@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a video of my initial JLU setup and overland build, and some talking points as a former JKU owner

Added some more Yakima accessories to the rack. Extended it with the LoadWarrior extension, added shovel and Hi-lift mounting brackets, and their Slim Shady awning. Everything is working well together.
IMG_1531.jpg
IMG_1532.jpg
IMG_1533.jpg

Here's the install video and some talking points on the Yakima accessories

Got my same rack coming soon. I read the weight limit is 150 lbs. Do you find that to be the safe weight? I was wondering if you could add some sort of padding or support between the roof and the roll bar to give support and add more weight?
Sponsored

rubydoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Installed the WARN Zeon 10S on the factory steel bumper using the Warn winch plate.

I appreciate this video. I used an aftermarket bumper but the wiring part probably saved me a ton of time as I had a different path for the wires chosen. Luckily, I decided to check youtube first to see if anyone has recommendations and when I saw this video I realized that his path was much better than mine, so I copied it. Bravo!

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Wow, great looking and super functional rig you are putting together. Additionally, hat tip to the videos of the build. Super informative and well shot / edited to include loads of great tips as you walk through. (Drone footage for opens & transitions is nice touch touch)

I have a ROLA basket that I had on an old WK2 that I've thought to add the extension to. Not planning to add as many fixed accessories, but also would like room for lightweight / bulky storage to free up space for kids in rear seat. I have some Yakima rail grabs as they were the lowest option for WK. They wont work for my JL application, but I like the mopar base for how it spans the load.

Thanks for the share Damon~

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Awesome build. Starting on my own now. Quick question though. Why did you go with the load warrior versus the mega warrior rack. I've looked at the dimensions and the mega is a little larger so I don't think I would need the extension you used for the load warrior. It is a bit wider though, so that may mean some accessories attached to the edge may stick out which I don't mind.

I've also looked at options from Rhino Rack, but there platforms are the ones that allow attachments of accessories and they are pretty pricey. Their xtray is super nice, but I'm not sure it would allow accessories to be attached to the side plus it's a bit smaller. Yakima also just came out with the off-grid carrier, but it seemed a bit undersized.

REI just has a sale on Yakima, so I picked up a megawarrior. Just wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

MovinWes'

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
With the LoadWarrior + Extension, Hi-LIft Bracket + Hi-Lift Extreme, Shovel Bracket + Shovel, and Slim Shady awning, I'm at around 100 lbs, leaving me around 50# of storage. For my purposes, I'm rarely carrying all those tools together. When I am fully loaded like that, I'm using that extra 50# for large, bulky, but light items, like a Camp Chef aluminum table, camp chairs, a Plano bin with sleeping bags and sleeping pads and such.

Yakima makes a spare tire mount for that rack and I used it as such on top of a Winnebago Travato RV to carry a spare on the roof. I think you might be pushing it though with a spare 37 tire -- if you're wanting to carry all those accessories and tools like I have also. Just drop the Hi-Lift + mount, and that's an extra 35 lbs of storage.

I'm seeing in the Wrangler JL owner's manual that the max roof load is actually only 100lbs (including crossbars, which takes up something like ~20lbs) leaving only ~80lbs for gear.

Are you seeing the 150lbs recommendation elsewhere?

Owner's manual PDF from JL forum: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/downloads/guides/2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-JLU-Owners-Manual.pdf

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Don’t forget to add in the rack weight which is about 30lbs. I bought this same setup but with a megawarrior cargo basket instead. I don’t plan on loading with more than 100lbs, we’ll now 50lbs since the rack and basket should be included in the weight.

If you look at how it attaches it connects into the rain gutter rails. Those I assume are formed out of fiberglass like the rest of the roof. I’m sure if you continued to crank the bolts down that hold the clamps in place you’d crack the rain gutter.

I would say as long as you’re not carrying 150lbs while rock climbing at extreme angles or carrying kayaks or paddle boards that put extreme stress on the rack due to wind resistance you should be good loading it up to 150lbs.

For me, my long term plan is to purchase a full platform rack like AEV which bolts through your hardtop and into the roll cage. This would allow me to install a rooftop tent and other gear as needed.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
So I just read the manual. I don’t think the weight limit include the roof rack as it specifies crossbars and being something different as in an item you need to use in order to carry the luggage. We all think of crossbars as the actual rack itself, but the manual reads as if it’s two different items.
Sponsored