Sponsored

Damaged stock JL tailgate from bigger spare tire?

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
the plastic mount for the actual wheel had a serious crack on one of my jk's and needed a steel replacement. hinges were good for 11 years but i changed them with some take-offs before selling it mostly for cosmetic rust reasons.
if the jl is actually stronger (unsure on that or if its just different) then perhaps just try it out for a while and check it periodically before spending coin perhaps not needed
Sponsored

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
This video explains some of the improvements in the JL tailgate:

It's still unclear. Is he saying that it can hold a trail table that holds 85 lbs or is he saying it can hold a trail table for a combined weight, between tire and table, of 85 lbs? The JK, if I'm not mistaken, was also rated at 85 lbs and while I can't confirm, the 85 lb limit in the manual was in the older manuals, but the new manual is missing that detail.

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It's still unclear. Is he saying that it can hold a trail table that holds 85 lbs or is he saying it can hold a trail table for a combined weight, between tire and table, of 85 lbs? The JK, if I'm not mistaken, was also rated at 85 lbs and while I can't confirm, the 85 lb limit in the manual was in the older manuals, but the new manual is missing that detail.
Gross weight per their spec: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ate-from-bigger-spare-tire.94382/post-1958706

So far we have up to 105 lbs with no issue so it will be interesting to see if we have anyone come forward with an actual issue with a stock tailgate and more than 105 lbs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also in that video he is running a 37" on a beadlock wheel that is probably more than 85lbs.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw that, but I recall seeing posts stating that the new manuals don't have that disclaimer in them anymore. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that.
Interesting. Sounds like maybe the 85lbs might have been a copy/paste from the JK manual?

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just downladed the manual and can confirm that in the current manual, it says nothing about the 85 lb limit for the tailgate. Nothing is mentioned at all, as far as I could tell.
Thanks for checking that. Since the force on the tailgate components are a variety of dynamic loads on the trail, greater than the static load in the driveway, it makes sense why they wouldn't want to document an acceptable pound limit in the manual. For that reason it's interesting to see what the real life results are for those running large tires on the stock gate. Anyone out there experience any failure with the stock setup and a heavy tire/wheel?

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Tagging along... I want to move up from 33s to 35s on my JLR. Pretty sure that will be okay but it gets complicated if I decide to go with an aftermarket bumper along with retaining my sensors and backup camera. I could also see me wanting to add rotopaxs for extra gas. The 2dr fuel tank is unfortunately a little small for longer offroad treks.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
I had 35x11.5 AT3 and now 37x12.5 KM3. Seems to be a non issue at this point. Using RC relocation kit but that’s it.
Do you know what the RC kit is rated for? I have the Teraflex Alpha HD mount but not the reinforcement. It says it’s up to 100 lbs but if the tailgate is really stronger, I wonder if that’s plenty for 37s.
Sponsored

Reactions: LCW