Sponsored

Daily Driver- Wrangler JL 2019-yes or no.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I decided to write this post for those people that are trying to decide on purchasing a JLU having not owned a Wrangler before. I've had a lot of new vehicles over the years. Not because I'm wealthy, I'm not, but because I'm obsessed with Cars, Trucks, SUV's etc. I traded in a 2012 Min Countryman for a Range Rover Evoque. Traded in the Evoque for a Kia Sorrento SXL-V6. Traded in a 12 Corvette Grand Sport as part of the Range Rover trade. I'm naming those few vehicles so I can give you an idea of how I can compare my 2019 Wrangler JLU to other daily drivers.

Consumer Reports states that the Wrangler's wind noise makes it only good for around town jaunts. That is OBSURD. Let me just say, the Wrangler JL does have some extra wind noise due to the flat windshield. However, it is by no means "loud". You hear it, but I have no problem having discussions in my Jeep on the highway in any way. Overall, the Jeep is relatively quiet, it really is, just that windshield noise can be a little annoying but not bad. The ride is a bit stiff over bumpy side roads, but no worse in my opinion then my Mini, or even a Honda CRV. It isn't really that bad. The steering I find quick and pretty accurate, and I can turn it around fairly sharp turns with complete stability and grip. My Sorrento wasn't much better. I can honestly say that I LOVE driving my Jeep. I really love it. I bet excited every time I drive it and often look for reasons to get in and go for even a short ride even when I have no reason to go anywhere.

I have owned a new 84 Jeep CJ7- that was rough. I learned to drive in my dad's very old 1944 Willy's. That was VERY rough. My 90, 92, 95, 97 TJ, Wranglers were all loved and at the time I thought they drove pretty well, but I was in my 20's and 30's so I didn't expect much. My 87 Suzuki Samurai- I loved it, but actually got whiplash over the George Washington Bridge in NY over a bad pothole. Im not exaggerating- it was brutal. So, can I recommend the JL as a daily driver?. COMPLETELY. The V6 is strong and the 8spd tranny is near perfect. Mine is a Sahara with everything - literally accept the color matched top. 12K miles and not a single issue, not even a rattle. Not one. For those of you wondering if you can see it as your dally driver, go for it. You will love it. Enjoy, God Bless.

Update: It's now July 11 2020. Our 5 year anniversary. My wife and I that is. 21,000 on my Wrangler and still not so much as even a single rattle. Perfect and loving it as much or more then the day I bought it. My wife loves quiet and comfortable and she said she has never felt uncomfortable or annoyed with my Jeep, ride, noise or otherwise. Granted her Cherokee is much cushier, but I have a friend with a Scion and another with a Honda CRV and they ride much stiffer then my Wrangler. Not sure what all this hoopla over the steering is, I find it fairly quick, accurate, easy and fun. Not a single complaint.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a string of JKs and a Toyota Tacoma, I concur: JLs are pretty quiet.

I added the Mopar headliner and I can hold a normal conversation at 75 MPH.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you break it up into paragraph form, it'll read much better:like:
TL;DR Yes, your Jeep is an awesome DD:rock:

I was thinking the same thing :LOL:

NukaCola

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Turbocharged 2.0
Occupation
Mechanic Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
I use my JL as a DD now too, it is a great drive and I love walking out from work and actually enjoying my vehicle haha
so i agree

Sponsored

Loki Kai

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
We have had several Jeeps through the years. Wranglers and Cherokees of various models and trim. Our most recent Wrangler was TJ and all were 2DR. My Wife often commented that she would like to have had a 4DR. Mostly because of daily driving Grand Cherokees. I started looking at the JL and found a really good deal on ours. My DD has been a 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel Limited since new. She drove the Jeep for about two months and took the TRUCK. I now have the JL and LOVE it! BTW both are better DD than the "Wagoneer" in the background. But it uses more HORSEPOWER :)
20191128_073007.jpg

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
We have had several Jeeps through the years. Wranglers and Cherokees of various models and trim. Our most recent Wrangler was TJ and all were 2DR. My Wife often commented that she would like to have had a 4DR. Mostly because of daily driving Grand Cherokees. I started looking at the JL and found a really good deal on ours. My DD has been a 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel Limited since new. She drove the Jeep for about two months and took the TRUCK. I now have the JL and LOVE it! BTW both are better DD than the "Wagoneer" in the background. But it uses more HORSEPOWER :)
20191128_073007.jpg
How many people won’t get Wagoneer...???? :giggle:

Mine is my DD also. LOVE IT!!!!!!
ACB8B430-36AB-42B8-A653-D2294F01B5CE.jpeg

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I felt like I was taking a bit of a gamble buying ours as my DD. However, I agree with the OP. Sure, there are a few compromises, but the fun factor outweighs them all! IMO, it is the best DD I've had.

