JL_CSN_U75-8.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DanW

5w30 Pennzoil Full Synthetic .... Makes me chuckle.

Notice the oil filter style... and drain plug location... Oh my......... well, at least it's 5 quarts like the 3.6L and not 6.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

Notice the oil filter style... and drain plug location... Oh my......... well, at least it's 5 quarts like the 3.6L and not 6.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised at the drain plug location. Is that panel a skid plate, or just a plastic cover? Dexos 2 would also cover this issue, but no way FCA is going to plug for a GM certified oil in their engines. God forbid it would be a Mobil 1 product. Lol!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
@DanW

Why the chuckle?

Also, whats wrong with the drain plug location?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DanW

First 2.0, I come across I will be eyeballing... Not sure whether skid or what. but... looks like plastic to me.

I prefer the oil filter up top versus down under also. I like the paper cartridge filter and it's location in regard to the JK and JL.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yeah, I'm a little surprised at the drain plug location. Is that panel a skid plate, or just a plastic cover? Dexos 2 would also cover this issue, but no way FCA is going to plug for a GM certified oil in their engines. God forbid it would be a Mobil 1 product. Lol!
The pictures are of a cherokee. That pan cover is probably not on the wrangler.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, 2.0 owners, don't fret. This is exactly the engine that API's SN-+ and GM's Dexos 2 was designed to cover. It will run fine with those oils and should not experience the detonation. This is a very high performance engine and this is what I've talked about in other threads where the chemical engineering of oil is very advanced and is continually improved as engine technology and requirements, including higher fuel economy, are changed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeepsterfreak

I avoid oil related comments / threads. I'll just chuckle and leave it at that. Perhaps @DanW will expound on what he said in his post.

Drain plug location. Not my problem, but I do not like it in comparison to the JK or JL 3.6L location of that plug. And if there is an access cover plate that you have to remove and a plate with cover hole (the cover fastens to) that may get crapola in and...... Jury is out til I actually see a 2.0's..

Don't take any of my comments to heart, and think I am laughing or dissing the 2.0 as I am not.......

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
@Jeepsterfreak

I avoid oil related comments / threads. I'll just chuckle and leave it at that. Perhaps @DanW will expound on what he said in his post.

Drain plug location. Not my problem, but I do not like it in comparison to the JK or JL 3.6L location of that plug. And if there is an access cover plate that you have to remove and a plate with cover hole (the cover fastens to) that may get crapola in and...... Jury is out til I actually see a 2.0's..

Don't take any of my comments to heart, and think I am laughing or dissing the 2.0 as I am not.......
I thought FCA was in bed with Pennzoil as being the factory fill.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought FCA was in bed with Pennzoil as being the factory fill.
They are. I think they just had the previous SN formulated factory fill and not the SN+. Easy mistake to make, and SN+ has only been out a short while. I'll try to explain why SN+ and why the issue, later. I'm using my phone and working late, so no time to go to that detail. The SN+ should cure it, though.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here ya go...From Pennzoil.com. Also, GM's Dexos 1 Gen 2 specification addresses this, as well, so an oil with that designation should solve the problem, too. Italics are in place of quotes...
  • The API SN PLUS motor oil specification is intended to complement API SN and ILSAC GF-5 and aimed at addressing the increasing impact of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (TGDI) engines.
  • The high pressures from turbocharging combined with direct fuel injection into the combustion chamber in these smaller TGDI engines makes them susceptible to a phenomenon known as Low Speed Pre-Ignition, or LSPI. While the mechanism of LSPI is not yet fully understood, research has shown that motor oil properties may be a contributing factor. Automakers can mitigate LSPI by adjusting the engine operating conditions, but in doing so inhibit some high efficiency engine operating conditions.
  • Amid growing concerns about LSPI among Automakers, the urgent need for a supplemental motor oil specification became evident. This new supplemental specification, known as API SN PLUS, includes the testing protocol for API SN and a special test for LSPI, the API Sequence IX test.
Don't rush to blame FCA on this one. It very well could be SOPUS (Shell/Pennzoil) that screwed up by sending the wrong oil, or even a mix up at a distributor. The supply chain is a very complicated ballet that can be compromised by something like this...a brand new oil spec hitting the market at about the same time a brand new engine with new tech hits the market. I wonder if the delay in the 2.o was not as much due to that fire issue as much as availability of SN+ oil, or a combination of both? Who knows? Anyway, the solution is as close as your local Wal Mart's oil shelf, or your dealership. I'd go with Wal Mart because I'd bet some dealership tech's know very little about this new oil spec and why it is necessary.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Will this in any way help reduce valve carbon build up on direct injection motors?

I’m typically a Mobile 1 guy and currently running 0W-20 AFE in my Honda. Website claims it meets or exceeds SN Plus.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Will this in any way help reduce valve carbon build up on direct injection motors?

I’m typically a Mobile 1 guy and currently running 0W-20 AFE in my Honda. Website claims it meets or exceeds SN Plus.
No, but they may have designed this engine not to have an issue with that, in the first place, but I don't know for sure. What it does is stop a pre-ignition condition that is unique to engines that are direct injected AND turbocharged.

I wouldn't worry to much about that carbon build up. I've got a gen 1 Ecoboost in my van and it has never been an issue. I've run Mobil 1, but I don't think oil or gas really gets on those valves, so if there is carbon buildup, it isn't bothering them. That Ecoboost pulls as hard with high mileage as when new. I do suspect FCA has designed the 2.0 to be resistant to issues like that. They tested those engines ALOT.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Dealer today put in 6 quarts of ow20
Sponsored