First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ5, 2020 JLUR, Harley Road Glide ST & FXFBS
Occupation
Explosives.
Just an FYI on the axle seals for the JL.
I have torn an axle seal in the front right on my 2020 JLUR. 44,000ks.
The Jeep has seen snow, sand, mud, river crossings and one salt water crossing at pebbly beach. Always cleaned thoroughly when getting home.
I pulled off the RH front wheel, brakes, unit bearing and pulled the axle to see quite a bit of surface rust on the shaft. When I pulled the FAD off I was able to pop the busted seal out of the seat with a little effort using the back side of a shifter. Getting a new one back in will be an adventure as there is nothing on youtube documenting this process inside the FAD opening. I will likely make a threaded tool to push it into place neatly and evenly.

Anyway, the seal from Jeep was quoted at $480. Laughable of coarse. I went to bearing traders with the seal and all the info i could pull off it as its a national bearings item. To my dismay bearing traders cannot find this part in their inventory and mentioned that it may be to new of an item and possibly the aftermarket world has not caught up yet. I'm finding it hard to accept this.
No listing on rock auto, quadrateck are out of stock so I will be forced to pay mymopar in the states US$78.00 plus shipping. Still cheaper that Jeep here in Aus but not the $20 I was hoping for locally.

I will update the thread as the process comes along for anyone else looking to do the same when the seal sh!ts the bed. Clean your axle tubes :like:

axle seal JL.jpg
Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I can tell the prices from Jeep au are broken…

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Was there problem that made you take a look at the seal, or were you just having a look?

DevilDogJeeper

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
After replacing my front axle shafts with the Yukon FAD delete I have a leaky passenger side (FAD side) leak as well. I'm not finding anything on Youtube myself so any details on the replacement would be appreciated.

Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Dealership here in the US just quoted $110 for the seal... 🙄
Last time I asked for a quote of front locker wiring from our dealer. I Google it and it was sold for 50 USD, our dealer quotes 700 AUD. LMAO

20JUR

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
Try this link for passenger side axle seal.

brad.jones

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I will update the thread as the process comes along for anyone else looking to do the same when the seal sh!ts the bed. Clean your axle tubes :like:
Hey AJ, I have the same oil leak & need to replace the same seal. What did you end up doing? Just buying the Mopar Part? #68396635AA Or did you manage to find something locally in Australia?

Bloody UAW strikes aren't helping matters 🙄

OP
OP
AJ CJ5

AJ CJ5

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ5, 2020 JLUR, Harley Road Glide ST & FXFBS
Occupation
Explosives.
Hey sorry for the late reply, I don't get on here that often. You can find me on insta @jlrubicon_jeske for a quick response.

Yeah that was the part number from memory.

I made a puller device with some threaded bar and pulled the new seal into place. Hardest part was cleaning the seat where the inner seal would seat with access via the FAD opening. Anyone in Newcastle or close by are welcome to use this tool. I'll flick a pic up when I get a chance here.

brad.jones

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah I ended up making my own custom tool. Wire wheel on a threaded rod worked ok to clean up the seal seat. And then used the same rod to make up a puller.

FWIW for anyone else wanting to replace this seal, rock auto do have it listed just not under the Gladiator. Found under it under the 2019 JL listing.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11310944&cc=3443725&pt=1852&jsn=981
Sponsored