Sponsored

Dana Spicer Chrome Moly D44 Front Axle Shaft Project (Retaining The FAD)

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
The MC mounts are related to the 2.5" Fox DSCs. I need an offset to keep the shocks from hitting the frame at full droop and the "knobs" at the bottom of the shocks are hitting on parts of the MC mounts and one of the bolts.

The DS shafts have no interference anywhere...you are good to go.
Dealt with a similar issue on Monday. We installed RPM steering on my buddy’s JT with a TF stabilizer. Those items don’t play well together. The body of the stabilizer hits the TPM tierod if you turn hard left OR the adjuster knob on the stabilizer hits the diff if you turn hard right. Take your pick.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
** Final Update**

Unless someone has questions and I'll be happy to answer them. Took it out today after finalizing the install of the front Fox DSCs (had to modify the MC lower shock mounts and needed some die tool bits so had to wait on them to show up).

No issues whatsoever--drove for a while in 2H and 4H and no problems, no weird noises or anything like that (the Fox DSCs ride much better than the Rocksports too!). Very happy with the overall results--Dana should offer the same as an aftermarket part versus the FAD delete only setup they sell.

@rkwfxd + @Spencer + @roaniecowpony + @blnewt + @chevymitchell + @BuyHold + @BadA$$Rubi + @word302 + @Howardlv22 + @mwilk012 + @OBJLU

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
** Final Update**

Unless someone has questions and I'll be happy to answer them. Took it out today after finalizing the install of the front Fox DSCs (had to modify the MC lower shock mounts and needed some die tool bits so had to wait on them to show up).

No issues whatsoever--drove for a while in 2H and 4H and no problems, no weird noises or anything like that (the Fox DSCs ride much better than the Rocksports too!). Very happy with the overall results--Dana should offer the same as an aftermarket part versus the FAD delete only setup they sell.

@rkwfxd + @Spencer + @roaniecowpony + @blnewt + @chevymitchell + @BuyHold + @BadA$$Rubi + @word302 + @Howardlv22 + @mwilk012 + @OBJLU
Have you emailed these details to Dana? It seems like the best possible solution for long term use of the FAD with aftermarket axles.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
My RCV inner/inner and collar arrived today. Still waiting on the DS axles which was anticipated. I'm excited to get this project moving.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you emailed these details to Dana? It seems like the best possible solution for long term use of the FAD with aftermarket axles.
Honestly, I would not know where to send any details and sadly given the fact they designed the axle and the FAD delete kits, they should already know about this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dana designed the original system, so it would be obvious to them on what it would take to create a 4340 version.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I would not know where to send any details and sadly given the fact the designed the axle and the FAD delete kits, they should already know about this.
Antoinette L Goodloe
Dana Aftermarket
Technical Support
Phone # 800.621.8084 - Opt #3
[email protected]
[email protected]

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 5,000 miles on the Jeep now since the installation of the Dana shafts. I'm happy to report there been zero issues, no complications, no popping, and no strange sounds. It works fine in two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive. I've had it on a road trip for a few thousand miles and I've also had it off-road in varying conditions and it works like a charm.

Very happy with my choice versus RCVs.

Sponsored

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 5,000 miles on the Jeep now since the installation of the Dana shafts. I'm happy to report there been zero issues, no complications, no popping, and no strange sounds. It works fine in two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive. I've had it on a road trip for a few thousand miles and I've also had it off-road in varying conditions and it works like a charm.

Very happy with my choice versus RCVs.

I had no doubts. Nice work @CarbonSteel! I would love to do the same but Dana Aftermarket is dragging their feet with supply. I’m still waiting on my Chromoly front axle shafts. Order placed 6/6/22. The last update for shipment is sometime in May. Total BS! Is anyone else waiting for these?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had no doubts. Nice work @CarbonSteel! I would love to do the same but Dana Aftermarket is dragging their feet with supply. I’m still waiting on my Chromoly front axle shafts. Order placed 6/6/22. The last update for shipment is sometime in May. Total BS! Is anyone else waiting for these?
I just helped @rkwfxd order a set a few days ago from Drivetrain America.

One left in stock (was two when he ordered his on the 24th and he received them on the 30th):

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/1...ntek-jeep-jl-4340-chromoly-axle-kit-w-e-lock/

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
Im making progress on the same mod. Got the front shafts and had the nipple machined. I’ve now ordered the rear shafts and some cast iron Majave knuckles. Already have the Artec trusses. I’ll need to save up for Ball Joints and truss welding.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I followed carbon steel's lead and machined my Dana 4340 axles last week. My axle had some hard spots which caused me some heartache and I missed matching it to the RCV bushing size. So I made a matching bronze bushing for the RCV shaft. The bushing is press fit in a blind hole. So, I had to use grease to hydraulic it out. It all worked out.

20230222_131226.jpg
Sponsored