Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Bullshit! I looked it up

4 door Bronco Vs Wrangler - Soft-top
Height: 73" vs 73.6"
Width without mirrors: 75.9" vs 73.8"
Length: 189.4" vs 188.4

So 2" wider and 1" longer give me that much more space in the driver seat, something is wrong with the Wrangler.
A lot of the width from the Wrangler are the fenders. The Bronco IS wider.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I saw a Bronco up close a few weeks ago at a concert, people were tailgating. Lots of Jeeps there. But that Bronco was the only Bronco there in that vast parking area. Let me tell you, that thing looked HUGE. I think a dimensional comparison between a Jeep and a Bronco on paper is very misleading. The fenders on the Jeep make the Jeep body look much smaller. The Bronco is like a very big, square shoebox. Aerodynamics of a huge brick. I have no idea what the Bronco rides like, but it had no....how should I describe it..... it just had no soul. The numerous Jeeps in the parking area each had their own personality and look. Like they were a part of the family that drove them in. The Bronco just looked like a big porta potty turned on it's side. No soul. Just my take.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I think there are pros and cons for both. My wife and I are choosing between a 4Runner, Rubicon 2D Wrangler, and Badlands 2D Bronco.

Right now it's wait and let the market and labor force level out. My apprehension is the reliability of both Bronco and Wrangler. No matter what any biased member says on any vehicle specific forum. The numbers and my experiences don't lie.

Every single Toyota and GM vehicle myself and other family members owned over the years has been rock solid. 200,000-300,000 miles on each vehicle typically. Every Ford and Chrysler product made from the 80's on have been huge money pits. And Chrysler more than Ford have given us issues.

IMHO, the running gear and motor selections for the Wrangler don't get much better. There is something for everyone except for a snob who can never be satisfied. The electronics is what scares me. Both Ford and FCA/Stellantis electrical and electronic systems are a joke.

And in our present time most of the techs are not near as good as the ones employed just a few years ago. A lot of us older guys are retiring and the new wave of uneducated goofball "parts changers" with "slam it together" attitude have arrived at dealerships and production lines.

The balancing act comes to what is going to be the best for functionality with reasonable reliability. 4Runner is not going to be even in the same class as a Wrangler. And quite frankly the Bronco isn't either.

For hard core off road travel in a "right off the showroom floor" street legal vehicle there is nothing out there that can go in as many places than a 2 door Rubicon Wrangler. With equal apples to apples drivers no vehicle manufacturer on earth produces a more capable vehicle.

I have been a 2WD truck and motorcycle dude most of my life. Now I'm looking for a rig that I won't have to take the bypass routes or pull out my traction boards and jack as much.

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I test drove a JLUR Sport several weeks ago and the A-Pillar Grab Handles were absolutely rigid enough to help be hop on without any major issues.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think there are pros and cons for both. My wife and I are choosing between a 4Runner, Rubicon 2D Wrangler, and Badlands 2D Bronco.

Right now it's wait and let the market and labor force level out. My apprehension is the reliability of both Bronco and Wrangler. No matter what any biased member says on any vehicle specific forum. The numbers and my experiences don't lie.

Every single Toyota and GM vehicle myself and other family members owned over the years has been rock solid. 200,000-300,000 miles on each vehicle typically. Every Ford and Chrysler product made from the 80's on have been huge money pits. And Chrysler more than Ford have given us issues.

IMHO, the running gear and motor selections for the Wrangler don't get much better. There is something for everyone except for a snob who can never be satisfied. The electronics is what scares me. Both Ford and FCA/Stellantis electrical and electronic systems are a joke.

And in our present time most of the techs are not near as good as the ones employed just a few years ago. A lot of us older guys are retiring and the new wave of uneducated goofball "parts changers" with "slam it together" attitude have arrived at dealerships and production lines.

The balancing act comes to what is going to be the best for functionality with reasonable reliability. 4Runner is not going to be even in the same class as a Wrangler. And quite frankly the Bronco isn't either.

For hard core off road travel in a "right off the showroom floor" street legal vehicle there is nothing out there that can go in as many places than a 2 door Rubicon Wrangler. With equal apples to apples drivers no vehicle manufacturer on earth produces a more capable vehicle.

I have been a 2WD truck and motorcycle dude most of my life. Now I'm looking for a rig that I won't have to take the bypass routes or pull out my traction boards and jack as much.
I have a lot of respect for Toyota as an automaker. But I only lasted six months behind the wheel of a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I had no issues with its off-road capability, or even its on-road comfort. But the overall package was just not very satisfying.

The Toyota dealer was 100 times better than my Jeep dealer. And I am sure that engine and transmission would have given me 200,000 miles of worry-free driving, but they provided zero enjoyment. The engine felt anemic; the automatic transmission was atrocious. Seriously, I donā€™t recall automatics being this bad even in the 80s!

The seats were uncomfortable, too. And the damn truck beeped every two minutes, sometimes for no apparent reason. I think it was just trying to piss me off... šŸ˜«

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR

Shouldn't you take a step back and NOT compare all of Chrysler products with a 4Runner in terms of reliability? Why don't you look at Wrangler reliability vs 4Runner?
LOL at 4Runner being so reliable.

