First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Kansas was the center of a weather phenomenon known as a Cyclone Bomb. Winds were 40-50 mph with gusts hitting 60mph.
Tractor trailers, trees, and power poles blew over. A UPS truck blew into my lane. It was brutal.
I was concerned about the wind affecting the Sky One-Touch Power Top. Early beta drivers said they could see daylight at the top's edges when the crosswinds blew.
The top remained tight and surprisingly quiet. I could hear a lot of external winds howling and battering the Jeep.
I love this top more every day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Kansas was the center of a weather phenomenon known as a Cyclone Bomb. Winds were 40-50 mph with gusts hitting 60mph.
Tractor trailers, trees, and power poles blew over. A UPS truck blew into my lane. It was brutal.
I was concerned about the wind effecting the Sky One-Touch Power Top. Early beta drivers said they could see daylight at the top's edges when the crosswinds blew.
The top remained tight and surprisingly quiet. I could hear a lot of external winds howling and battering the Jeep.
To think people were doubting it's reliability online. It's treated me and my family good as well!

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
A cyclone bomb? Is that the same as a microburst?
Negative. A cyclone bomb is basically a low pressure system that intensities very rapidly and very deep. A cyclone is either high pressure or low pressure, as both circulate. We generally speak of cyclones as lows since this is where weather that we focus on comes from. A low either deepens (intensifies) or fills (weakens), and is measured in pressure. For a cyclone to be considered a bomb, it should deepen 24 milibars within 24 hours, or 12 in 12, but not necessarily at a 1 per hour rate.

The key is air is a form of mass, when there is a large shift like this, that mass needs to go somewhere. Hence we experience extremely high winds over a large area for an extended period of time.

With a microburst, that is small scale and can be isolated. It does not have to be directly associated with low pressure systems, and can be thermally induced. A great example of such an association is the severe thunderstorms experienced from coastal Central Texas along tornado alley.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Wow. Very well articulated answer, @BLLFRG. You a meteorologist?

...or a copy/paste(r), lol.

Sponsored

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4

lol I am a Navy Forecaster. So technically neither lol

I don't have a college degree of any sort, but I have been forecasting anywhere from the Rocky's to Afghanistan, North Pole to Australia for about 10 years.

Mojito St Pete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JLUR - Previously 2014 BMW 335i, 2011 Exo X, 2007 WRX
Bomb cyclone sounds so much cooler

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Someone should name their JL "Bomb Cyclone."

Thanks for the detailed info @BLLFRG. I do know what you mean about the scale. We had a microburst in Lawrence about 10 years ago that destroyed campus but did no damage anywhere else. Tiny area for a weather phenomenon.

hotttdogggg

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was concerned about the wind affecting the Sky One-Touch Power Top. Early beta drivers said they could see daylight at the top's edges when the crosswinds blew.
Curious why you were on the road during this event

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Bomb cyclone was a total joke. Hit us in Windsor Co and yeah it was windy but. NOt really cold though. .. I had to go out and fix a fence that was about to get blown down. I've been through 10x worse in Northern Minnesota many times

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Damn it, and UPS lost my package at the Illinois hub where I live and somehow it ended up in Kansas...

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Gregodav

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Curious why you were on the road during this event
Super tall vehicles should get off the interstates and turnpike when gusts reach 50 mph. The Jeep isn't that tall.

Besides, I am a former weather spotter for a couple of Wichita Kansas radio stations.
Sponsored