Sponsored

Damaged stock JL tailgate from bigger spare tire?

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Went shopping for rubber today.

Costco said $339 for 315/70-17 KO2 C load range, balanced and mounted. But they would not mount on my OEM wheels.

Discount Tire said $386 for the same plus $10 for TPMS swap. No problem mounting on the OEM wheels. Suggested the 35s (E load) for $30ea less but these are approx. 68lb vs 63lb. OEM 285s are 58lb.

For me, stomaching 25lb gross weight increase instead of 50lb is worth $150.

Too bad Costco is 'buy the book'.
The ride on the C load will be much nicer on the road too.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Went shopping for rubber today.

Costco said $339 for 315/70-17 KO2 C load range, balanced and mounted. But they would not mount on my OEM wheels.

Discount Tire said $386 for the same plus $10 for TPMS swap. No problem mounting on the OEM wheels. Suggested the 35s (E load) for $30ea less but these are approx. 68lb vs 63lb. OEM 285s are 58lb.

For me, stomaching 25lb gross weight increase instead of 50lb is worth $150.

Too bad Costco is 'buy the book'.
Yeah, good choice in sticking to the C-rated 315's. That extra $150 is only temporarily noticed, whereas the extra weight and stiffer ride would be a lasting reminder. I made the same move back during my 1st tire swap.

A quick glimpse into my personal tire experience: I previously had a set of C-rated 38x13.5 Milestar Patagonias. I couldn't wait for the C-rated 40x13.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T's, so I went with D-rated 40x13.5 Patagonias. I thought the added cushion of the larger tire would negate the heavier load rating, but if it did at all, it wasn't enough to immediately notice the extra stiffness. "No Ragrets", just thought it was worth noting.

Congrats on the new rubber!

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I have E load 285/70/17 tires on Rhino Arsenal wheels - the extra weight isn't too bad and like the assurance of a stronger sidewall. Run at 35 psi. The ride is better than the 20's it came with from the factory too.

Sponsored

Sjr87

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Just got my jeep back after 2.5 months at the dealer.

right before the transmission failure I picked up 17x9 dirty life -12 offset wheels and 315 BFGs. They’re currently mounted on the stock tailgate with the rough country spacer.
Seems to stick out pretty far now. I have since added the longer bump stops.

I definitely feel like I have some additional rattling. Is there an adjustment/aftermarket latch I can use?

I planned on a teraflex mount but after having the transmission leak with 1600 miles I’m hesitant to drop more money on it right now.

IMG_6405.png

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just got my jeep back after 2.5 months at the dealer.

right before the transmission failure I picked up 17x9 dirty life -12 offset wheels and 315 BFGs. They’re currently mounted on the stock tailgate with the rough country spacer.
Seems to stick out pretty far now. I have since added the longer bump stops.

I definitely feel like I have some additional rattling. Is there an adjustment/aftermarket latch I can use?

I planned on a teraflex mount but after having the transmission leak with 1600 miles I’m hesitant to drop more money on it right now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Damaged stock JL tailgate from bigger spare tire? IMG_6405
Extending your bump stop until it touches your tire (in your picture) will help with the vibration. There are companies that make extended bump stops and Jeep owners that have done the DIY approach and used PVC pipes, hockey pucks, etc. to lengthen it. As far as a the latch, I haven't heard of people upgrading their latches. To take the wiggle out of the tailgate, most upgrade their hinges and/or use something to stiffen/support the gate surface better.

Sjr87

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Picked up longer bump stops. Still seems noisy. Admittedly I didn’t really drive it long enough to know what stock sounded like. Only had it about a month.

OP
OP
kah.mun.rah

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Picked up longer bump stops. Still seems noisy. Admittedly I didn’t really drive it long enough to know what stock sounded like. Only had it about a month.
A lot of the issue is how far away from the gate your tire is from your wheel offset. If you can get an adjustable tire carrier that brings your tire back closer to the gate, there will not be as much torque being applied to your gate from the tire/wheel assembly.

Sjr87

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
That’s my concern. Tire shop whose owner is a self proclaimed wrangler guy (also recommended by local wrangler group) said he’s seen the set up run on hundreds of jeeps.

the RC spacer really pushed the -12mm off set wheels out. I honestly thought I’d be able to run it without the spacer.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
That’s my concern. Tire shop whose owner is a self proclaimed wrangler guy (also recommended by local wrangler group) said he’s seen the set up run on hundreds of jeeps.

the RC spacer really pushed the -12mm off set wheels out. I honestly thought I’d be able to run it without the spacer.
You're talking about the RC relocation thing, right? This: https://www.roughcountry.com/product/configurable/jeep-spare-tire-relocation-plate-10526c

That's really to move the tire up, the move out is just a result of how they accomplish it. Do you have enough room between the tire and bumper to get rid of it?

Sjr87

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Ya that’s what they installed. They said it was hitting the bumper.
Sponsored