Sponsored

Cutting Power To Ignition Coil without Cutting power to injectors.

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
Exactly what I want to do, just need to figure out how. The relay in the fuse box? If so which one. Thanks
I sold my jeep and have another on order so can't go pop the hood to take pictures or give exact advice.

My thought was to cut the + lead for each coil and put a separate relay for each cut + wire to connect or break the connection with the press of the button in the dash. A relay is really just a switch that turns on / off when power is put to it. So you run separate power to the switch in the dash and that single power flips all your relays on or off. I would use normally closed relays so that they only disconnect when you put power to them. That way the relays will prob last forever.
When my jeep come in in a couple months I could give better more exact advice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
Right on, I honestly hope it works out the way you want, would be cool to see. I admire your determination.

download (11).jpg
Thanks. Trying to do something to a jeep never done before except for in forza lol.

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
I sold my jeep and have another on order so can't go pop the hood to take pictures or give exact advice.

My thought was to cut the + lead for each coil and put a separate relay for each cut + wire to connect or break the connection with the press of the button in the dash. A relay is really just a switch that turns on / off when power is put to it. So you run separate power to the switch in the dash and that single power flips all your relays on or off. I would use normally closed relays so that they only disconnect when you put power to them. That way the relays will prob last forever.
When my jeep come in in a couple months I could give better more exact advice.
I get what you are saying. If that’s the only way that I can figure out I will probably take a simpler not as cool route. Thanks

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The only way to accomplish this would be to splice into the wiring for each coil with a relay and trigger it off of a switch. However, the engine will just die nearly immediately.

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
The only way to accomplish this would be to splice into the wiring for each coil with a relay and trigger it off of a switch. However, the engine will just die nearly immediately.
I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do that. It only needs to last for about 2-3 seconds then switch them back on.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I was hoping I wouldn’t have to do that. It only needs to last for about 2-3 seconds then switch them back on.
That’s a really long time for there to be no spark. Do you have a manual transmission?

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
That’s a really long time for there to be no spark. Do you have a manual transmission?
8 sp auto, even 1 second would be good if that would be better.

Toxiclows

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy’s jl
the injectors and the coild are always powered with the key on. by the ASd relay. . injectors and coils are fired individually by the PCM using a pulsed low side driver ( a ground ) all you need to do is cut into the power for the coils before it branches off to six and install your switch there. this will leave the injectors firing and allow you to do what ever you planned.
let me know if you need a wiring diagram .

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
the injectors and the coild are always powered with the key on. by the ASd relay. . injectors and coils are fired individually by the PCM using a pulsed low side driver ( a ground ) all you need to do is cut into the power for the coils before it branches off to six and install your switch there. this will leave the injectors firing and allow you to do what ever you planned.
let me know if you need a wiring diagram .
I appreciate the response. I decided against it because the sound that engine produced when there were no cats was unbearable so I scratched the project. I have catless down pipes on my jk and didn’t sound half as bad as the jl with the same exhaust setup.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I appreciate the response. I decided against it because the sound that engine produced when there were no cats was unbearable so I scratched the project. I have catless down pipes on my jk and didn’t sound half as bad as the jl with the same exhaust setup.
So now that the project is cancelled, can you describe what your goal was? I assume an old school flame thrower, but was it for show or self-defense?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
So now that the project is cancelled, can you describe what your goal was? I assume an old school flame thrower, but was it for show or self-defense?
You exactly right, for show. I’ve never seen anyone stupid enough to take a shot so I was like might as well. Use the hotlicks kit. After realizing the work involved with the 3.6 and the down pipes sounding like a tin can driving down the road, which made no sense with how my jk had the same setup and sounded completely different. The end goal was a 6-12” flame out the back of a frickin jeep.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
That would have been cool, kinda like this but on a JL.

With the riots from the past year, I always thought it might be helpful to run side pipes with ignitors and use a marine diverter unit to switch them on and off when needed. Kinda like a less lethal version of the South African flame thrower defense system.

Would cost a bunch to do right, but the shock and awe factor to a bunch of beta male, would-be-terrorists might be worth the price of admission....and it could save your life if you find yourself in a spot u can't climb out of.

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
That would have been cool, kinda like this but on a JL.

With the riots from the past year, I always thought it might be helpful to run side pipes with ignitors and use a marine diverter unit to switch them on and off when needed. Kinda like a less lethal version of the South African flame thrower defense system.

Would cost a bunch to do right, but the shock and awe factor to a bunch of beta male, would-be-terrorists might be worth the price of admission....and it could save your life if you find yourself in a spot u can't climb out of.
Very true, and yes it started getting a little out of my experience level which would mean more $$ to pay someone to do it right.
Maybe if I can find a 3.6 with no cats that sounds somewhat decent then I will take another crack at it, but until then I’m left with my beautiful quad tip custom exhaust with cats

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
So when there are motor or electronic issues later it'll be blamed on Jeep Quality and piece of shit motors are no good.

What the hell are people thinking?

OP
OP
ZackMill

ZackMill

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2019 JLU
So when there are motor or electronic issues later it'll be blamed on Jeep Quality and piece of shit motors are no good.

What the hell are people thinking?
I don’t quite understand.
Sponsored