limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wanting to upgrade axle shafts since installing 37" tires. I finally decided on the RCV 1 piece fronts and Dana Advantek rears. However, no one has the RCV shafts in stock and RCV said they are at least three weeks out from being able to ship them. Since I leave for work (overseas) in two weeks, I went with the Dana front shafts (with FAD delete, part # DAN10044474) so I can get them installed since my son drives this jeep. I'll run these shafts for awhile and then get the RCV front shafts and move the Dana shafts to my 19 JLUR.

Like others have posted, the Dana front shafts don't come with the passenger intermediate shaft (from FAD to diff). I'm not sure how strong the stock intermediate shaft is, but the Dana kit does eliminate the plastic bushing and small FAD coupler. So this kit does make that area stronger, but not as strong as a one piece kit. The yokes are much bigger than stock and these shafts do have 1410 series u-joints with full circle snap rings.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0263
Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0264

The install is pretty straightforward, especially if you have done axle shafts before. There were two things in particular which took a little more time to address, one is due to lack of instructions and the other is purely Dana's fault.

On the FAD delete plate there are four bolt holes, but no provision for the two nubs on the FAD gasket surface. This caused the delete plate to not sit even remotely flat against the housing. I figured the two options were to either grind the nubs down or to clearance the plate. I used the gasket as a template and found I could drill a hole on one side of the plate and grind a small section from the edge on the other side. Didn't have any gray paint, so I covered the areas with black satin.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0275

The next issue was when we were inserting the passenger side shaft into the housing. It wouldn't seat into the intermediate shaft. Then I remembered something about a plastic bushing and removed the stock intermediate shaft. There's a plastic bushing/sleeve in the intermediate shaft where the inner/outer shaft gets inserted. The Dana part is larger diameter than the stock and requires the removal of this plastic bushing. These two shafts are then joined by the new, larger coupler. In the picture, the plastic bushing broke when I was pulling it out with pliers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0271

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0272

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0282

The only other issue is Service Four Wheel Drive is now displayed in the cluster. I will be using the Tazer to remove this.

If you've never done shafts before, the unit-bearing can be a bear to remove. Some good tapping on it with a dead blow hammer should free it up. Once it's off, I used a semi-abrasive wheel on my drill to clean off the rust from the hub and knuckle. I then used anti-seize on those areas to assist in easier removal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0265

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0266

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0270

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_0269

The rears are pretty simple. You need to use some force to free the rear shafts. A combination of a ball peen hammer and pry bar will force the shafts out. The bearing races were still stuck inside the housing on mine. I used the hook of a bearing puller to get the races to move outward a little (be very careful you don't nick the housing where the races sit). Once the races moved a little, I was able to pull them out with my fingers applying equal pressure to the race. You'll want to have your fingers 180 degrees apart, ie. pull on the race at the 3 and 9 o'clock position.

I will feel more comfortable once I get RCV front shafts, but I think the Dana front shafts are strong enough and eliminate the weak spots (yoke ears, u-joints, and FAD assembly - plastic bushing and coupler) to be worth the money.
Sponsored

Mindflowers

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk Jeep JL
Any way you can explain how to install FAD delete I am working on axel and want to make sure I install it correctly !! Please and thank you! I’ll attach pic of how I have it in the morning

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Any way you can explain how to install FAD delete I am working on axel and want to make sure I install it correctly !! Please and thank you! I’ll attach pic of how I have it in the morning
I can try.....it's been awhile!

You'll need to disconnect the FAD harness and zip tie it up and out of the way. Remove the passenger side axle shaft and then you can remove the FAD actuator. Put a pan underneath the the FAD as a small amount of lube may dribble out. Nows a good time to remove any dirt, crud, etc. from your axle tube.

Once the FAD actuator is removed, the collar should be left on the inner shaft or it might've fallen off Remove the collar and then you will need to remove the plastic bushing at the outer end of the inner shaft. You can try to remove it with the shaft still in the axle. Depending on what kind of pliers or pry tools you have, you might be successful. You won't need this bushing again unless you plan on keeping your stock shafts as spares. Mine broke when I pulled it out.

If you can't get to the bushing with the shaft still in, then you'll have to remove the c-clip (pull on it with a pair of pliers) and slide the inner shaft out. The bushing should be able to be removed pretty easily at this point. Make sure you keep the c-clip as you'll need it when re-installing the inner shaft.

Re-install the inner shaft and c-clip if necessary. Slide the new axle collar onto the inner shaft. I believe the beveled end points towards the pumpkin, but I'm not 100% sure. Insert the new Advantek passenger side outer shaft and align the spines at the end of the shaft into the new collar. It really helps to have someone at the FAD opening to help line up the shaft, but can be done solo.