I've discovered over the years, that I prefer driving something interesting more than "the best". Heck, I'm 300 pounds and commuted in a Miata for 15 years! LOL

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If you break it up into paragraph form, it'll read much better:like:
TL;DR Yes, your Jeep is an awesome DD:rock:
That’s “obsurd.” ;)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I see people in Socal that DD topless CJs and everything up to a loaded JLU hardtop. It's about your attitude, not creature comforts. People used to DD horses. Some of my favorite times on a horse were in the worst weather. Life is about experiences. That guy in the suit that always had a Beemer for a DD will never remember any experience in it.

I have DD a crewcab 4x4 pickup for many years now. I bought the JLUR a year ago as part of my retirement plan to do more hunting. I didn't retire as planned yet, and the JLUR was a wandering beast that was a chore to keep on the road. So, it didn't get much driving. I did some DD to and from my job 25 miles away. But it was work to keep it straight and I never really enjoyed it. I only put 6000 miles on it around LA in a year. I'm a 25-28k annual driver. I tried, but it sucked. My wife drove it one time in a year, part of the drive home from the purchase. Never again.

I read all the stuff on this forum and finally decided to attempt a fix with aftermarket parts. I fixed the steering recently and WOW! I really enjoy it around town. It's easy to park and make u-turns, easy to see over most sedans in traffic, and is acceptably quiet with the hardtop and the noise cancelling technology.Alpine system. I DD a lot now. But I'm gonna stop DD to work in a month.................retiring finally.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dodd5724

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve rotated through several vehicles over the last decade trying to find “the one”. Nothing has lasted longer than the two other Wranglers that I’ve had. I flip-flop between vehicles that provide more utility and vehicles that provide more comfort, tech, etc..

My most recent vehicle, a BMW X6, was a phenomenal ride. Sporty, comfortable, sounded great, decent storage, room for a car seat, and so on. Really a close-to-perfect daily driver. While great in many ways, it didn’t have the “it factor”. It didn’t have the character like a Jeep. It just wasn’t me, if that makes sense.

I know that many people dogged on the JK, and now the JL, for being sissified mall crawlers. They weren’t “real Jeeps” to many previous generation owners. For a vehicle that I’m going to daily drive 20 miles each way to work, carry a toddler in the back, and go on longer trips in, I think the JL does a pretty damn good job of holding up to the daily grind. Sure, you have some give with the take, but for these vehicles to have remained as capable as they are, while still being comfortable for day in, day out use, I think Jeep has done something right.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I see people in Socal that DD topless CJs and everything up to a loaded JLU hardtop. It's about your attitude, not creature comforts. People used to DD horses. Some of my favorite times on a horse were in the worst weather. Life is about experiences. That guy in the suit that always had a Beemer for a DD will never remember any experience in it.

I have DD a crewcab 4x4 pickup for many years now. I bought the JLUR a year ago as part of my retirement plan to do more hunting. I didn't retire as planned yet, and the JLUR was a wandering beast that was a chore to keep on the road. So, it didn't get much driving. I did some DD to and from my job 25 miles away. But it was work to keep it straight and I never really enjoyed it. I only put 6000 miles on it around LA in a year. I'm a 25-28k annual driver. I tried, but it sucked. My wife drove it one time in a year, part of the drive home from the purchase. Never again.

I read all the stuff on this forum and finally decided to attempt a fix with aftermarket parts. I fixed the steering recently and WOW! I really enjoy it around town. It's easy to park and make u-turns, easy to see over most sedans in traffic, and is acceptably quiet with the hardtop and the noise cancelling technology.Alpine system. I DD a lot now. But I'm gonna stop DD to work in a month.................retiring finally.

When I first got my
Happy Retirement:champagne::party::beer::handsinair::rock::like:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Happy Retirement:champagne::party::beer::handsinair::rock::like:

Thank you. It may be short lived, sorta. They want me to come back as a "consultant". But it would be part time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I owned several fast cars before that were loads of fun, like 500HP Chrysler 300 SRTs, Dodge Challenger SRTs and Scat Packs. They put to shame BMWs and Mercedes costing tens of thousands of dollars more; and got lots of compliments from total strangers.

But no matter how much fun performance vehicles are, going fast gets old fast.

That’s not so with Wranglers: their sense of fun is a lot more relaxed, easy going and enduring.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I owned several fast cars before that were loads of fun, like 500HP Chrysler 300 SRTs, Dodge Challenger SRTs and Scat Packs. They put to shame BMWs and Mercedes costing tens of thousands of dollars more; and got lots of compliments from total strangers.

But no matter how much fun performance vehicles are, going fast gets old fast.

That’s not so with Wranglers: their sense of fun is a lot more relaxed, easy going and enduring.
I drove a 14 SS Camaro for a few years as my commuter, off and on with the crewcab pickup. It was fun for a while, but I never relaxed. I just went faster. My bloodpressure was up when I got to work (LA traffic). With the truck or Jeep, I am relaxed and drink a coffee on the way to work.
Sponsored