Sponsored

Dana 44 rear axle noise. Would like yo hear someone elses.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've opened a new case and they are attempting to schedule an appointment with a new dealership. They new dealership hasn't responded yet, but it's only been a little over a day.
Thanks for the update, DogDay! I'm happy to hear that situation is in the right hands. Just remember we are always available for additional support via a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JL) Eco Diesel
Mine sounds exactly the same. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldnā€™t duplicate the sound. Today I jacked it up and spun the wheels by hand. I made a video and drove immediately to the dealer to show them. Now Iā€™ll be bringing back on Wednesday for them to take another look at it. I do have a case with jeep cares. Hopefully they can put some pressure on the dealer.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
Mine sounds exactly the same. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldnā€™t duplicate the sound. Today I jacked it up and spun the wheels by hand. I made a video and drove immediately to the dealer to show them. Now Iā€™ll be bringing back on Wednesday for them to take another look at it. I do have a case with jeep cares. Hopefully they can put some pressure on the dealer.

TheHorror.gif

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer

Can you tell if the noise is coming from the axle end or at the diff?

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you tell if the noise is coming from the axle end or at the diff?
I canā€™t say with absolute certainty but I hear it equally on both side of the vehicle. Which leads me to believe that itā€™s something inside the differential.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DogDay

DogDay

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0T
I canā€™t say with absolute certainty but I hear it equally on both side of the vehicle. Which leads me to believe that itā€™s something inside the differential.
Yeah it's odd how it seems to be in different spots depending on the vehicle. Mine is clearly only on the right side.

I have the 2.0 8spd e-torque system, what about you guys?

Lookthermo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it's odd how it seems to be in different spots depending on the vehicle. Mine is clearly only on the right side.

I have the 2.0 8spd e-torque system, what about you guys?
I have the 3.6 with the 8spd. I wonder if itā€™s only happening with the 44ā€™s with anti-slip or if it is happening on the open differentials as well?

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
On my '18 JLU Sport, I'm getting a small clunk noise, from what sounds like being in the rear axle, when I take off from a complete stop.

I have the Limited-Slip in mine.

It's completely stock w/no lift nor oversized tires/wheels.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Is it to do w/the Limited-Slip?

Thx!

UPDATE: I made an appointment for that Campaign/Recall of the Steering Damper. I have to wait till April because it has to be ordered. While there, I'm having them check for that noise as well.

Last edited:

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
On my '18 JLU Sport, I'm getting a small clunk noise, from what sounds like being in the rear axle, when I take off from a complete stop.

I have the Limited-Slip in mine.

It's completely stock w/no lift nor oversized tires/wheels.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Is it to do w/the Limited-Slip?

Thx!
My Jeep is very similar to yours - 2018 Sport S, 3.6V6, 6 Speed, Limited Slip.

I'm also hearing a clunk from the rear sometimes when taking off from a stop. It only happens intermittently (so far), but I'm listening and following these threads closely.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
To the OP. This method you are using to diagnose your concern is turning the spider gears in the differential. If your were to put the camera on the driveshaft, you'd see it isn't turning. This means the ring gear and pinion gear isn't turning.

Sponsored