Once the shaft is inserted in the collar, verify the collar is positioned correctly and the outer axle is seated all the way through the collar and into the inner shaft. The collar should slide a little bit, but will be limited by the c-clip on one side.

You can then install the new FAD gasket and cover plate. Re-install the hub, brake parts, etc. Use the new axle new supplied with the new shafts. Top off your diff fluid if needed (it won't be much).

I elected to keep the FAD wiring harness in case I ever wanted to use it again. I taped the plug end up with self-vulcanizing tape to keep it clean and secured the harness with zip ties up by the frame.

It's pretty easy and you'll know if the new collar is installed incorrectly as the shafts won't seat together all the way.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I would've installed new ball joints and outer axle shaft seals at this point. I ended up doing those things later and had to remove/re-install the shafts. It would've been easier and faster to do all the those parts when doing the shafts initially.

I hope I answered your questions. Let me know if it worked for you.

Mindflowers

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk Jeep JL
Mannnnnnn thanks so much !! Great explanation here’s a pic of how mine is looks and feels right so I think the beveled end is towards the pumpkin ! Also I ordered a plate online from this site that properly fits cause I was gonna shave down or drill the jokes like you did but I found the plate and it was pretty cheap. Soils be in here in a few days ! Thanks a lot man I just really wanted to make sure I had it on the right way as there is NO info online none at all lol I’ll let you know as tomorrow I’m going to begin installing it into my 2007 jku I’m currently working on a little conversion project
I got the jk super at a steal but the catch it is 2wd I already have everything I need just turns out I might need a tranny swap cause my manual trans mission end output shaft where it meets 2wd yolk/ where tcase goes is not correct spline wise as the out out shaft is 30 spline and tcase 23 spline im looking into if I can just replace the shaft or what but it’s looking like it would be cheaper to get a transmission off eBay but almost there if I didn’t get the Jeep at such a steal I’d just sell it and get a 4wd but it’s a fun little project I’ll post pics when finished! Idk if anyone knows about Jeep manual transmissions that could give me some insight!

92337FD4-6C4E-48C9-9F3E-8B0BE7A144BE.jpeg

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mannnnnnn thanks so much !! Great explanation here’s a pic of how mine is looks and feels right so I think the beveled end is towards the pumpkin ! Also I ordered a plate online from this site that properly fits cause I was gonna shave down or drill the jokes like you did but I found the plate and it was pretty cheap. Soils be in here in a few days ! Thanks a lot man I just really wanted to make sure I had it on the right way as there is NO info online none at all lol I’ll let you know as tomorrow I’m going to begin installing it into my 2007 jku I’m currently working on a little conversion project
I got the jk super at a steal but the catch it is 2wd I already have everything I need just turns out I might need a tranny swap cause my manual trans mission end output shaft where it meets 2wd yolk/ where tcase goes is not correct spline wise as the out out shaft is 30 spline and tcase 23 spline im looking into if I can just replace the shaft or what but it’s looking like it would be cheaper to get a transmission off eBay but almost there if I didn’t get the Jeep at such a steal I’d just sell it and get a 4wd but it’s a fun little project I’ll post pics when finished! Idk if anyone knows about Jeep manual transmissions that could give me some insight!

92337FD4-6C4E-48C9-9F3E-8B0BE7A144BE.jpeg
Yeah, that looks right. And hey, if it feels right then roll with it!

I discovered the same problem about lack of instructions or anything online.

Sounds like you got a fun project on your hands. I don't know much about the JK and it's manual transmission, so can't help any with that. Since you're in Vegas, there's gotta be some shops or Jeep groups around who have done something like that before. Good luck!

Sponsored

Mindflowers

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk Jeep JL
Awesome brother really appreciate you responding man!
By the way do you still have the fad delete installed did you have any issues or anything after installing it?? Or all good ran fine?
And yeah man I’ve been looking into it but it seems like a rare case too just like this FAD delete I can’t find any info on it because of the manual trans part it seems super easy on auto but I can’t find any info or anyone that has done it before on a manual so it’s looking like I’m just going to swap my trans and just move forward cause literally that’s the only step I need to finish! I’ll send you some pics when I’m done ! I’ll def post about it when finished to share my experience to anyone else trying to do this conversion! Haha

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation EAA874E4-55DE-4081-BEBA-5B13289A5B4A

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome brother really appreciate you responding man!
By the way do you still have the fad delete installed did you have any issues or anything after installing it?? Or all good ran fine?
And yeah man I’ve been looking into it but it seems like a rare case too just like this FAD delete I can’t find any info on it because of the manual trans part it seems super easy on auto but I can’t find any info or anyone that has done it before on a manual so it’s looking like I’m just going to swap my trans and just move forward cause literally that’s the only step I need to finish! I’ll send you some pics when I’m done ! I’ll def post about it when finished to share my experience to anyone else trying to do this conversion! Haha

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation EAA874E4-55DE-4081-BEBA-5B13289A5B4A
Still have the FAD Delete and have no issues whatsoever.

3GunJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've swapped JTR axles in to my ZJ. I ordered this kit and it came with zero instructions. I found this post and its very helpful. My question is what do I do with the snap ring looking piece and rubber bushing? I'm keeping my factory shafts just deleting the FAD. TIA

I can try.....it's been awhile!

You'll need to disconnect the FAD harness and zip tie it up and out of the way. Remove the passenger side axle shaft and then you can remove the FAD actuator. Put a pan underneath the the FAD as a small amount of lube may dribble out. Nows a good time to remove any dirt, crud, etc. from your axle tube.

Once the FAD actuator is removed, the collar should be left on the inner shaft or it might've fallen off Remove the collar and then you will need to remove the plastic bushing at the outer end of the inner shaft. You can try to remove it with the shaft still in the axle. Depending on what kind of pliers or pry tools you have, you might be successful. You won't need this bushing again unless you plan on keeping your stock shafts as spares. Mine broke when I pulled it out.

If you can't get to the bushing with the shaft still in, then you'll have to remove the c-clip (pull on it with a pair of pliers) and slide the inner shaft out. The bushing should be able to be removed pretty easily at this point. Make sure you keep the c-clip as you'll need it when re-installing the inner shaft.

Re-install the inner shaft and c-clip if necessary. Slide the new axle collar onto the inner shaft. I believe the beveled end points towards the pumpkin, but I'm not 100% sure. Insert the new Advantek passenger side outer shaft and align the spines at the end of the shaft into the new collar. It really helps to have someone at the FAD opening to help line up the shaft, but can be done solo.

Once the shaft is inserted in the collar, verify the collar is positioned correctly and the outer axle is seated all the way through the collar and into the inner shaft. The collar should slide a little bit, but will be limited by the c-clip on one side.

You can then install the new FAD gasket and cover plate. Re-install the hub, brake parts, etc. Use the new axle new supplied with the new shafts. Top off your diff fluid if needed (it won't be much).

I elected to keep the FAD wiring harness in case I ever wanted to use it again. I taped the plug end up with self-vulcanizing tape to keep it clean and secured the harness with zip ties up by the frame.

It's pretty easy and you'll know if the new collar is installed incorrectly as the shafts won't seat together all the way.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I would've installed new ball joints and outer axle shaft seals at this point. I ended up doing those things later and had to remove/re-install the shafts. It would've been easier and faster to do all the those parts when doing the shafts initially.

I hope I answered your questions. Let me know if it worked for you.
q1lps0sbb8qtn1a7oaxd.jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've swapped JTR axles in to my ZJ. I ordered this kit and it came with zero instructions. I found this post and its very helpful. My question is what do I do with the snap ring looking piece and rubber bushing? I'm keeping my factory shafts just deleting the FAD. TIA

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation q1lps0sbb8qtn1a7oaxd.jpe
Since you're using just the FAD delete, you'd need to remove the FAD motor, remove the outer stub/intermediate shaft, replace the stock collar with the new thicker collar (beveled side to inside), and button everything back up.

I don't think you'd need to pull the stock c-clip (snap ring) as the inner shaft shouldn't need to be removed and reinstalled to install the FAD delete. I don't know if the c-clip included in the FAD delete is different than the stock one. From what I remember, they are the same (thickness, etc.). If you can reuse the stock clip, you'll now have a spare.

There's already a plastic bushing in the outer end of the inner shaft. There's a corresponding nipple protruding from the inner end of the intermediate shaft which rides inside this bushing. Again, if the stock bushing is in good shape, keep the new one as a spare.

I have yet to find out what/where the piece of cardboard is used for. It was included in my kit too and I couldn't figure out where it goes or what its used for.

Let me know if you need any further information.

3GunJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Perfect. Should be a very simple installation.
Thanks for the clarification.

Since you're using just the FAD delete, you'd need to remove the FAD motor, remove the outer stub/intermediate shaft, replace the stock collar with the new thicker collar (beveled side to inside), and button everything back up.

