Sponsored

Dana Spicer Chrome Moly D44 Front Axle Shaft Project (Retaining The FAD)

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there locking hubs that could fit a Dana 44 to offset the need for the FAD? Obviously come convenience is lost, but maybe some robustness is gained?

Usually only see 1-ton axles with locking hubs, but why couldn't the dana 44 have them?
tl;dr Yes, you can but it would be custom and require a bigger bolt pattern and different wheels.

Starting with the XJ in 1984, Jeep went to unit bearings. The YJ followed 3 years later. The CJ (through 1986) and full size Jeep trucks (through 1988) were the last of the locking hub Jeeps. The full size grand wagoneer had the same dana 44 front through 1991 but by that time dropped locking hubs as an option and had factory drive slugs to be "always locked".

The design of locking hubs forces them to be bigger in diameter. To get them strong enough you need bigger parts. The CJ had a 5x5.5" bolt pattern while the full size wagoneer and J truck had a 6x5.5" or 8x6.5" pattern. They all had a large hole in the wheel for the hub assembly. Any smaller and it's not strong enough.

There was a kit to adapt the XJ/YJ/TJ with a smaller bolt pattern but it never held up to normal use.

It is possible to design a replacement for the unit bearing. You'd need a spindle that bolts where the unit bearing went, and then probably use a CJ style front hub and bearings, along with a custom outer shaft. You'd need different brake parts too. And then you would want to modify the rear to have the same bolt pattern.
Sponsored

Jeepge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 3.6 etorque
Hello everybody,
My first post here, sorry if asking stupid question:)
I made similar bronze bushing for my 2021 rubi with stock inner and outer shafts. My plastic bushing was completely worn out so I was gessing what should be the correct outer ring width, I made it 4mm. Can you suggest what is the correct size of it and is +- some mms acceptable here? I'm worried if the length of my combined shaft(inner shaft width+bushing ring+outer shaft) has become too long and potentialy damage gears inside the differential or something. Thanks in advance