Sponsored

Dash Cameras, I want one but what's good?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys,
I'm pulling the trigger on The BlackVue DR900S-2Ch for my JLU. It seems one of the best options out there.
I'm just wondering if someone has tried the Power Magic EZ, where you just have to connect it to the Wranglers OBD. It seems like a very simple plug and play solution compared to the hardwired normal Power Magic Kit.
Thanks
Never heard of that... interesting approach. Mine's permanently plugged into the 12v socket. On a previous vehicle I had hardwired the power magic kit so it would record while parked, but the camera got too hot with the vehicle sitting in the sun.
Sponsored

LVJeepn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bikini Pearl
Occupation
CNC Laser Programmer, CAD Designer
I use Nexar in both of our vehicles. It uses a smart monitoring app that detects g forces in case of collisions. It auto starts and stops when you start vehicle. I got them for free when we moved to Vegas, they were doing a release promo. They seem pretty reasonable on price for what they include. Main downside is now rear view capabilities.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
Never heard of that... interesting approach. Mine's permanently plugged into the 12v socket. On a previous vehicle I had hardwired the power magic kit so it would record while parked, but the camera got too hot with the vehicle sitting in the sun.

I really want to use the parking mode so I think I will give it a go

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I finally mounted the Blackvue DR900S-2CH with the Power Magic EZ.
Setup was pretty easy and is working just fine, and is discrete enough.
I´m having a little trouble with the EZ. Just managed to get it to work with the setting on the photo. Every other combination does not power the dash cam, even with the car running. :/

Blackvue 1.jpg

Blackvue 2.jpg

Blackvue 3.jpg

Blackvue 4.jpg

Blackvue 5.jpg

Blackvue 6.jpg

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
So, I finally mounted the Blackvue DR900S-2CH with the Power Magic EZ.
Setup was pretty easy and is working just fine, and is discrete enough.
I´m having a little trouble with the EZ. Just managed to get it to work with the setting on the photo. Every other combination does not power the dash cam, even with the car running. :/

Blackvue 4.jpg
unrelated, but what is that interior back rack thing? Is there a thread on that accessory?

Sponsored

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unrelated, but what is that interior back rack thing? Is there a thread on that accessory?
This a workaround that Jeep uses to lower the taxes here in Portugal. Portugal has a very very heavy tax on cars, so by adding this separation from the passengers to the trunk, it is classified as a utility vehicle (like a pick up) and paying less taxes.
That's the same reason that 2drs here only have 2 seats.
Even with this, final price for a 4dr JL Sport S is around 66k and a Sahara or Rubicon around 77k. Without this, they would cost around 100k.
Stupid taxes...

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
If FCA was paying attention and wanted to do something smart then they would build a ball mount and a USB port into the trim around the rear view mirror to give you most of what you need.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can the Power Magic EZ be used with a Tazer? I'd assume the answer is 'no'

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
If FCA was paying attention and wanted to do something smart then they would build a ball mount and a USB port into the trim around the rear view mirror to give you most of what you need.
I would love that stock but, believe FCA is being smart in not doing this for us. This supports aftermarket companies and drives aftermarket innovation...

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Do Dash Cams have to have GPS Co- ordinates, time and date, for the videos to be accepted as evidence ? Can insurance companies deny a claim based on that lack ?

Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
You would think that video showing the vehicles involved (with license plates displayed and landmarks) would meet the criteria for evidence. Because if you had a camera and destroyed the footage the court would claim spoliation of evidence. It refers to intentional or negligent withholding, hiding, alteration or destruction of evidence relevant to a legal proceeding. Accordingly, it is inferred that a person who destroys such evidence does it with consciousness of guilt. I mention this because some members have mention destroying or “loosing” the SD card after an accident in which the video would undermine their defense or shine a less then favorable light on their driving records.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

SheltieJL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
i used a cheap hard wire kit from amazon and used the constant power wire where the aux wires are. Keeps the dashcam always powered and it has a safety to shut off if voltage gets low. Then I got a Garmin 45, to test out before upgrading to a 55 and its' saying a problem with the wire. Thinking of doing the garmin cable as you guys have but have the same question about where to tap into accy wire?
Ordering a Garmin dash cam with parking cable. Did you figure out where to connect the power and acc wires? Thanks!

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
Anyone with the Blackvue get the optional LTE connectivity module?
Sponsored