Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Recently installed a dash cam. Coming home from town yesterday, we witnessed the vehicle in front of us suddenly lose it on the icy bridge. Once they cleared the bridge, the vehicle caught traction again and flew off the side of the road, flipped over forward, and landed upside down 25ft down in the ravine.

We were first on the scene, called 911, and helped with the rescue. Thankfully, an off duty first responder was second on the scene... was able to break a window and pull the family of three out, all in shock but miraculously not hurt!

Careful on the roads out there!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Chitt can happen...

Anyway, an Emergency Car Escape Tool, should be readily available in every guys/gals vehicle.
To me it is a must have.

I've had to use such a tool many times and once you have an occasion to use one, you will always keep one readily available in your vehicle.

On my JL, I have a very brightly colored, (see pic) Resqme The Original Emergency Keychain Car Escape Tool, fastened/Velcro... to the inside, (at the top) of the glove box, where it is very visible and easy to get to...

They make great Xmas stocking stuffer gifts.... great give-ya, love you, to the Son or Daughter for their vehicle..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6C18EC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 3 pack:
https://www.amazon.com/RESQME-Origi...0198490&sprefix=glass%20breaker,aps,74&sr=8-8

Made in the USA
Jeep Wrangler JL Dash Cam - Witnessed Icy Bridge Crash Capture.JPG

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Good thing you saw that. People coming later may not have.
Yes, no way to see the vehicle from the road. Needed to stand over the near cliff to see. They could have been stuck for a long time.

Sponsored

j2.pictures

First Name
Justin Null
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
CDJR Salesperson
Chitt can happen...

Anyway, an Emergency Car Escape Tool, should be readily available in every guys/gals vehicle.
To me it is a must have.

I've had to use such a tool many times and once you have an occasion to use one, you will always keep one readily available in your vehicle.

On my JL, I have a very brightly colored, (see pic) Resqme The Original Emergency Keychain Car Escape Tool, fastened/Velcro... to the inside, (at the top) of the glove box, where it is very visible and easy to get to...

They make great Xmas stocking stuffer gifts.... great give-ya, love you, to the Son or Daughter for their vehicle..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6C18EC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 3 pack:
https://www.amazon.com/RESQME-Original-Emergency-Keychain-Seatbelt/dp/B06Y1W4WSG/ref=sr_1_8?crid=253FZ0G34OHLX&keywords=glass+breaker&qid=1670198490&sprefix=glass%20breaker,aps,74&sr=8-8

Made in the USA
might even buy one for myself!

j2.pictures

First Name
Justin Null
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
CDJR Salesperson
Recently installed a dash cam. Coming home from town yesterday, we witnessed the vehicle in front of us suddenly lose it on the icy bridge. Once they cleared the bridge, the vehicle caught traction again and flew off the side of the road, flipped over forward, and landed upside down 25ft down in the ravine.

We were first on the scene, called 911, and helped with the rescue. Thankfully, an off duty first responder was second on the scene... was able to break a window and pull the family of three out, all in shock but miraculously not hurt!

as per the other comments, it is a good thing you were there! Glad you stopped and were able to help in some way.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The wide angle view of the camera makes it less dramatic than it was. Seeing the car flip over the guard rail and go airborne was scary. Don't know if the audio catches it but both my wife and I said 'oh my god' at the same time.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Chitt can happen...

To me it is a must have.

A 3 pack:
https://www.amazon.com/RESQME-Original-Emergency-Keychain-Seatbelt/dp/B06Y1W4WSG/ref=sr_1_8?crid=253FZ0G34OHLX&keywords=glass+breaker&qid=1670198490&sprefix=glass%20breaker,aps,74&sr=8-8

Made in the USA
Great suggestion... gonna get something such as that for all of our kids this xmas.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
The wide angle view of the camera makes it less dramatic than it was.
This. I have captured a few videos of cars changing lanes just off my bumper and then when I look at the video I realize I could never convince anyone that it was as dangerous as it was.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Chitt can happen...

To me it is a must have.

A 3 pack:

Made in the USA
One thing to remember when stashing these. When you need it, you may have just had a violent crash and you may be upside down or on your sides. Store it in reach and very securely or you may not find it or reach it.

Also remember that nearly every vehicle's driver & passenger headrests can be removed so the posts can be used to break windows. Maybe not the easiest thing to remove immediately after a crash or submersion, but they are always there, they're unlikely to fly away in a crash and they are designed as an emergency egress tool. That's why the end of the posts are pointed.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
One thing to remember when stashing these. When you need it, you may have just had a violent crash and you may be upside down or on your sides. Store it in reach and very securely or you may not find it or reach it.

Also remember that nearly every vehicle's driver & passenger headrests can be removed so the posts can be used to break windows. Maybe not the easiest thing to remove immediately after a crash or submersion, but they are always there, they're unlikely to fly away in a crash and they are designed as an emergency egress tool. That's why the end of the posts are pointed.
All of this 100%, I know because Iā€™m on the islands community emergency response search and rescue team.

****also when using any tool the best impact spot is directly at the lower corners of the vehicle windows.****

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Off topic, how do you like your Blackvue camera? I know it's a bit more expensive than others (like the Viafo, Garmin, or the whole lot of knockoffs). Is it truly "you get what you paid for"?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This reminds me: I need to have a dashcam installed. Especially on my Fiat 124 Spider.
Sponsored