First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Safe to assume that upgrading to Dana 60 will increase the towing capacity of the JL? Is there something else to consider and how would one estimate that increase? I want to tow a boat and 3500 isn't enough. Engine won't increase it as it's platform driven but axles do. My understanding. Help.
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is that even possible to increase your tow rating? Also, I heard it was the softer suspension that was the weak link.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Safe to assume that upgrading to Dana 60 will increase the towing capacity of the JL? Is there something else to consider and how would one estimate that increase? I want to tow a boat and 3500 isn't enough. Engine won't increase it as it's platform driven but axles do. My understanding. Help.
There are many more limitations to consider, such as transmission and braking capabilities, tire capacities, engine/transmission cooling, wheelbase to track ratio and both the front and rear suspension components. Exceeding a vehicle's GVWR is never a safe assumption to make.
That being said, I suppose if you could upgrade all of those systems (maybe by putting a Jeep cab on a Ram 1500 Hemi), perhaps it would be safe...:facepalm:

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Some, perhaps even many, will advise you to abuse the 3500lb limit. Don’t. If you kill someone towing above the vehicle rating, regardless of upgrades, you’re going to be in a world of financial and legal trouble, setting aside the trauma involved.

Buy a used truck. Wait for the Jeep Truck. But don’t place yourself, your friends/family, and everyone else on the road at risk.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
The Dana 60’s will have far larger brakes and obviously ring/ pinion. So you won’t have to worry about those. I believe that the JK has an optional larger brake booster for when you upgrade to the UD 60’s. I’m sure the JL will too.

And with 5.38 gears in some D 60’s you’ll have the torque to tow as well.

As far as the hitch and how it mounts to the frame etc with capacities and such. Who knows.

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are many more limitations to consider, such as transmission and braking capabilities, tire capacities, engine/transmission cooling, wheelbase to track ratio and both the front and rear suspension components. Exceeding a vehicle's GVWR is never a safe assumption to make.
That being said, I suppose if you could upgrade all of those systems (maybe by putting a Jeep cab on a Ram 1500 Hemi), perhaps it would be safe...:facepalm:
While these are all true, the JL already meets or exceeds most of these compared to other vehicles that can pull more. As far as brakes are concerned, if you are towing more than half the weight of the vehicle then you need trailer brakes. To clarify, I am not saying you should pull more than 3500lbs

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Some, perhaps even many, will advise you to abuse the 3500lb limit. Don’t. If you kill someone towing above the vehicle rating, regardless of upgrades, you’re going to be in a world of financial and legal trouble, setting aside the trauma involved.

Buy a used truck. Wait for the Jeep Truck. But don’t place yourself, your friends/family, and everyone else on the road at risk.
Only tow 3500 or less. Unless you live in Australia, then 4500 is perfectly safe. Lol
I joke. I do not advocate pulling more than recommended but I do find it interesting that in Australia you can tow more with the same vehicle. Must have something to do with how the water rotates when you flush a toilet over there.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Australia apparently has laws restricting max speed while towing, which eliminates one unknown from the equation.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
My understanding is the frame will not handle it according to a travel trailer sales rep. We were going to purchase a lightweight travel trailer that was at the upper end of the capacity and he said they would not sell them to Jeep owners if a distribution hitch was going to be used which is what I would’ve done instead of towing straight off the ball. The explanation he gave was the weight being distributed evenly could cause and has caused frames to “buckle” in the event of emergency braking or hard braking. Whether this is true or not I have no idea....they would not sell me the travel trailer so I found a diesel class C motorhome and tow my Jeep behind that...

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
My understanding is the frame will not handle it according to a travel trailer sales rep. We were going to purchase a lightweight travel trailer that was at the upper end of the capacity and he said they would not sell them to Jeep owners if a distribution hitch was going to be used which is what I would’ve done instead of towing straight off the ball. The explanation he gave was the weight being distributed evenly could cause and has caused frames to “buckle” in the event of emergency braking or hard braking. Whether this is true or not I have no idea....they would not sell me the travel trailer so I found a diesel class C motorhome and tow my Jeep behind that...
That doesn't make much sense. It’s a fully boxed frame all the way back with idk how many cross members..3?

Tacoma’s have a c change frame after the cab. And the Toyota’s capicity is 6800.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I thought changing to Dana 60 plus upgraded suspension would work assuming transmission is up to the task. If I go this route than the diesel becomes my choice. I’m thinking that’s going to handle more tow capacity.

My thinking is on what happens with pickup trucks where the only changes are engine, trans, axles and suspension. Can’t see how a complete frame can’t compete with my unibody Durango which with Hemi pulls 7300.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
You can spend $20-30k in mod's for your Jeep and all you're going to be left with is a vehicle that legally cannot tow more than 3500 lbs. This argument has been waged for the last 10 years with the JK's. If you need to tow, buy a truck, period. Simply put, the Wrangler is NOT meant to tow heavier loads with the biggest thing working against it being it's off road oriented suspension.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
You can spend $20-30k in mod's for your Jeep and all you're going to be left with is a vehicle that legally cannot tow more than 3500 lbs. This argument has been waged for the last 10 years with the JK's. If you need to tow, buy a truck, period. Simply put, the Wrangler is NOT meant to tow heavier loads with the biggest thing working against it being it's off road oriented suspension.
Leaf springs vs coils?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Leaf springs vs coils?
Meh

My wife's Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 with coils at all four corners is rated to tow around 14,000 pounds I believe.
Sponsored