Dana 30 front and 35 rear build

Dunigan88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Needing some advice. I'm currently building a 2018 JLU Sahara. I thought hard about swapping the axles with Dana 44 Rubicon axles, or possibly even 60's, but the longer I've pondered on it and researched, the more I'm leaning toward building the axles that are currently on it (Dana 30 front, 35 rear)

I'm running 37's and don't foresee a bigger tire in the future. 4.5" Stage 2 Pro Comp lift w/Bilstein 5160 Reservoir shocks. I won't be doing anything absolutely insane, but I damn sure want capability (Moderate trails, overlanding, Moab, Rubicon Trail will probably be the most extreme destination) I'll also be carrying quite a bit of weight on my overlanding trips. Rooftop tent, tools, gear, water and fuel tanks, road shower, rock sliders, heavy duty skid plates. We all know how fast the weight adds up.

Here are my plans for the stock axles so far:
ā€¢ Regearing to 4.88, possibly 5.13 Yukon gears
ā€¢ Either air, or E- lockers front/rear (not sure yet)
ā€¢ Truss kits front/rear, possibly sleeves
ā€¢ Chromoly shafts /RCV front
ā€¢ Big brake kits front/ rear
ā€¢ Steer Smarts HD track bar, drag link, tie rod

So I have a few questions..
1. - Will these upgrades be adequate for what I'm wanting to do with it?
2. - Does anyone know where I can find a truss kit for the JL Dana 30, 35? I can't seem to find anything out there.
3. - If I gear up to 5.13, which is about as high of a ratio I can get in the stock difs, will the pinion, teeth, etc. be compromised? Even Yukon gears?
4. - Am I missing any important upgrades I should be considering?

Thanks in advance! This forum and the brilliant minds within it have helped out tremendously with this build so far.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Needing some advice. I'm currently building a 2018 JLU Sahara. I thought hard about swapping the axles with Dana 44 Rubicon axles, or possibly even 60's, but the longer I've pondered on it and researched, the more I'm leaning toward building the axles that are currently on it (Dana 30 front, 35 rear)

I'm running 37's and don't foresee a bigger tire in the future. 4.5" Stage 2 Pro Comp lift w/Bilstein 5160 Reservoir shocks. I won't be doing anything absolutely insane, but I damn sure want capability (Moderate trails, overlanding, Moab, Rubicon Trail will probably be the most extreme destination) I'll also be carrying quite a bit of weight on my overlanding trips. Rooftop tent, tools, gear, water and fuel tanks, road shower, rock sliders, heavy duty skid plates. We all know how fast the weight adds up.

Here are my plans for the stock axles so far:
ā€¢ Regearing to 4.88, possibly 5.13 Yukon gears
ā€¢ Either air, or E- lockers front/rear (not sure yet)
ā€¢ Truss kits front/rear, possibly sleeves
ā€¢ Chromoly shafts /RCV front
ā€¢ Big brake kits front/ rear
ā€¢ Steer Smarts HD track bar, drag link, tie rod

So I have a few questions..
1. - Will these upgrades be adequate for what I'm wanting to do with it?
2. - Does anyone know where I can find a truss kit for the JL Dana 30, 35? I can't seem to find anything out there.
3. - If I gear up to 5.13, which is about as high of a ratio I can get in the stock difs, will the pinion, teeth, etc. be compromised? Even Yukon gears?
4. - Am I missing any important upgrades I should be considering?

Thanks in advance! This forum and the brilliant minds within it have helped out tremendously with this build so far.
I believe the only locker out for the new Dana 35 (29 spline)is an ARB air locker, you cannot get an E locker or at least when I regeared last year you couldnā€™t. You can put 513ā€™s in A Dana 30, I did it on my JK.

With all of that said here are my thoughts, I paid $1800 last year to re-gear, and it was great but in the end I ultimately ended up buying Rubicon takeoff Dana 44ā€˜s. I would spend the money upfront and do it right get the beefier axles.

OP
OP

Dunigan88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
I believe the only locker out for the new Dana 35 (29 spline)is an ARB air locker, you cannot get an E locker or at least when I regeared last year you couldnā€™t. You can put 513ā€™s in A Dana 30, I did it on my JK.

