Damning quote on Bronco vs Wrangler

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
i actially ordered a 2 door bronco back in Jan - and all i got were emails that things were delayed and options were not available so i pulled the plug and ordered the JL.....as i wait......
I did similar. I was a day 2 reservation holder and had a 2 dr badlands on order. I too cancelled it A while back after delays and seeing issues. The hard tops failing was icing on the cake. I bought a Land Rover for winter use and off road. Was not happy with its performance off road though so I’m selling it tomorrow. I ordered a rubicon xtreme recon on September 7th that’s in D1 with a tentative date of 10/30 on it right now. Looked and used jeeps first and all I saw was either higher mileage units or low mileage hi cost units. Decided to go new so here we are waiting for it to arrive. Just in time for some fun winter driving. Looking forward to spring for trail drives and dune runs at silver lake too.
I have a 2dr loaded Badlands on order but my reservation is a mid October one with Granger Ford. With Fords latest changes going to an allocation system I won't see mine until 3rd or 4th qtr of 2024. After 25 years of bleeding Ford blue I'm done with them! I've purchased a new Ford every 3 years for my business for the past 26 years and while I do love my Ranger, I'll no long support this dishonest company.

I was able to test drive a couple different Rubicons locally and was surprised how well the drove. It's been 25+ years since I've been in one and boy they have changed a lot. lol Now I'm waiting for Daniel at Gupton to get back to me with a quote for a '22 2dr JLUR. From what I'm reading here it looks like I could be driving it by early spring rather than waiting 3 years for a Bronco. Heck by then it would be just in time for the next Gen to launch. 😆
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Who wants to go to some kick ass trail and then be forced to take all the bypasses?
I hear that!! I'm finding more and more I'm taking bypasses even on my dirt bike. My brain says yes but my body says no!!

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
This kinda reminds me how in our masked world, I've seen a lot of people with very attractive eyes. But, if you catch them maskless... they're not always good looking.

An elementary school teacher was telling me it took months before she had seen the faces of some of her students, and when she did, they were nothing like she imagined.

Point is, why make assumptions about the totality of a thing, based on a small part of it. Okay, so you wanna mock the Bronco for it's wimpy grab handles...🤔:giggle:

I don't think grab handles, especially ones that are clearly designed to be easily replaced more for looks than utility, are a good touchstone for commentary on overall sturdiness.
So in summation, don't judge a book by it's cover?

I understand your argument to a degree. If the Bronco was head and shoulders better than the Wrangler in all other ways it may be easy look beyond it's obvious shortcomings. But that isn't the case.

Looking from all aspects, at best the Bronco is neck and neck with the Wrangler. So you're spending $50-$60k, maybe more, on a vehicle. Do you want to sit in an interior that seems like an afterthought? Granted Jeeps in the past had pretty spartan interiors. While not perfect the interior of the JL is very well put together with very nice aesthetics.

Another phrase comes to my mind. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Last edited:

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I really like the Bronco for what it is, but I like the way the Wrangler looks better. :D The extra features and interior space are nice, and I think the top and the way the doors attach is really cool.

guzie

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I have a 2dr loaded Badlands on order but my reservation is a mid October one with Granger Ford. With Fords latest changes going to an allocation system I won't see mine until 3rd or 4th qtr of 2024. After 25 years of bleeding Ford blue I'm done with them! I've purchased a new Ford every 3 years for my business for the past 26 years and while I do love my Ranger, I'll no long support this dishonest company.

I was able to test drive a couple different Rubicons locally and was surprised how well the drove. It's been 25+ years since I've been in one and boy they have changed a lot. lol Now I'm waiting for Daniel at Gupton to get back to me with a quote for a '22 2dr JLUR. From what I'm reading here it looks like I could be driving it by early spring rather than waiting 3 years for a Bronco. Heck by then it would be just in time for the next Gen to launch. 😆
I am a long time Ford guy so I naturally wanted to grab the bronco. I heard from proponents on the forums and in the videos how much better driving it will be than a Jeep. It made it sound like the Jeep rode and drove terrible. I test drove a rubic myself and was pleasantly surprised. I liked it. It drove well and had a very nice sharp turning radius. Now reading more issues with the new broncos I am glad I canceled. Some guy broke his steering rack and tie rods off-roading. The images look bad. Look pretty weak for what it should be.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Our Jeep’s have plenty of quality issues also. That said, Ford has done a shockingly poor job on executing on building and delivering the Bronco. This thing has been under development for 10 years…and they still can’t get it to market in a meaningful way, not to mention glaring issues like poor interior quality and the inability to design a decent hardtop. Startups like Rivian and Lucid are infant companies that prove great things can be done.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
The doors removed on the Bronco doesn't look right. It looks like they are supposed to have doors, but they got ripped off in Detroit.

