Sponsored

Dart Kicker Upgrade Speakers and Bass Blocker?

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Those of you who upgraded the 3.5" dash speakers to the Kicker speakers from the Dart (77KICK25AB), did you add a bass blocker capacitor?

I have the stock 7" non-Alpine system, and after removing the stock 8 ohm 3.5" speaker see it has a 2.2 uF capacitor, which translates to a crossover of over 10 kHz. Wondering whether to solder in a cap on the new Kicker 4 ohm speakers, a different crossover than the stock speakers, and if so what the experience of other's has been. Thanks!
Sponsored

JeepinInIdaho

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 3500, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Those of you who upgraded the 3.5" dash speakers to the Kicker speakers from the Dart (77KICK25AB), did you add a bass blocker capacitor?

I have the stock 7" non-Alpine system, and after removing the stock 8 ohm 3.5" speaker see it has a 2.2 uF capacitor, which translates to a crossover of over 10 kHz. Wondering whether to solder in a cap on the new Kicker 4 ohm speakers, a different crossover than the stock speakers, and if so what the experience of other's has been. Thanks!
I have the identical situation as you. My research has uncovered many people stick them in without any passive crossover and are completely happy. The other installations seem to vary between 300-600 hz blockers. My local stereo shop tells me 1.2 kHz is where this size speaker should be clipped. I'm contemplating splitting the difference at 800 hz.

Have you completed your install? What did you use and are you happy with the results?

OP
OP
LatteSipper

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Hey @JeepinInIdaho - I installed without a crossover. I figured the swap is so easy if wanting to add a crossover later it wouldn’t be a hassle. I’m happy with the results though, the sound is clearer and has more range at all volumes. With the windows down and the Sunrider open the dash speakers sound much better to me. The overall system needs more work, but that’s a separate issue.

JeepinInIdaho

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 3500, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hey @JeepinInIdaho - I installed without a crossover. I figured the swap is so easy if wanting to add a crossover later it wouldn’t be a hassle. I’m happy with the results though, the sound is clearer and has more range at all volumes. With the windows down and the Sunrider open the dash speakers sound much better to me. The overall system needs more work, but that’s a separate issue.
Hey I really appreciate the reply, based on your results I think I’ll give it a go straight stock. Thank you.

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
At high volumes I didn't like the sound so I installed 600hz bass blockers. I desoldered a little piece of metal and soldered them next to the factory wiring connector to retain original wiring. They help a lot with sound at high volumes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dart Kicker Upgrade Speakers and Bass Blocker? PXL_20230411_160300599

Jeep Wrangler JL Dart Kicker Upgrade Speakers and Bass Blocker? PXL_20230411_160322274

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This takes me back lol. I had those in my JK.. or rather, I was the brave idiot on another forum that discovered they'd fit in the 2015+ JKs lol :D

They can handle a surprising amount of bass, but you might want to err on the side of caution if you have the alpine amp.

IDK they're not expensive and the worst that can happen is you blow the speaker. I don't know how loud you listen to music. It'll probably be fine if you try it without anything first.
Sponsored