Dana 44 Limited Slip

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Ok. So is replacing the entire rear axle a doable option that makes sense?
Replacing the entire axle is extreme. I was just talking about replacing the clutch LSD with a gear LSD.
Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Not a lot of upgrade options for us LSD guys unfortunately.

Do you have a friend or neighbor who can help you drain the gear oil, remove the diff cover to inspect for chunks, replace the diff cover, and fill with gear oil? Check out the YouTube DIY videos. This is less of a hassle and more rewarding than visiting the dealer.

It’s still under warranty, correct? I’d take it to the dealer if you find chunks changing the gear oil or it doesn’t quiet down after you change the gear oil. And change the front diff gear oil while you’re at it.

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say, could be anything driveline related. Pulling the diff magnet drain plug will show amount of metal shedding, if a paste like appearance probably no issue, if larger chunks , might have an issue.
Exactly what VNT said. Paste on the magnet means that the gears are "mating" nicely, large shavings or chunks means there is a problem. If you want to go the extra step you can pull the cover and inspect the gears. I checked mine out when I swapped the crappy stamped covers out for the Dana Advantek Nodular Iron covers. I still dont understand why they make a beefy D44 axle, and then put a flimsy stamped steel cover on it... LOL

Reactions: VNT

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. So is replacing the entire rear axle a doable option that makes sense?
I don’t know, but I doubt it. We don’t really hear people doing it.

As is the norm with everything FCA makes: the devil is in the details. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a million of seemingly unrelated electronics affected by something as mundane as a rear axle.

OP
OP
mtbjeep

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll start with the diff oil and see what happens. I am still under warranty and I really want to keep the jeep for a good long time; I just don't want to be a part of the crappy axle club over the course of my ownership.

Sponsored

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I used to have the LSD 44 in the rear. Mine started making a clunking while coasting. I couldn't figure it out for the longest until I stuck a gopro under the jeep and pointed it in different directions till I isolated the sound. Took it to the dealer and showed them. Tech drove it and inspected the oil. Had lots of stuff in it he said. About a month later they got the parts and replaced everything inside the Diff. The video really helped prove my point though. The tech said they had done several.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
I heard a rumor that the LSD axle was "improved" in late 2019. Has anyone else heard that?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I heard a rumor that the LSD axle was "improved" in late 2019. Has anyone else heard that?
No, I haven’t heard that.

Only things I heard:
  1. The D44 with LSD was extended as an option across the board —i.e., beyond Sahara and Willys
  2. The wider rear D44 axle from JT is standard on High Altitude for some reason

OP
OP
mtbjeep

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Interesting I found this on Quadratec

If you scroll down to the comments Quadratec claims this is an upgraded Mopar component. Does anyone have any intel?

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I second the nomination for the Detroit Truetrac... if it was available. I used the truetrac in a 2012 JK Sport front and rear. Flawless on road and off. Plus they don’t need additives to the gear oil. Come on Eaton, we need JL truetracs.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting I found this on Quadratec

If you scroll down to the comments Quadratec claims this is an upgraded Mopar component. Does anyone have any intel?
If this is an LSD “fix”, then the dealer should replace yours under warranty.

I wouldn’t pay out of my pocket for a part FCA has come up with because the original was defective.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
With your Jeep still under warranty i would make the dealer figure it out. If they spend too much time and can’t figure it out then they’ll get annoyed and just replace it.

I would only replace the axle as a last resort. I broke the rear D44 in my rubicon and replaced it with an ARB. But then you need 35 spline axles. And then you need air. I already had air but it’s still expensive, time consuming and not fun. On the bright side, my rear axle is now “the shit”.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Premutarure failure appears to be from oil cotamination from the clutch packs, get the new replacement unit and change your diff oil regularly is what I would do, the first oil change being more important after break-in period.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
knock in Dana 44 is well documented, people are getting new axles, now new carriers.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/knock-in-rear-with-dana-44.16921/page-88

the diff fluid change schedule is every 20k miles, so you are way over due. I did my first at 10 K, break in change. I’ll probably do,again at 20k. Changing fluid won’t help with the knock, but needs to be done.

I also have D44 LSD, with a slight knock, not like what people are saying in the above thread. I plan to skip any warranty work, cause 1) dealerships... and 2) there isn’t an updated part where you will get a new axle that might not have this problem in the future again.

so, I will be going after market. I want lockers in back anyway. If a good LSD was available, id give it a look.

Last edited:

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I have not changed it yet. 31,000 on the jeep. The noise started about 6 months into ownership. I brought it to the dealer and did a test ride with a tech who confirmed the noise was present. He said that he had no idea what it was and that they would need to take the jeep for an unspecified amount of time to properly diagnose. As of yet I have not been interested in that route.

As I am primarily concerned about snow performance I prefer the LSD to to a locker.
When do you hear the noise? I hear a clunk when at low speed and low gear (automatic, maybe around 20 MPH) and I let off gas and then press the gas again. Almost like the transmission mount were loose. I took to dealership and they said transmission was fine and couldn't replicate (BC of course!). Curious if this is the same noise/situation you are describing. Would help me get this looked at while I am still under warranty. I, too, have around 31k.
Sponsored