Sponsored

Dana Spicer Advantek Gears After REM Isotropic Finishing

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Received both sets of 4.88 gears back from GearFX today and they are beautimus! I waffled (a lot) on having this done, but after my last UOA, I decided that I would try it to see if not only the break-in process is faster and produces less iron, but that the gears run cooler overall in the long run.

Time will tell as @rustyshakelford will be installing these as soon as he gets a gap in his schedule, but a quick shoutout to @chevymitchell for recommending that I have this done. I have a solid baseline of UOAs to gauge these new gears against and I will UOA as frequent with them to see how they compare.

More to follow in the coming days/weeks/months...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Spicer Advantek Gears After REM Isotropic Finishing q10etI

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Spicer Advantek Gears After REM Isotropic Finishing q10Nu

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Spicer Advantek Gears After REM Isotropic Finishing q10OwN
Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’m doing some very similar, I debated for a long while about whether or not to get tons but I’m not going to spend close to 15k plus while I’m still paying on the Jeep. Instead I am having a set of gears made by crown race gears, they are rated for use up to a 40 inch sticky on Dana 44, they also apply the same finishing process and a few other things like cryogenic treatment

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you look for anywhere around the Houston area to do the finishing before sending them off?
Not really, ChevyMitchell had recommended the shop and I sent them off to them after checking out their website. It took two days after receiving them to do the work which includes hand de-burring.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How'd these workout? I'm tempted to go with 5.38's with 40's. I have a dana 60 rear so I'm not concerned there but the front is what I'm worried about breaking.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Received both sets of 4.88 gears back from GearFX today and they are beautimus! I waffled (a lot) on having this done, but after my last UOA, I decided that I would try it to see if not only the break-in process is faster and produces less iron, but that the gears run cooler overall in the long run.

Time will tell as @rustyshakelford will be installing these as soon as he gets a gap in his schedule, but a quick shoutout to @chevymitchell for recommending that I have this done. I have a solid baseline of UOAs to gauge these new gears against and I will UOA as frequent with them to see how they compare.

More to follow in the coming days/weeks/months...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Spicer Advantek Gears After REM Isotropic Finishing q10OwN

So what do you think?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How'd these workout? I'm tempted to go with 5.38's with 40's. I have a dana 60 rear so I'm not concerned there but the front is what I'm worried about breaking.
Great so far. I have about 3,300 miles on them and they are producing far less iron than the OEM gears did.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So what do you think?
I think the break-in was zero and the iron being produced is far less than the OEM gears. They are a bit harder to setup because it is hard to see the patterns on the gears (they are mirror finished).

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I received my latest UOA results for the rear axle today. Although I need more trending, I can attest at this point the isotropic polishing is a winner and worth the cost. Here's why:

1. The is no break-in needed. You literally can drive out of the shop and not have to perform heat cycles as you do with non-polished gears. You still need to change the oil, but that is a given. For these folks who live long distances from the re-gearing shop, this prevents you from having to stop multiple times for the heat cycles. NASCAR teams use this technology because they do not have the time to break-in gear sets.

2. Iron generation is 34% less (thus far) with the isotropic polished gears versus black oxide coated gears. My OEM 4.10 gear sets produced 410PPM in 3,390 miles and the isotrophic gears produced 271PPM for the same miles. It will take more miles to see how the polished gears reduce the iron versus OEM, but I am very happy with the results thus far.

@DanW @chevymitchell

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The majority of people drive 100k+ miles and never service anything but the engine, and here we debate the microscopic advantages of polishing gears and excessively changing fluids. What a world.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I received my latest UOA results for the rear axle today. Although I need more trending, I can attest at this point the isotropic polishing is a winner and worth the cost. Here's why:

1. The is no break-in needed. You literally can drive out of the shop and not have to perform heat cycles as you do with non-polished gears. You still need to change the oil, but that is a given. For these folks who live long distances from the re-gearing shop, this prevents you from having to stop multiple times for the heat cycles. NASCAR teams use this technology because they do not have the time to break-in gear sets.

2. Iron generation is 34% less (thus far) with the isotropic polished gears versus black oxide coated gears. My OEM 4.10 gear sets produced 410PPM in 3,390 miles and the isotrophic gears produced 271PPM for the same miles. It will take more miles to see how the polished gears reduce the iron versus OEM, but I am very happy with the results thus far.

@DanW @chevymitchell
How much did the REM process cost? Is there any reason to do the front if you still have a FAD?

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
It might sound stupid, but could this mirror polishing prevent proper gear break-in? Same as cylinders in the engine? Nobody polishes cylinders as this would prevent proper seating of the rings. It would produce less metal in engine oil during break-in, but would be detrimental to engine performance. For some reason I feel like its the same with gear polishing. I might be completely wrong.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
How much did the REM process cost? Is there any reason to do the front if you still have a FAD?
$125 per R&P set plus return shipping.

It might sound stupid, but could this mirror polishing prevent proper gear break-in? Same as cylinders in the engine? Nobody polishes cylinders as this would prevent proper seating of the rings. It would produce less metal in engine oil during break-in, but would be detrimental to engine performance. For some reason I feel like its the same with gear polishing. I might be completely wrong.
The process isn’t actually polishing the surfaces at all. It’s a chemical process that is KINDA like polishing in that it produces a smooth, shiny surface but it really isn’t the same thing. But the main takeaway is no, it does not negatively affect the metal’s ability to do its job.

I’m waiting to get contacted any day to be told my gears are ready to come home.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, not at all, in fact quite the opposite--it aids in the break-in, which technically, there is no break-in. The process is used by NASCAR and other racing entities who do not have time for break-in processes. They simply setup the gears and hit the track at 200+ MPH.

In effect, the process knocks down the "hills" without impacting the "valleys". All manner of sins can be covered in black phosphate. My gears produced far less metal during the first 1000 miles versus the OEM and have been stellar ever since. The only drawback, if there is one, is they can be more difficult to setup as the pattern is harder to see.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
East coast gear recommends 85-140 conventional Lucas. Jeeps specs are obviously different. What did everyone use for break-in? I went ahead and had the rear gearset REM treated..
@CarbonSteel @chevymitchell
Sponsored

Last edited: