Customer Service is Important. Jeep v. Bronco

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
https://carbuzz.com/news/jeep-ceos-response-to-ford-broncos-roof-problem-is-epic

Food for thought. Remember how companies like Toyota, Honda, etc. gained market share from the Big Three?

Let's face it. Unless the hinges start to peel and rust... and they can't figure out how to keep drains from pouring water into the passenger compartment... or... or...

Look. I love the Jeep, nice truck. But the quality could use some better leadership.
Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
https://carbuzz.com/news/jeep-ceos-response-to-ford-broncos-roof-problem-is-epic

Food for thought. Remember how companies like Toyota, Honda, etc. gained market share from the Big Three?

Let's face it. Unless the hinges start to peel and rust... and they can't figure out how to keep drains from pouring water into the passenger compartment... or... or...

Look. I love the Jeep, nice truck. But the quality could use some better leadership.

Just my opinion, but part of the problem is probably due to the many different owners of Jeep over the decades. This is a list of Jeep owners from Wiki:
  • 1944–1953: Willys-Overland
  • 1953–1964: Kaiser Jeep (calling themselves "Willys Motors")
  • 1964–1970: Kaiser Jeep
  • 1970–1987: AMC (w/ Renault controlling production in 1986)
  • 1987–1998: Chrysler Corporation
  • 1998–2007: Daimler Chrysler AG
  • 2007–2009: Chrysler LLC
  • 2009–2013: Chrysler Group LLC - Fiat Group Automobiles
  • 2014–2021: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
  • 2021–present: Stellantis
Imagine if Toyota or Honda or even Ford went through as many ownership changes? Imagine what their quality issues would be like? Jeep is like an orphan being shuttled from one foster parent to the next. Part of Jeep's problem for decades was that the brand was attached to bad parents, AMC/Chrysler, companies barely hanging on by a thread, or just plain bankrupt. And in addition known for absolutely horrendous quality. It was actually a good thing when the Germans (Daimler) took over in 1998, saving the Jeep brand. Ironically, the vehicle that went to war against the Germans was ultimately saved by them.

It's probably very hard to maintain consistent quality standards after going through so many owners with different business philosophies. And just from my recent experience buying a Jeep, aside from quality issues, many dealerships I've contacted seem to have given up on putting customers first. They seem like they just exist to please the dealership owners, not the customer. I always felt extremely valued dealing with Lexus. With Jeep dealers, I just feel like I'm annoying them all the time. Let's hope Jeep continues to improve over the years. It's thankfully still built in America, and with the 4xe, Jeep appears to be heading in the right direction and not taking the future sitting down. I think it will improve over time if Stellantis hangs on to the brand and forces a customer first philosophy on the dealerships. Which hasn't happened yet from my perspective.

All that said, I have a Wrangler on order and can't wait to get my first Jeep. I'm not expecting a Mercedes or Lexus experience, so my expectations are tempered. But as long as it's not dumping oil on the driveway I think I'll enjoy it.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
All that said, I have a Wrangler on order and can't wait to get my first Jeep. I'm not expecting a Mercedes or Lexus experience, so my expectations are tempered. But as long as it's not dumping oil on the driveway I think I'll enjoy it.
Preach it brother. Can I get an amen?

That is where it is now.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
  • 2014–2021: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
  • 2021–present: Stellantis
Did Stellantis buy out Fiat? I thought it was just a name change?

But yes, BMW treats me like GOLD from purchase to service!!! To Jeep I'm just another piece of trash bothering them.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Did Stellantis buy out Fiat? I thought it was just a name change?

But yes, BMW treats me like GOLD from purchase to service!!! To Jeep I'm just another piece of trash bothering them.
It was supposed to have been a “merger.” But the CEO of PSA is now running the show. Thankfully!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I read the article, but I’m not clear what the point of it is.

Is it that Ford Bronco quality sucks? Is it that Jeep doesn’t give a rat’s ass about quality? Is it that Jeep sales continue to hold despite crummy customer service? Is it that Jeep now has competition? Is it all of the above...?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My experience is that Jeep dealers are better to work with than Ford dealers (or ANY other dealers) and this especially becomes true when you start modifying the vehicle. Jeep dealers know that Jeeps get modified all the time. They're used to it. They've seen it for years. Ford, not so much. Ford dealers will lay an egg if you come in with aftermarket suspension and 37s and ask for a warranty repair on something.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was supposed to have been a “merger.” But the CEO of PSA is now running the show. Thankfully!
IDK!!! Combining Italian and French ownership sounds like a disaster!!!

The PSA Group (French pronunciation: [ɡʁup pe ɛs ɑ]), legally known as Peugeot S.A. (Peugeot Société Anonyme, trading as Groupe PSA; formerly known as PSA Peugeot Citroën from 1991 to 2016), was a French multinational automotive manufacturing company which produced automobiles and motorcycles under the Peugeot, Citroën, DS, Opel and Vauxhall brands.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
IDK!!! Combining Italian and French ownership sounds like a disaster!!!

The PSA Group (French pronunciation: [ɡʁup pe ɛs ɑ]), legally known as Peugeot S.A. (Peugeot Société Anonyme, trading as Groupe PSA; formerly known as PSA Peugeot Citroën from 1991 to 2016), was a French multinational automotive manufacturing company which produced automobiles and motorcycles under the Peugeot, Citroën, DS, Opel and Vauxhall brands.
Yes, the French and Italians are very creative but usually suck at keeping consistent quality.

Stellantis CEO, Carlos Tavares, is a Portuguese who came from Renault-Nissan to PSA circa 2015.

This is the list of his accomplishments so far:
  1. Turned PSA around within six months. It had Peugeot and Citroen making a profit in 6 months; growing sales within 12 months. Accomplishing the two simultaneously is unheard of
  2. Took over Opel and Vauxhall from GM. GM hadn’t been able to show a profit in 20 years; Tavares had them making a profit within 6 months
  3. Measurable quality and customer service of PSA brands have been going steadily up; at least in Europe
  4. Unlike Sergio Marchionne, who arrogantly brought Fiat back to N.A without a plan or due diligence, in 2015 Tavares put Larry Dominique in charge of studying the feasibility of bringing Peugeot back to N.A. Yet, despite all the time and effort PSA had already spent, after the merger Tavares decided NOT to bring Peugeot back
Carlos Tavares is considered the best automotive CEO today, period. His decision to forfeit bringing PSA back to N.A., and give Chrysler and Dodge 10 years to rebuild, shows a level of pragmatism that is rare in automotive.

He will have his work cut out for him trying to improve Jeep product quality and dealer service. His first test will be selling $100,000+ Jeep Wagoneers with a dealer network better suited for peddling oriental rugs.

Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
I really only care about customer service when it comes to warranty issues. I've owned more luxury cars and their customer service was excellent (BMW, Lexus for example) while the warranty issues were often a pain just like any other company and dealership. Customer service gives you that phony feel good when all of these businesses are out for the dollar and their own personal interest. You'll be fooled if you think any of these big companies are any different.

Deleted member 59498

Corporate Jeep I only had a few dealings with my JK they were OK with me. But I always find the dealerships are were the problem is, from their uninformed salesmen to their uninformed service departments. Poor service, lacking in giving any information, ignoring request for service. I will tell you what when I had 4Runner, Toyota service was amazing. It could be training or maybe just a really good Shop Manager. But they made sure every single complaint or question was answered before you left. They had good coffee also.

My rear window leaks, I was like hey while you are changing the oil and such I would like that looked into. This was a request I put on the appointment a month before and after they changed the oil..."Oh sorry we didn't get time to look at it." What kind of service is that?

Can I get my unlock code for radio like other people? Nope. They don't understand.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Peugeot, a paragon of quality (sarcasm), now owns all of the Fiat brands. Ferrari is a separate Dutch company which was separated before the takeover by Peugeot.

I believe that if Ford or GM had wound up buying Jeep, a Wrangler would not exist as it does today. I am still concerned about it's future, as I don't believe that the current left over Chrysler structure can justify all of it's branding and budgets.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Peugeot, a paragon of quality (sarcasm), now owns all of the Fiat brands. Ferrari is a separate Dutch company which was separated before the takeover by Peugeot.

I believe that if Ford or GM had wound up buying Jeep, a Wrangler would not exist as it does today. I am still concerned about it's future, as I don't believe that the current left over Chrysler structure can justify all of it's branding and budgets.
That is indeed the big question.

Having said that, Tavares appears sincere in giving Chrysler and Dodge every chance to get back on their feet.

Citroen, Lancia and Vauxhall are in a similar situation, BTW.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really only care about customer service when it comes to warranty issues. I've owned more luxury cars and their customer service was excellent (BMW, Lexus for example) while the warranty issues were often a pain just like any other company and dealership. Customer service gives you that phony feel good when all of these businesses are out for the dollar and their own personal interest. You'll be fooled if you think any of these big companies are any different.
I'll have to heavily disagree! Luxury brands are 100% better with fixes and warranty claims than Jeep!!! Yes they are all out to make money but kindness if free to give. Dealerships also put their best people at luxury brands and pay them better.

Porsche or BMW would have solved many of Jeep's lingering design / functionality problems LONG ago!

Example, years ago the engine in my brand new Porsche Boxster was making an odd noise. My local dealership couldn't diagnose the problem. Porsche sent an engineer from Germany who discovered in was a fuel piston plunger out of spec. They machined a new part and sent it over night. The whole repair took less than 5 business days. No way in hell would I count on Jeep to do that!!!
Sponsored