Damper with Synthetic Rope?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Quick question, do you need to use a damper blanket when using synthetic winch rope? What about if using kinetic rope?

I would think not because it doesn't store nearly as much energy as a steel cable, but I don't want to be unsafe either.

Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would think a damper would not be needed with synthetic rope, no harm in using one but synthetic won’t do the damage that a steel cable will do.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you feel safer then by all means. Saying that "usually" the synthetic rope will just snap and fall inline to the pull. Usually.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen synthetic lines snap under tension. It won't take someone's head off, like a steel cable, but it's still no different than being whipped with a bull whip. I plan on using one on my synthetic line, because I'd rather avoid having to apologize to someone for the permanent scar.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Synthetic rope snapping while winching? I would never take the risk. Throw something over that synthetic line. Don't take unnecessary risks.

Sponsored

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
It's not just about the line snapping and whipping back. Depending on your particular setup, you may well have a shackle connecting the steel connector end of your winch line to the thing being winched: if that shackle breaks, your line still has that chunk of steel on it, and that is going to come back toward the winch at a rate of knots, and that will not only take out whatever body parts it comes into contact with, it will probably turn them into mush.

Just damp it. At worst nothing happens and you don't need the line damped.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!

I was stuck in snow last spring up north and was in the Jeep operating winch and partner was strapping to a tree using gator jaws. They did not fully secure the loop over the knot. After what I'm guessing is a few thousand pounds of force the loop slipped over the knot and the several pound Factor 55 link flew back at the Jeep so fast I didn't even see it. It flew underneath the entire length of the Jeep and dozens of feet beyond.

No doubt this would severely injure or kill a person and/or seriously damage the front of your Jeep. I now have a damper I keep in my recover kit....
Sponsored