With all of that said here are my thoughts, I paid $1800 last year to re-gear, and it was great but in the end I ultimately ended up buying Rubicon takeoff Dana 44ā€˜s. I would spend the money upfront and do it right get the beefier axles.
I kinda figured that would be the overall response. I watched a video about an intimate Dana 30 build a while back, and it just got me thinking.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I kinda figured that would be the overall response. I watched a video about an intimate Dana 30 build a while back, and it just got me thinking.
I had your axle setup previously and researched this alot before swapping in d44s with rubi brakes. The cost of building d30/d35 to run 37s with gears, lockers, RCV's is more expensive than swapping in takeoff d44s. Gears-$1800, lockers-$2k, RCV's-$2500, truss $600. You're at approx $7k and you haven't upgraded brakes. You can get great condition d44 takeoffs with brakes for less than $4k and everything installed with lockers wires to OEM switches for $5500 or less. The swap provides wider axles with stronger ring and pinion and housing. Best of luck..

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Just one note: The Sahara and Rubi share the same brakes. You don't need to embiggen the brakes on a Sahara.

Sponsored

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
I had your axle setup previously and researched this alot before swapping in d44s with rubi brakes. The cost of building d30/d35 to run 37s with gears, lockers, RCV's is more expensive than swapping in takeoff d44s. Gears-$1800, lockers-$2k, RCV's-$2500, truss $600. You're at approx $7k and you haven't upgraded brakes. You can get great condition d44 takeoffs with brakes for less than $4k and everything installed with lockers wires to OEM switches for $5500 or less. The swap provides wider axles with stronger ring and pinion and housing. Best of luck..
Your still going to have to regear the rubi axles to run 37s so add another $1800 to the rubi swap. Truss $600. The cheapest rubi takeoffs Iā€™ve seen in Cali are $4500. Throw on another 1200 for install and we are looking at 8k plus lol. Either way itā€™s expensive as shit

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Your still going to have to regear the rubi axles to run 37s so add another $1800 to the rubi swap. Truss $600. The cheapest rubi takeoffs Iā€™ve seen in Cali are $4500. Throw on another 1200 for install and we are looking at 8k plus lol. Either way itā€™s expensive as shit
It doesn't have to be if you shop around and know how to negotiate...the vast majority of people on rubi axles are running 37s without regearing and 99% of people arent adding a truss. I had the swap done with rubi brakes and tie rod for $5k and then sold my old axles for $1500. Net cost $3500. Definitely worth it IMHO.

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't have to be if you shop around and know how to negotiate...the vast majority of people on rubi axles are running 37s without regearing and 99% of people arent adding a truss. I had the swap done with rubi brakes and tie rod for $5k and then sold my old axles for $1500. Net cost $3500. Definitely worth it IMHO.
Nice! Iā€™ve been looking man but nothing is popping up. Pandemic surely had played a role in the lack of axles for sale. Where did you sell your axles?

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Nice! Iā€™ve been looking man but nothing is popping up. Pandemic surely had played a role in the lack of axles for sale. Where did you sell your axles?
I would also add plenty are running 37's on their Rubi axles. Remember these are the strongest 44's to date. The axle tubing is way beefier than the JK's. When I did my axle swap to Rubi's I feel I lucked out and got a set for 3k locally with only 12k miles on them. I practically gave my sport axles away at $400 as there was no interest in them.

I am also planning on going to 37's as early as next week. I am putting Rubi high top fenders on this weekend. 37's are next!

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would also add plenty are running 37's on their Rubi axles. Remember these are the strongest 44's to date. The axle tubing is way beefier than the JK's. When I did my axle swap to Rubi's I feel I lucked out and got a set for 3k locally with only 12k miles on them. I practically gave my sport axles away at $400 as there was no interest in them.

I am also planning on going to 37's as early as next week. I am putting Rubi high top fenders on this weekend. 37's are next!
Thatā€™s great. The cheapest Iā€™ve seen are 4000 for both. I can get them from a dealer for 4300 both but Iā€™m looking for a set for 3k. Donā€™t see that happening here in SoCal