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
When I was looking to get back into a Jeep (previously had a TJ), I was really excited when the JL rolled out. Even went to the '18 Housing auto show and did the Jeep ride. One thing that was a deal maker were the rear air vents. They are a must have in SE Texas. When I saw the Bronco relaunch it brought back great memories of the 1980 K5 I had when I was 17. I wasn't going to buy a Jeep until I could compare the two side by side. I got tired of waiting and luckily picked up my JLUR. I made the right decision and Ford made it pretty easy. I refuse to pay MSRP or above.

I see tons of Off-Road vehicles every day in my area. I've seen 3 392's on a 4 mile stretch to pick up my kid from football practice on one trip. My hand literally waves at least 5 times when I leave my house. I've only seen 2 Broncos in the wild (both in Target parking lots). There's no way I would have waited on that botched roll out. I'll look at the 2 door in about 3-4 years when my wife SUV needs to be replaced though.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
I am a long time Ford guy so I naturally wanted to grab the bronco. I heard from proponents on the forums and in the videos how much better driving it will be than a Jeep. It made it sound like the Jeep rode and drove terrible. I test drove a rubic myself and was pleasantly surprised. I liked it. It drove well and had a very nice sharp turning radius. Now reading more issues with the new broncos I am glad I canceled. Some guy broke his steering rack and tie rods off-roading. The images look bad. Look pretty weak for what it should be.
I never wanted a first year Bronco or any manufacturers as I've had my share of problems with them in the past. I know Covid messed things up but there's no excuse for all the other problems. After the Explorer launch I'd didn't think they could mess up another but they proved me wrong, this one's much worse! I love competition as it keeps everyone on their toes and forces them to up their game but I think this backfired on Ford and drove a lot of longtime Ford owner away. Great for Jeep sales though. ;)

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I hear a lot of that sentiment on various forums in regards to anything that's reliable. For me boring is good. Boring to look at? Really. Since when are we purchasing vehicles for looks? Maybe you are and that's cool.

I most certainly do not purchase a vehicle for looks. All my vehicles are nothing but a tool. No different than a a wrench that gets put in a drawer until I need it.

I take "emotional attachment" out of the equation when considering a vehicle. I'm looking at what I'll be using it for and if it will get me there with the least amount of drama. But hey man, that's just me. I don't expect sanyone else to agree to my philosophy.
I don't know how many times I have said I wish I wasn't brought up by my gear head dad and uncle. I do wish I viewed vehicles as appliances sometimes. But no, I detail my vehicles once a week, they have to be different than the herd, and there always is a 1000% chance I'm modifying it. I can't leave well enough alone. To think, if I had appliances and not tinker toys, I would probably be retired. Couple things I have learned though, never trust Yelp for food recommendations, and take what you read on forums with a grain of salt. I absolutely don't disagree with your philosophy, I'm just a hard head. Bottoms up!

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yaaaaaaaawn… as others have said, this forum is full discussion about JL issues. I am sure you can go one for one with the number of issues the JL has/had to the issues the bronco has. To sit here and pontificate about a different vehicle because of their grab handles, is just silly. Plus this is a Jeep forum. Why isn’t this in the other vehicles section?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I never wanted a first year Bronco or any manufacturers as I've had my share of problems with them in the past. I know Covid messed things up but there's no excuse for all the other problems. After the Explorer launch I'd didn't think they could mess up another but they proved me wrong, this one's much worse! I love competition as it keeps everyone on their toes and forces them to up their game but I think this backfired on Ford and drove a lot of longtime Ford owner away. Great for Jeep sales though. ;)
Ford was having big problems before covid. At this point the Bronco should be a 2nd or 3rd year model with all the time they are behind. The Ford dealers are no better. They have nothing to show and try. The ones that do think they are doing you a favor by allowing you to buy one. Just a lousy experience all around. Too bad because I really like the idea of competition and driving different vehicles. Like a lot of other people I might revisit a 2-door Bronco in a few years "if" the product proves itself. In the meantime I will buy another JL soon.
Sponsored