Sponsored

Dash Buzzing intermittently @ round grill-like hole about where the driver's right knee would be.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Another dash buzzing thread. I actually tried looking this up in these forums and did a google search and didn't find anything about this noise. If i over looked it and it's already posted somewhere, Sorry...

This is a 2020 3.0 EcoDiesel Wrangler, though I don't know why this part of the dash would be any different than a Gas 3.6 or 2.0. I believe this is the Auto Climate Control sensor. This buzzing has been going on since I bought the Jeep new in March of 2020. I just haven't been at the dealership, at the same time it chooses to make the noise. I'll be taking it in for them to look at, but I wanted to share my experience.

So this buzzing is intermittent, it does it about 30% of the time I'm driving. It buzzes when hot, and when cold. It seems like it does it when the A/C is on and when it is off. I can be driving fast, or slow, or even parked. I do the typical Jeep thing and just turn up the radio some. Most of the time it's buzzing but I'm so used to it, that it doesn't capture my attention... just like a background noise. Sometimes it's louder, and sometimes is quiet. I can't hear very well so that may be part of why its been ignored for so long.

I pulled the cover off from under the steering wheel to take a closer look at it. It seems to have a little motor on it to draw air through the sensor. I'm assuming its a variable speed motor, or it has a bad bearing in it or something. I've had both junk/leaves fall into the A/C vents and blower motors go out on previous vehicles, and it sounds very similar. I believe this is part number 55111178AC Temperature Cabin Air Sensor

Here is a few pictures and a little video of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash Buzzing intermittently @ round grill-like hole about where the driver's right knee would be. 1606663848740

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash Buzzing intermittently @ round grill-like hole about where the driver's right knee would be. 1606663769112

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash Buzzing intermittently @ round grill-like hole about where the driver's right knee would be. 1606663871662

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash Buzzing intermittently @ round grill-like hole about where the driver's right knee would be. 1606663900579
Sponsored

Last edited:

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are you sure it’s the blower motor? A buzzing type sound was a common problem on earlier JLs from that area under the steering wheel. Although it’s a slightly different position that what you’re describing, but may be worth taking a look.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...peaker-sound-charlie-brown-adult-sound.40926/
Yeah, its very obvious the noise is coming from that little hole. None of the Charlie Brown videos sound anything like that. Also speakers come through crystal clear. I could be mistaken though...

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
isn’t that the interior ambient temperature sensor? That has a motor turning a tiny little fan to take in air to measure the temp, I bet your little fan is what’s making that noise...

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
isn’t that the interior ambient temperature sensor? That has a motor turning a tiny little fan to take in air to measure the temp, I bet your little fan is what’s making that noise...
Thats what I'm thinking. It starts spinning when I put it to run/start. When it starts making noise again I'm going to pull the cover off and catch it in the act! I'll try to get it on video, and start it/stop it.