Albert95

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wranglwr JLU Sahara
Hey Guys,
I have a JLU Sahara with the upgraded rear view mirror. I am looking to hardwire a dash cam into the wiring for the power rear view mirror. Does anyone have a video on how to this? I don't want to mess up the wiring in my jeep. I am new to DIY electrical stuff... What do I have to cut on the USB cable for the dash cam and what do I have to cut in the rearview mirrors wiring and how should it look before I put it back together? Pictures/videos will help a lot please help me out!!
Thanks
Sponsored

Reactions: baz

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I saw that video but what to do next? this is my first car mod so I dont know what things need to look like after
My Rexing dash cam required a power adapter to provide a proper USB power plug for the dash camera. The power module was small enough to fit under the cowl over the mirror and the micro USB connector poking out above the windshield where the camera is permanently mounted. Tapping into those wires is tight, I soldered and heat shrinked mine in because there wasn't much space for crimp ons.

If you aren't comfortable wiring such things, I wouldn't recommend doing it, just use the lighter plug that came with the camera or a long USB cable tucked into the trim up to the camera.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Hey Guys,
I have a JLU Sahara with the upgraded rear view mirror. I am looking to hardwire a dash cam into the wiring for the power rear view mirror. Does anyone have a video on how to this? I don't want to mess up the wiring in my jeep. I am new to DIY electrical stuff... What do I have to cut on the USB cable for the dash cam and what do I have to cut in the rearview mirrors wiring and how should it look before I put it back together? Pictures/videos will help a lot please help me out!!
Thanks
Don't splice into the USB and wire it to 12V, you will fry your dash cam. USB voltage is 1.5V, the adapter has a transformer to bump the voltage down to the appropriate level. There are hardwiring kits available to make this pretty easy. If you have the aux switches, you can use the constant or aux power wires in the passenger kick panel and then route the cable up to your camera. If not, you just need to test and find a constant hot or switched hot wire to use.

Just search on Amazon and there are plenty of kits. This one includes fuse tap attachments which wouldn't be my first choice, but would work.

https://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB-Min...e&qid=1564491113&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Sponsored