Luke3.0

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0
The Bronco seems to be very photogenic but in person not so much. It will age quickly and quickly be forgotten.
The Jeep is timeless and striking in person. I am bias of course, but FCA has something special and I hope they donā€™t screw it up in future redesigns.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Shouldn't you take a step back and NOT compare all of Chrysler products with a 4Runner in terms of reliability? Why don't you look at Wrangler reliability vs 4Runner?
LOL at 4Runner being so reliable.
A Wrangler is a Chrysler product just as a 4Runner is a Toyota.

have a lot of respect for Toyota as an automaker. But I only lasted six months behind the wheel of a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I had no issues with its off-road capability, or even its on-road comfort. But the overall package was just not very satisfying.
I can relate to that statement. I had a similar decision when I got my Yamaha Super Tenere. The BMW GS is an amazing machine. Both the KTM and Ducati adventure bikes had sickening horsepower. In the end I chose the Yamaha. For me I'm glad I did. It is not as satisfying as far as features. But it is so damn reliable and comfortable for peeling off mega mile rides.

The Wrangler is all about capability and function first. And having driven a few and my best friends and uncles experience with theirs, it's in the running.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Bullshit! I looked it up

4 door Bronco Vs Wrangler - Soft-top
Height: 73" vs 73.6"
Width without mirrors: 75.9" vs 73.8"
Length: 189.4" vs 188.4

So 2" wider and 1" longer give me that much more space in the driver seat, something is wrong with the Wrangler.
The JL is so damn wide compared to a TJ, which I felt was about the right width for a Jeep (67 inches of memory serves). I can't image what it will be like to take a bronco through the woods or up a shelf road. Wide off road vehicles are probably good for running fast on a gravel road or across the desert, but I only seeing it causing problems on Jeep trails.

Sponsored

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a lot of respect for Toyota as an automaker. But I only lasted six months behind the wheel of a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road. I had no issues with its off-road capability, or even its on-road comfort. But the overall package was just not very satisfying.

The Toyota dealer was 100 times better than my Jeep dealer. And I am sure that engine and transmission would have given me 200,000 miles of worry-free driving, but they provided zero enjoyment. The engine felt anemic; the automatic transmission was atrocious. Seriously, I donā€™t recall automatics being this bad even in the 80s!

The seats were uncomfortable, too. And the damn truck beeped every two minutes, sometimes for no apparent reason. I think it was just trying to piss me off... šŸ˜«
This. 100% this. I moved from a 2019 4Runner Trail back into my 2021 JLUR (had a JKUR). The 4Runner was boring to drive, boring to look at, no soul, "acceptable" off road. I had an Icon lift, front bumper replaced with a slimline, rock sliders, winch, and had to take all the bypasses. Had to be winched. On the road, the ride was no better than the JL, in fact worse. Could not pull a hill without revving sky high. Gas mileage wasn't anything to write home about, in fact the JL gets better on 35" tires. It would have lasted forever, but now that I'm on the downhill side of 46 years old, I'd rather count smiles and joy rather than reliability. I hope Toyota knocks it out of the park with the 6th gen as I've always been a Toyota fanboy, but man they are boring. I've never liked Ford. I thought maybe the Bronco would have a positive influence and it did, still positive I won't own a Ford product.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
A Wrangler is a Chrysler product just as a 4Runner is a Toyota.

I can relate to that statement. I had a similar decision when I got my Yamaha Super Tenere. The BMW GS is an amazing machine. Both the KTM and Ducati adventure bikes had sickening horsepower. In the end I chose the Yamaha. For me I'm glad I did. It is not as satisfying as far as features. But it is so damn reliable and comfortable for peeling off mega mile rides.

The Wrangler is all about capability and function first. And having driven a few and my best friends and uncles experience with theirs, it's in the running.
missing-the-point.png

And, FYI, KTM is extremely reliable. You are living in the 90s.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
A comment about grab handles speaks to the overall build quality? Jeez talk about the Jeep community reaching for why the Jeep is better. I'm not saying that it isn't but I haven't even driven one to make that determination yet.
That's why I referred to it as a "little thing" in the very 1st post:
"Just a little thing, but is it indicative of the vehicle's overall sturdiness?"

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Have you played with the doors of a Bronco. Meaning, open and close the door and watch the window mush itself into the weatherstripping that doesn't have a window groove. There's also a delay in the window cracking open automatically after the door is unlatched. If you don't pause before pulling the door open, the window quivers. And because there's no window frame, the stacked tolerances in all of the window regulator parts causes the window to hit or miss as far as closing fully square to the weatherstripping.

I've seen much better fit and finish in a vehicle that costs a third of the price. The same cheapness extended all the way to the cargo area.

I wish I had pics of the interiors. The salesman, who was giving my wife the full tour, asked me to please not take any pics. He was nice enough to answer a number of my wife's questions, so I obliged without questioning why. All I got were a couple of exterior pics. And before leaving the lot, I backed my Jeep next to the Wildtrack for a side by side shot, but the gm was quick to come out and move it behind the building. He even shot me an annoyed look as he hopped in it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Damning quote on Bronco vs Wrangler missing-the-point

This was the image in my mind while the guy was showing us the broncos with the wavy windows.
I was going to say those plastic windows on the soft top SUCK!!!! I bet the guy who got the Bronco with the steelies must have paid upwards of $50K. lol

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
That is one thing Jeep could and should learn from Ford: Marketing. The new Jeep commercials, all silent and woodsy, donā€™t inform and certainly donā€™t inspire. Not sure who they are creating that content for. Waste of money.
I don't know why any manufactuers or dealerships are advertising at all right now. If they have stock of something and don't put a huge markup on it, they will sell all the cars they need in this environment.
Sponsored