Sponsored

Dana 44 rear axle noise. Would like yo hear someone elses.

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0T
I have taken this in to the shop three times now.
  • The first time they couldn't reproduce the sound.
  • The second time the service manager said he would get in a listen with me; he heard it and they ended up replacing the axle.
  • Still have the sound.
  • The third time a service advisor heard the sound and checked it in and days later said we can't do anything until it gets louder...

If someone wouldn't mind jacking up their rear axle enough to spin their tires so I can hear if this is common or a real problem I would appreciate it.

Here is a video of me spinning my right rear wheel on a 2019 Unlimited Rubicon. https://imgur.com/sPDweSe
You'll have to click the speaker icon to turn on the sound.

It is very prominent right at the right wheel, rather than at the differential. I don't hear it on the left side.

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DogDay

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the dealer replace the entire axle or just the shaft on the right side?
They said the entire rear axle and you can definitely see a difference between the front and rear axle, as far as cleanliness goes; the front is faded black and the rear is shiny and new looking. I don't know if they replaced the actual shafts though. I need to go and check the service receipt.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
They said the entire rear axle and you can definitely see a difference between the front and rear axle, as far as cleanliness goes; the front is faded black and the rear is shiny and new looking. I don't know if they replaced the actual shafts though. I need to go and check the service receipt.
I mean, I don't have enough experience to say for sure, but that click/light-thunk noise definitely doesn't sound right to me. Do you hear a noise at road speeds? If they replaced the axles but reused the shafts/bearings and it was a bearing issue, it makes sense that the noise followed the shafts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DogDay

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could go out and perfrom the same test if you'd like. Did you have the trans in neutral?
That would be awesome. Now that you asked I don't recall what gear, but I think it must have been in neutral for it to turn by hand. I definitely wasn't running the engine.

When I first received a call from the manager, after they assessed it, they said the spider gears were worn. Then in another conversation it was the right axle bearing came apart.

The part was on backorder and I hadn't had my Jeep in two weeks. The manager said he would overnight an entirely new axle which I assume contained the part we were waiting on.

Here is what's on the receipt.

1 68401895AA AXLE-SERVICE REAR
3 68378949AA LUBRICANT-GEAR
1 4318060AD LUBRICANT-AXLE
1 68401892AA SHAFT-AXLE REAR
7663 spider gears noisey, right axle bearing came apart 2.30
replace rear diff assy and right axle

So looks like they did replace the diff and right axle. I wonder if they might have replaced them with another faulty part.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
That would be awesome. Now that you asked I don't recall what gear, but I think it must have been in neutral for it to turn by hand. I definitely wasn't running the engine.

When I first received a call from the manager, after they assessed it, they said the spider gears were worn. Then in another conversation it was the right axle bearing came apart.

The part was on backorder and I hadn't had my Jeep in two weeks. The manager said he would overnight an entirely new axle which I assume contained the part we were waiting on.

Here is what's on the receipt.

1 68401895AA AXLE-SERVICE REAR
3 68378949AA LUBRICANT-GEAR
1 4318060AD LUBRICANT-AXLE
1 68401892AA SHAFT-AXLE REAR
7663 spider gears noisey, right axle bearing came apart 2.30
replace rear diff assy and right axle
So looks like they did replace the diff and right axle. I wonder if they might have replaced them with another faulty part.
No clicking or thunking from mine. Here's a video. Sorry for the crap audio, it was a quicky.

OP
OP
DogDay

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No clicking or thunking from mine. Here's a video. Sorry for the crap audio, it was a quicky.
Many thanks. Yeah, yours definitely sounds healthier.
I hope I can take these to the dealer and get them to listen and keep on it. I'm going on a road trip in a few weeks and really don't want this problem lingering.

Cheers!

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
As much as I hate to say it, you're probably going to need the dealer sort it out. The average FCA dealer service department could f*ck up a wet dream.

JustSaying.gif

Also, for the cost of that FCA/Mopar axle shaft you could almost pay for 2 new Dana Chromoly shafts. But again, you'd have to convince the dealer and I don't see that happening. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
DogDay

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As much as I hate to say it, you're probably going to need the dealer sort it out. The average FCA dealer service department could f*ck up a wet dream.
I'm wondering how to re-approach this with the service department. I feel they've treated me fairly up to this point. But now I've got to convince them to listen to a couple of videos to hear what I'm talking about. You'd think they would have done this themselves.

I wonder if I could get them to jack up one of the jeeps on the lot.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I think you should open a case with Jeep Customer Care (or whatever the proper term is for that department) and they can exert some gentle (or not) pressure on the dealer to properly diagnose and fix the issue. A simple "My axle is still making unusual noises" to them SHOULD work as well IMHJO.

OP
OP
DogDay

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you should open a case with Jeep Customer Care (or whatever the proper term is for that department) and they can exert some gentle (or not) pressure on the dealer to properly diagnose and fix the issue. A simple "My axle is still making unusual noises" to them SHOULD work as well IMHJO.
I'm about to do just that. I did have a case opened with them, but don't know if they've closed it when the dealer threw in the towel. Customer Care basically came back and said "dealer says they can't fix it until it gets louder, so that's that."

I'll update if progress is made.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have taken this in to the shop three times now.
  • The first time they couldn't reproduce the sound.
  • The second time the service manager said he would get in a listen with me; he heard it and they ended up replacing the axle.
  • Still have the sound.
  • The third time a service advisor heard the sound and checked it in and days later said we can't do anything until it gets louder...

If someone wouldn't mind jacking up their rear axle enough to spin their tires so I can hear if this is common or a real problem I would appreciate it.

Here is a video of me spinning my right rear wheel on a 2019 Unlimited Rubicon. https://imgur.com/sPDweSe
You'll have to click the speaker icon to turn on the sound.

It is very prominent right at the right wheel, rather than at the differential. I don't hear it on the left side.

Thanks for any feedback.
Hi DogDay,
I certainly am sorry for the inconvenience you've experienced so far. I see that you are turning to this forum for additional information on this concern- I do recommend that if you continue to hear this sound, to get a second opinion from another dealer. Please know that our team is also available to answer questions or offer additional support during a service visit- we are always just a PM away!

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
DogDay

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi DogDay,
I certainly am sorry for the inconvenience you've experienced so far. I see that you are turning to this forum for additional information on this concern- I do recommend that if you continue to hear this sound, to get a second opinion from another dealer. Please know that our team is also available to answer questions or offer additional support during a service visit- we are always just a PM away!

Kathryn
JeepCares
I've opened a new case and they are attempting to schedule an appointment with a new dealership. They new dealership hasn't responded yet, but it's only been a little over a day.
Sponsored