First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
While my JL is at the dealer getting the steering box TSB, I got a 2021 Nissan Kicks to drive around: cheap plastics everywhere, rubber-band transmission, noisy engine, Quasimodo-inspired ergonomics... Despite its small dimensions, it is the biggest piece of sh!t I’ve been in a long time!

Seriously, it makes our Jeeps feel like a Mercedes-Benz 😫
I rented a Kicks, terrible vehicle with a underpowered engine.
Not a fan of CVT. Very happy to turn in that turd. Could not imagine living daily with that.
Sponsored

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
That makes sense. eTorque is designed to help precisely when the tires start turning. When you mount 35s, the part that becomes hardest is getting the tires to start turning.

Jeep should have positioned eTorque as an “innovation” that helps when we lift our Jeeps and mount 35-inch tires! Instead of disparaging it, people would be lining up to order eTorque if it had been marketed like that.
Yeah, Jeep hasn’t marketed it well. Even a lot of enthusiasts on this forum don’t understand it. You can only imagine the average customer out there probably has never heard of it.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Have you played with the doors of a Bronco. Meaning, open and close the door and watch the window mush itself into the weatherstripping that doesn't have a window groove. There's also a delay in the window cracking open automatically after the door is unlatched. If you don't pause before pulling the door open, the window quivers. And because there's no window frame, the stacked tolerances in all of the window regulator parts causes the window to hit or miss as far as closing fully square to the weatherstripping.

I've seen much better fit and finish in a vehicle that costs a third of the price. The same cheapness extended all the way to the cargo area.

I wish I had pics of the interiors. The salesman, who was giving my wife the full tour, asked me to please not take any pics. He was nice enough to answer a number of my wife's questions, so I obliged without questioning why. All I got were a couple of exterior pics. And before leaving the lot, I backed my Jeep next to the Wildtrack for a side by side shot, but the gm was quick to come out and move it behind the building. He even shot me an annoyed look as he hopped in it.
20210824_172817.jpg
20210824_172936.jpg
20210824_173105.jpg

This was the image in my mind while the guy was showing us the broncos with the wavy windows.
3DRSoyb.gif
WTF?? Why wouldn't they let you take pictures? What are they hiding. I wouldn't put up with that BS. You are way nicer than I.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
WTF?? Why wouldn't they let you take pictures? What are they hiding. I wouldn't put up with that BS. You are way nicer than I.
Seeing me pull in with a Wrangler and start taking pics probably looked like nothing but bad press for them. My wife was coming across as interested, and I just looked like I came to snicker at it. Which is only half true.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Seeing me pull in with a Wrangler and start taking pics probably looked like nothing but bad press for them. My wife was coming across as interested, and I just looked like I came to snicker at it. Which is only half true.
I can kind of see it, but I don't know. My first reaction would be "It's a free country, I can take a picture of anything I want to." It's not like it's behind closed doors and you had to sign an NDA in order to get a look. Secondly I would think they would want to let the word get out to generate some buzz that they have a couple Broncos in stock.

Their reaction seems like they're embarrassed of the Bronco to the point that it clearly doesn't live up to the hype.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
I rented a Kicks, terrible vehicle with a underpowered engine.
Not a fan of CVT. Very happy to turn in that turd. Could not imagine living daily with that.
My same thought on the 2014 Rogue SL AWD I had. Absolutely abysmal performance with that CVT. God help you trying to get off the line and have the AC blowing simultaneously. Nissan has earned the bad reputation it’s gotten. Hard to believe that in 2014, they were considered a market leader in North America.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Yeah, Jeep hasn’t marketed it well. Even a lot of enthusiasts on this forum don’t understand it. You can only imagine the average customer out there probably has never heard of it.
That is one thing Jeep could and should learn from Ford: Marketing. The new Jeep commercials, all silent and woodsy, don’t inform and certainly don’t inspire. Not sure who they are creating that content for. Waste of money.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can kind of see it, but I don't know. My first reaction would be "It's a free country, I can take a picture of anything I want to." It's not like it's behind closed doors and you had to sign and NDA in order to get a look. Secondly I would think they would want to let the word get out to generate some buzz that they have a couple Broncos in stock.

Their reaction seems like they're embarrassed of the Bronco to the point that it clearly doesn't live up to the hype.
Bronco marketing caused an unnecessary dividing line between the Bronco and Wrangler. Just utter the Jeep name at a Bronco gathering and they're followers are quick to break out the tar and feathers.

I've gotten strange reactions a couple other times. One was as I slowly passed one of my 1st bronco sightings on the highway. We were both running with the windows wide open, so I could clearly see the driver had the "here's my natural enemy that I was told about" look on his face. I gave him a smile, nod, and a thumbs up and he immediately lit up and did the same in return. 2nd was at a different dealer. They had a yellow Badlands with the sasquatch, and because I was the only non employee there at the time, a few salesmen were way more interested in asking all sorts of questions about my Jeep. When I tried to bring up the bronco, they made some comments against the launch and the finished product and went right back to Jeep talk. I thought they happened to be Jeepers working at a Ford dealer, but not a single one of them drove a Jeep.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
That is one thing Jeep could and should learn from Ford: Marketing. The new Jeep commercials, all silent and woodsy, don’t inform and certainly don’t inspire. Not sure who they are creating that content for. Waste of money.
Ford absolutely nailed the hype out of the Bronco. Friends who aren’t off-roaders, never seen one in person, are asking me about it. Around here, I’ve only seen one Bronco in the wild, and two dealership props.

Meanwhile, I daily drive a 4xe. And guess what? No one cares. Those friends are interested in my new Jeep, but have no idea what it is until they see me plugging it in. To the average person, the 4xe just looks like an “islander” or other trim package.

Personally, I’m fine with the lack of interest. But I do feel Jeep is at a significant disadvantage in their non-enthusiast marketing.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Damning quote on Bronco vs Wrangler
Reminds me of all the stupid click bait headlines.. "so and so SLAMS so and so over "insert stupid thing".
One guy says some stupid shit about something, it gets fed into the echo chamber to help people reinforce their current limited world views.

At the end of the day, both vehicles have their place and both are object lessons in the compromises you need to make depending on how you focus the vehicle. i.e focus on articulation and road manners turn to shit. Focus on high speed comfort and articulation suffers.

Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
A comment about grab handles speaks to the overall build quality? Jeez talk about the Jeep community reaching for why the Jeep is better. I'm not saying that it isn't but I haven't even driven one to make that determination yet.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of all the stupid click bait headlines.. "so and so SLAMS so and so over "insert stupid thing".
One guy says some stupid shit about something, it gets fed into the echo chamber to help people reinforce their current limited world views.

At the end of the day, both vehicles have their place and both are object lessons in the compromises you need to make depending on how you focus the vehicle. i.e focus on articulation and road manners turn to shit. Focus on high speed comfort and articulation suffers.
I'm building mine for crawling, but it's also my daily driver. I have insane articulation and it also rides and handles better than it did in stock form. Compromises in drive ability are mainly due to lower quality and/or incomplete lift kits and not putting enough focus on the supporting parts that handle and resist the increased leverage forces that come with larger tires and higher ride height.
Jeep Wrangler JL Damning quote on Bronco vs Wrangler 20200831_111107
Jeep Wrangler JL Damning quote on Bronco vs Wrangler 20211014_133132

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
Jeep Wrangler JL Damning quote on Bronco vs Wrangler 1634735845470

This was the image in my mind while the guy was showing us the broncos with the wavy windows.
wow that soft-top really looks great....where did they hide the drawstrings on that Hefty Glad Bag?
Sponsored