unscrew the dashcam from it's base if I need to pull footage. It cost about $80 shipped straight from China. The mount was about $20 and $10 for the really long USB cord that's hidden along the windshield, A pillar, and trim.

dashcam.jpg

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I'm a big fan of simplicity, so my Mobius Max hides under the rear view mirror and has no LCD screen. It's 4k, but that's really just 2k blown up. I've got a capacitor in mine and a really long USB cable for power. It has WiFi, but that's a clunky mess and I just unscrew the dashcam from it's base if I need to pull footage. It cost about $80 shipped straight from China. The mount was about $20 and $10 for the really long USB cord that's hidden along the windshield, A pillar, and trim.

dashcam.jpg
How are you liking the MM? Although there is no parking mode, it looks like a good value option.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
My wife gets so aggrivated when I park so far away from everyone. And I'm like "would you rather a short walk or have me in a pissy mood all night if somebody jacks my shit up" !?
This has been my habit with every vehicle I owned. To win the battle I insist on dropping her off where ever we go and then I park to make me happy. I then leave early to walk to the vehicle and go pick her up.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Placement of a rear camera for soft top
The easiest option is to just run the wire down along the side of the car. Easily tucks in and a straight shot to the back window.

But, if you have a soft top (or dual top), putting the rear camera on the back window isn't great for when the soft top is on.

Putting the camera on the pillar below the rear dome light seems like a near-perfect compromise. It is even protected from light rain when the top is down by the frame. See picture below. You get a reduced field of view out the back, but can see a little out the side windows as well.

I wired mine directly from the front to the dome light inside the pillars along the roof. Takes a little more effort and you have to unscrew some of the torx screws on the trim along the pillars to loosen them enough for wire insertion. Not as easy as running along the floor. But if you do it right it looks absolutely perfect.

If you don't care about rain, you can probably mount it on the rear side of the back pillar above the dome light. You'll see less of the wire that way, and will probably get a marginally better field of view.
IMG_0300.jpg
Did you consider mounting it upside down on the top back side of the bar? I would think It would have a higher perspective and not block the dome light.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone's still in the market for a daschcam, The BlackVue DR900S-2Ch kit is one of the best out there, and today it was deeply discounted on Amazaon. This is the lowest price I've ever seen and about $66 less than the typical going rate on Amazon. The kit inlcludes the camera and the PowerMagic Pro box which let's you set how power is handled when the Jeep ignition is off (i.e. DVR Feature). Click the link above to see the deal if interested. Happy Shopping!

Eduardo909

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL MOAB

dashcam.jpg
You have a link to the mount?

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
How are you liking the MM? Although there is no parking mode, it looks like a good value option.
I like it a lot. I need to probably plug it into a computer because the capacitor won't maintain correct time beyond 2 or 3 days of non-use. Here's an example of the video quality at 2k:

You have a link to the mount?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0102CK1BS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like it's gotten cheaper since I bought it.

jimmydarnell

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sport
Note the Owlcam will not record the inside of Jeep without advising on screen it is recording.

from one of there reps:
"My apologies for the delay. There isn't a way to have the inside camera recording if the front camera is the only one being displayed. You can set the camera to display a black screen, from inside the menu on the camera itself. If the inside video and audio are being recorded, it will say that on the camera screen."

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
Hi guys,
I'm pulling the trigger on The BlackVue DR900S-2Ch for my JLU. It seems one of the best options out there.
I'm just wondering if someone has tried the Power Magic EZ, where you just have to connect it to the Wranglers OBD. It seems like a very simple plug and play solution compared to the hardwired normal Power Magic Kit.
Thanks
Sponsored