Sponsored

Damaged stock JL tailgate from bigger spare tire?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I had 35x11.5 AT3 and now 37x12.5 KM3. Seems to be a non issue at this point. Using RC relocation kit but that’s it.
Now that you mention it I am also running the RC relocation bracket. According to the specs shipping weight is 15lbs so I’d say the mount itself is probably 12-13lbs to add to the actual tailgate.

DBFFDE5C-8944-4A77-BDDD-3C4970F18164.png
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I ran a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler on Mopar beadlocks on my stock tailgate for right at 4 years with no issues. I'm moving up to 40's so bought a Teraflex carrier now.

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
It seems pretty stout, I’d say the weakest point is the hinge and the wife and kids not understanding ,”don’t slam it!”

I haven’t noticed any sag in the gate though and alignment is still perfect.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
It seems pretty stout, I’d say the weakest point is the hinge and the wife and kids not understanding ,”don’t slam it!”

I haven’t noticed any sag in the gate though and alignment is still perfect.
why not slam it? is that only if you've got an oversize tire?
Probably not one of your kids but can do a DNA test.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I ran a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler on Mopar beadlocks on my stock tailgate for right at 4 years with no issues. I'm moving up to 40's so bought a Teraflex carrier now.
That is the experience I had as well. 37 worked fine for a few years and now upgraded with the TeraFlex carrier for a future 40.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just downladed the manual and can confirm that in the current manual, it says nothing about the 85 lb limit for the tailgate. Nothing is mentioned at all, as far as I could tell.
Very curious why/when it was decided that the disclaimer should removed from the manuals..

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
Not scientific, but I would think the door catch is going to fail long before the rest of the tailgate and hinge. I have 37 BFG KM3s, Titan tank, Terraflex mount, and Mopar TG reinforcement and now I find more than new looseness of the TG catch.

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not scientific, but I would think the door catch is going to fail long before the rest of the tailgate and hinge. I have 37 BFG KM3s, Titan tank, Terraflex mount, and Mopar TG reinforcement and now I find more than new looseness of the TG catch.
Good point!

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I'm running the same combo without the Titan tank. Thanks for the warning.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
While at EJS and at the Mopar performance display, I asked two Reps. about the Mopar re-enforcement brace. They both had the same story, tailgate is weak and will deform overtime with a heavy tire. Hinge is not an issue, just the length of the gate and why Mopar has horizontal strengthening braces to spread the load across the tailgates length. Both said my 35x12.5 tire and AEV wheel offset +25, would not need relocation. They where right and tire and wheel mounted up perfectly on OEM carrier and rubber stops. Both said they are not salesmen and mentioned, don't slam the tailgate. That to me seems totally logical, the spares weight is akin to a slap hammer pounding on the middle of the tailgates length between the hinge and latch. I have been thing about trying an expensive after market brace like this for $75. https://www.extremeterrain.com/redr...F6RukvSMWbzcvEH87sxoCKTQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
the looseness of the JL tailgate latch seems fairly common when new (stock spare). My JLR tailgate has a slight clunky looseness when closed that bothered me, and I learned here on the JL forum about aftermarket latches. The one I got seems to have tightened mine up ok.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
I feel like I remember reading a post here about adding a piece of electrical tape around the latch assembly to help get rid of some of that clunk noise when driving. Anybody?
Sponsored