I don't think you'd need to pull the stock c-clip (snap ring) as the inner shaft shouldn't need to be removed and reinstalled to install the FAD delete. I don't know if the c-clip included in the FAD delete is different than the stock one. From what I remember, they are the same (thickness, etc.). If you can reuse the stock clip, you'll now have a spare.

There's already a plastic bushing in the outer end of the inner shaft. There's a corresponding nipple protruding from the inner end of the intermediate shaft which rides inside this bushing. Again, if the stock bushing is in good shape, keep the new one as a spare.

I have yet to find out what/where the piece of cardboard is used for. It was included in my kit too and I couldn't figure out where it goes or what its used for.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Sponsored

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wanting to upgrade axle shafts since installing 37" tires. I finally decided on the RCV 1 piece fronts and Dana Advantek rears. However, no one has the RCV shafts in stock and RCV said they are at least three weeks out from being able to ship them. Since I leave for work (overseas) in two weeks, I went with the Dana front shafts (with FAD delete, part # DAN10044474) so I can get them installed since my son drives this jeep. I'll run these shafts for awhile and then get the RCV front shafts and move the Dana shafts to my 19 JLUR.

Like others have posted, the Dana front shafts don't come with the passenger intermediate shaft (from FAD to diff). I'm not sure how strong the stock intermediate shaft is, but the Dana kit does eliminate the plastic bushing and small FAD coupler. So this kit does make that area stronger, but not as strong as a one piece kit. The yokes are much bigger than stock and these shafts do have 1410 series u-joints with full circle snap rings.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation q1lps0sbb8qtn1a7oaxd.jpe

The install is pretty straightforward, especially if you have done axle shafts before. There were two things in particular which took a little more time to address, one is due to lack of instructions and the other is purely Dana's fault.

On the FAD delete plate there are four bolt holes, but no provision for the two nubs on the FAD gasket surface. This caused the delete plate to not sit even remotely flat against the housing. I figured the two options were to either grind the nubs down or to clearance the plate. I used the gasket as a template and found I could drill a hole on one side of the plate and grind a small section from the edge on the other side. Didn't have any gray paint, so I covered the areas with black satin.

The next issue was when we were inserting the passenger side shaft into the housing. It wouldn't seat into the intermediate shaft. Then I remembered something about a plastic bushing and removed the stock intermediate shaft. There's a plastic bushing/sleeve in the intermediate shaft where the inner/outer shaft gets inserted. The Dana part is larger diameter than the stock and requires the removal of this plastic bushing. These two shafts are then joined by the new, larger coupler. In the picture, the plastic bushing broke when I was pulling it out with pliers.

The only other issue is Service Four Wheel Drive is now displayed in the cluster. I will be using the Tazer to remove this.

If you've never done shafts before, the unit-bearing can be a bear to remove. Some good tapping on it with a dead blow hammer should free it up. Once it's off, I used a semi-abrasive wheel on my drill to clean off the rust from the hub and knuckle. I then used anti-seize on those areas to assist in easier removal.

The rears are pretty simple. You need to use some force to free the rear shafts. A combination of a ball peen hammer and pry bar will force the shafts out. The bearing races were still stuck inside the housing on mine. I used the hook of a bearing puller to get the races to move outward a little (be very careful you don't nick the housing where the races sit). Once the races moved a little, I was able to pull them out with my fingers applying equal pressure to the race. You'll want to have your fingers 180 degrees apart, ie. pull on the race at the 3 and 9 o'clock position.

I will feel more comfortable once I get RCV front shafts, but I think the Dana front shafts are strong enough and eliminate the weak spots (yoke ears, u-joints, and FAD assembly - plastic bushing and coupler) to be worth the money.
Good write up! You can flip the rotor over in the rears and put the lug nuts on a little bit and use the rotor as a slide hammer to get the rear shafts out too 👍🏻

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Good write up! You can flip the rotor over in the rears and put the lug nuts on a little bit and use the rotor as a slide hammer to get the rear shafts out too 👍🏻
Thanks.

I remembered the ol' rotor as a slide hammer trick after I was done with them! I had used that trick to remove front hubs a long time ago.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was looking at the (mostly) empty m210 I bought to build and install. I think you touched on these things but I want to make sure.

On the FAD side (passenger side) right where you'd think an axle seal would be (near the bearing cap), there's a plastic bushing. Can I remove this if I'm doing a FAD delete with a single piece axle?

Also inside the FAD plate, there's a bearing. Can I delete that too? I can't even imagine what good its for with a single piece axle shaft.

Here's a pic. Because everyone loves pics.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dana Advantek Chromoly Front (FAD Delete) and Rear Axle Shaft Installation IMG_6033
Sponsored