Sponsored

Dash Cam Fuse Tap - Need ON and ACC Fuses

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Sahara 4xE
Which fuses are you using for dash cams that support parking mode? I need to tap into an ACC fuse that only turns on when the vehicle is in use, and I need a fuse that is always on. I tried a couple today without success. Documentation is very poor

I've searched the forums and youtube quite a bit, many of you haven't bothered with fuse taps...which is very suprising since that is by far the cleanest and most standard way to wire something like a dash cam. I have aux switches but I am going to use those for other things.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I need to tap into an ACC fuse that only turns on when the vehicle is in use, and I need a fuse that is always on.
For a fuse that’s on with the vehicle on, use the fuse for the cigar lighter (F52) or one of the heated seat fuses (F57 or 58).

For always on, move the fuse for the rear power outlet from F43 to F45 and tap into that.

OP
OP

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For a fuse that’s on with the vehicle on, use the fuse for the cigar lighter (F52) or one of the heated seat fuses (F57 or 58).

For always on, move the fuse for the rear power outlet from F43 to F45 and tap into that.
Why would you need to move F43 to F45? Is it designed for this so that you can control power to that outlet?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Which fuses are you using for dash cams that support parking mode? I need to tap into an ACC fuse that only turns on when the vehicle is in use, and I need a fuse that is always on. I tried a couple today without success. Documentation is very poor

I've searched the forums and youtube quite a bit, many of you haven't bothered with fuse taps...which is very suprising since that is by far the cleanest and most standard way to wire something like a dash cam. I have aux switches but I am going to use those for other things.
my understanding is that if you have the factory aux switches you have an extra pair of wires inside, with one being hot and one on ACC. These are separate from the 4 wires for the AUX switches. I plan to use these when I install my BlackView camera rather than running fuse taps.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Why would you need to move F43 to F45? Is it designed for this so that you can control power to that outlet?
One position makes the rear outlet always hot, the other only hot with ignition. IMO I'd just go straight to the battery with always hot, inline fuse if needed, less messing around in fusebox.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes.

OP
OP

rtk513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My tap won't fit at F35, hangs over. Any others you can think of?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Assume you mean F43. I reversed the fuses in my post above. F43 is on battery. F45 is on with ignition.

Put the fuse tap in with the wire end facing the back of the vehicle. Make sure you’re using a micro fuse tap.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
For always on usage I tap the rear cargo power outlet. If you have one it is always on by factory default. I bought a cigarette lighter plug with a long cord and snaked it under the floor mats to the front of the vehicle.

Moving Fuse 81 to 91 though would make it accessory functioning--only on when the vehicle is.

I tapped the sun visor mirror wires for accessory wires.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Moving Fuse 81 to 91 though would make it accessory functioning--only on when the vehicle is.
That's not the correct fuse for the rear power outlet. It's F43/45.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU

Why do you need both always-on and ACC-on?

I use a dashcam that uses so-called "supercapacitors".

I've found that the in-dash USB ports will "wake up" whenever they are plugged in, and stay powered for 5-10 minutes or so before going to sleep again.

Actually, sleeping in the jeep a few times, I've noticed that the dash will often power up randomly throughout the night. I've ended up stuffing a towel or shirt into the instrument panel to keep it from constantly blinding me.

I set my camera for Parking mode, and whenever it hears a fox screaming, or an acorn falls on the jeep, or the wind buffets it too much, it wakes up and starts recording, which wakes up the jeep and charges it for X minutes.

Downside: this is surely killing my battery more quickly with all the false alarms.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
i ran 2 wires out and tapped cig lighter for access and just to battery for always on

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That's not the correct fuse for the rear power outlet. It's F43/45.
I’m not believing you anything but correct Dave.

The fuses I reference, as per the owner’s manual, control when the rear power port is energized, rather than if it is.

with fuse bay 81 occupied the rear plug acts as a battery type outlet that’s always energized: irrespective of the rig’s crank state.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Why do you need both always-on and ACC-on?

I use a dashcam that uses so-called "supercapacitors".

I've found that the in-dash USB ports will "wake up" whenever they are plugged in, and stay powered for 5-10 minutes or so before going to sleep again.

Actually, sleeping in the jeep a few times, I've noticed that the dash will often power up randomly throughout the night. I've ended up stuffing a towel or shirt into the instrument panel to keep it from constantly blinding me.

I set my camera for Parking mode, and whenever it hears a fox screaming, or an acorn falls on the jeep, or the wind buffets it too much, it wakes up and starts recording, which wakes up the jeep and charges it for X minutes.

Downside: this is surely killing my battery more quickly with all the false alarms.
a fair number of dash cameras determine whether they should be in parking mode based on whether the accessory plug they’re connected to is energized, irrespective of what actually powers the camera.

parking mode is enabled when the electrical current in the accessory outlet is not available

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Just run it to the battery, the less junk you put on your fuse block the better. Ever seen an automobile fuse melt? It's not uncommon, would you rather one melt in an inline fuse holder that you can easily cut out or in your fusebox? Combine that with the fact that those fuse taps are generally cheap Chinese garbage with terrible consistency. I know its sometimes necessary but IMO anytime you can avoid going to a fusebox, do so. I haven't seen many fuseboxes melt, but I've seen enough to know I never want to go through it.
Sponsored