Damage Found After Delivery

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I've been reading through the forum for a while now and decided to pull the trigger on a 2018 JL. I wasn't entirely ready for a new JL as I had a 2017 JK, but it would flood when it rained and after a year and 3 trips to the dealer, it was either live with wet feet, trade-in, or take advantage of the "Lemon Law". Being a couple thousand under water on the trade, I wasn't exactly thrilled with the situation, but I was ready to be done with the headache of leaks.

Sadly, my first post is one of frustration. I took delivery of a black JL with black interior at night. The next morning after being able to see the new Jeep in daylight I noticed a small slice in the driver's leather seat. I live in Florida and took delivery of the Jeep wearing a t-shirt. I don't wear jewelry. I don't have pets. I'm 100% confident I did not ruin my seat on the drive home from the dealership.

No big deal that's why new vehicles have a warranty right? Apparently not. I took the Jeep back to the dealership so they could order a new leather seat cover. They took pictures and sent them off to FCA to get repair authorization - which was denied. They do not believe it to be a factory defect. So here I am with a new Jeep to replace my leaking almost new Jeep and I get to start off the relationship with a sliced seat. Maybe @JeepCares ? Maybe not.

Is it just me or does the "grain" of the vinyl seems to disappear around the slice? If so, it more heavily weights this as being a manufacturing defect that wasn't caught.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Damage Found After Delivery {filename}

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Totally agree. The "grain" is definitely missing. I'd say surefire defect. Take macro shots. Talk to Jeep cares and fall FCA.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. It will work out.

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Grain is definitely 'rubbed off'/was never there in those two spots. I bet you will find more, without the "cuts", on that seat, or others.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Definitely looks suspect, looks like it might have been repaired already with one of those leather repair kits you notice classic loss of detail in the grain.

Last edited:

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Almost certainly a failed repair. When we repair a leather seat, the grain almost goes away and it becomes smoother than the rest of the seat. This is what it looks like. Wish I had a better answer but it can be repaired for $100-$150 by a vendor at the dealership, I'm sure they use one. We do here..

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The dealership will likely replace it under warranty. That's a pretty minor problem overall.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
I went through the same issue. It will NOT be covered under warranty. They do not consider it to be a factory defect and will not take responsibility for it. I discovered mine while broken down on the side of the road which happened driving back from the dealer after purchasing the Jeep (Idaho to Washington), but they didn’t care.

Luckily one of the issues I noticed before signing for it so the dealer covered the repair on their own dime. Another two got rejected by my local dealer. One of them is small and covered by the seat belt so I let it go, the other is a trim piece around the climate controls that is getting replaced, but only because I emailed the FCA CEO.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The dealership will likely replace it under warranty. That's a pretty minor problem overall.
Wow ,
This is not a long thread , you didn’t even take a second to read anything. That’s what started this thread the OP was denied warranty.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wow ,
This is not a long thread , you didn’t even take a second to read anything. That’s what started this thread the OP was denied warranty.
He needs to press the issue. This isn’t the first time this same problem has been posted here.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Did the dealership cut the seat with a razor when they took the plastic off the seat from shipping? Just a thought????

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Did the dealership cut the seat with a razor when they took the plastic off the seat from shipping? Just a thought????
That's exactly what I was thinking!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
To me, not only do I not see a slice, but I also don't think I'd fight the dealership over it.

The top texture can be rubbed to the point of an abrasion without actually cutting through. That's what it appears to be here. And, those seats are going to look worse than that 6 months from now. Wear and tear happens. The best cure here is to get a pen and lightly color it to match the seat and you won't even notice it.

I just spent $300 last year on a leather repair to a seat that had a true slice in it. But what I see in those pictures above doesn't even register as something that's worth pissing off the dealership over. Save that fight for later when you may really need it.
Sponsored