Sponsored

Cut fender flares with stock plastic liner Re-installation?

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Hey guys,

I recently took apart my Sahara fenders and marker lights and put back on the cut top fender only. I’m waiting on my shipment from American Adventure Lab for the fender bracket and sequential lights.

Tbh I don’t want to purchase any other liner for the wheel well bc I just don’t care about the look that much but I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the stock plastic liner again after cutting their fenders?

I know there’s obviously some modification/cutting/drilling involved which I’m fine doing but was hoping to see if someone has done this and or has a video on it bc I can’t seem to find one anywhere.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I haven’t tried it myself. And I also prefer the look of the plastic inner fenders over the aftermarket options. On NR4x4 there’s a set of plastic oem style inner fenders that are designed for aftermarket fenders. I believe crown automotive makes them.

OP
OP
Sangiuolo11

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Qjoh5510 Thanks I’ll check those out as well but I’d prefer to find a way to just use the stock ones I got and spend the money towards something I actually want to buy lol

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
@Qjoh5510 Thanks I’ll check those out as well but I’d prefer to find a way to just use the stock ones I got and spend the money towards something I actually want to buy lol
I hear ya. I’d rather do the same. Post up if it works out. I’m interested to see how well it turns out.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey guys,

I recently took apart my Sahara fenders and marker lights and put back on the cut top fender only. I’m waiting on my shipment from American Adventure Lab for the fender bracket and sequential lights.

Tbh I don’t want to purchase any other liner for the wheel well bc I just don’t care about the look that much but I was wondering if anyone has tried to use the stock plastic liner again after cutting their fenders?

I know there’s obviously some modification/cutting/drilling involved which I’m fine doing but was hoping to see if someone has done this and or has a video on it bc I can’t seem to find one anywhere.
Check Waya life’s video on YouTube, he did exactly that a few month back, but with a Rugged Ridge high line fender kit. Which is pretty much the same as the AAL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sangiuolo11

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check Waya life’s video on YouTube, he did exactly that a few month back, but with a Rugged Ridge high line fender kit. Which is pretty much the same as the AAL.
thanks for this. I just checked that video out but I still have a problem.

When I took the fenders off to “cut” them I followed the Quadratec video for doing so and they had me completely drill through all 8 or 9 plastic rivets completely separating all of the plastic bottom and border from the painted top of the fender.

so I need a way to hold it in place farther in the wheel well vs on the outer piece of the fender.

unfortunately there might not be a great answer for that lol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
thanks for this. I just checked that video out but I still have a problem.

When I took the fenders off to “cut” them I followed the Quadratec video for doing so and they had me completely drill through all 8 or 9 plastic rivets completely separating all of the plastic bottom and border from the painted top of the fender.

so I need a way to hold it in place farther in the wheel well vs on the outer piece of the fender.

unfortunately there might not be a great answer for that lol
You can do it in the rear...but not the front. Time to get some aftermarket liners. :crying:

OP
OP
Sangiuolo11

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can do it in the rear...but not the front. Time to get some aftermarket liners. :crying:
I actually found a way to do it. I’ll post some pics later on today when it’s all done

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sangiuolo11

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Rubicon fenders but I'm sure the process is the same. This is what I did and kept as much as the stock liner as possible

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...our-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-1739#post-1109928
see you did what I saw after I had already compelled removed the fenders. You kept the plastic border attached on the painted fender all the way down the length which in part keeps the liner in tack... for anyone who hasn’t removed the plastic already completely this would be the way to do it

OP
OP
Sangiuolo11

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ChattVol @Qjoh5510 @quietpeen

so this isn’t gonna win any beauty contests but that’s also why I didn’t want to buy any after market ones. I just don’t care about the look of the inner liner that much to justify spending money on it.

that being said I made some cuts on it to trim it down. A few nuts and bolts and zip ties got the job done... here’s some pics.

I bolted it to the brackets in the middle that are still attached when you remove the fenders. And in the front and back I zip tied the bottom to the some holes already cut in the body frame.

I still have enough coverage as well as hand clearance room to connect the American Adventure Labs light plug and bracket when it comes in next week.

again not the prettiest but made the best out of what I had.

0C110B75-F5F6-4458-98A6-0F7AE2F1CFE0.jpeg

1F294580-D5F8-46E9-A0B4-29C2D7A4DDE3.jpeg

A50B24E1-2A7F-4891-8FE5-4DDF66ABE4C5.jpeg

94B2D97B-8315-436D-834E-DB89D585F2F2.jpeg

DA7B8BF2-0079-4099-A278-624142BACB7A.jpeg

0C385FB9-E0DC-4816-9E2A-47BBB4BE7D74.jpeg

OP
OP
Sangiuolo11

Sangiuolo11

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks pretty good for free...black cable ties would help. I opted for Amazon knockoff front liners that were $100.
ha yeah I had my black zip ties but they were just a bit too wide/thick for the holes and I didn’t feel like drilling them any wider for this project
Sponsored