Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
First of all I would like to Thank all of my customers this year, it is truly appreciated. I would like to offer additional custom leather accessories that you would find useful. So, if you have any ideas please feel free to share them.
A couple of items in the works right now are:
  • JL custom Yeti holsters (I will be posting these in a day or two) .. and yes, I will offer green stitching for the Mojito's
  • Hard molded leather pouches that mount to the front sides of the center console (similar mounting to the JL gun holsters) These can hold sunglasses, Altoids tins (may offer an EDC version), flashlight, etc.….brass knuckles if you got them, (these are in early development now)
  • Potentially some hard molded leather bags to mount on the tail gate or Molle strapped to back of seats
If you have any other thoughts (if it is useful to you, it will be useful for someone else as well) .. post them up or send me a PM
Again everyone … huge Thanks and Merry Christmas
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Marc:

Best wishes for the holidays. Like many of us I own and appreciate your products.

In addition to my recent suggestion to make your version of stirrups, this idea came to mind.

It's inspired by weight lifter's straps: which help them manage weight their muscles, if not their fingers can handle:

weightliftingstraps.jpg

I was thinking you could make something in leather, whose loose ends connect to the Sports Bar, and provide an opening to stick a hand in to brace a passenger's rough ride on the trail.

As a native NYer it sought of reminds me of the subway straps of my parent's generation, made out of leather, that for the better part of 30+ years have been replaced with metal.

As a passenger, grip on conventional straps tends, I think, to loosen as fear of a bump lowers and muscle fatigue rises with the passage of trail time since the last bumpy encounter. Sticking your hand in provides the grip you need in an instant before your brain's fear transmits to fingers' grip as you pass over a mogul.

If I think of other applications of your leather works I'll let you know.

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Marc:

Best wishes for the holidays. Like many of us I own and appreciate your products.

In addition to my recent suggestion to make your version of stirrups, this idea came to mind.

It's inspired by weight lifter's straps: which help them manage weight their muscles, if not their fingers can handle:

weightliftingstraps.jpg

I was thinking you could make something in leather, whose loose ends connect to the Sports Bar, and provide an opening to stick a hand in to brace a passenger's rough ride on the trail.

As a native NYer it sought of reminds me of the subway straps of my parent's generation, made out of leather, that for the better part of 30+ years have been replaced with metal.

As a passenger, grip on conventional straps tends, I think, to loosen as fear of a bump lowers and muscle fatigue rises with the passage of trail time since the last bumpy encounter. Sticking your hand in provides the grip you need in an instant before your brain's fear transmits to fingers' grip as you pass over a mogul.

If I think of other applications of your leather works I'll let you know.
Thanks for the thought and suggestion. While I completely understand where you are coming from, I may have to look into any potential liability with something like this incase of an accident or market it as something different

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Thanks for the thought and suggestion. While I completely understand where you are coming from, I may have to look into any potential liability with something like this incase of an accident or market it as something different
Brilliant minds think alike. I was tempted to suggest that some part of it be made of elastic to promote emergency egress in the event of collision or rollover, etc.

It's funny how you and I have to design with one eye on product worth, and another on case law.

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Brilliant minds think alike. I was tempted to suggest that some part of it be made of elastic to promote emergency egress in the event of collision or rollover, etc.

It's funny how you and I have to design with one eye on product worth, and another on case law.
Liability is always a concern unfortunately. There is definitely both an art and a science to designing and building.
For example, you would be amazed at how many requests I get for "soft sided" holsters and I have to turn them all down and explain to them the liability involved with negligent discharge due to the "soft" leather balling up inside the trigger guard while reholstering

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Liability is always a concern unfortunately. There is definitely both an art and a science to designing and building.
For example, you would be amazed at how many requests I get for "soft sided" holsters and I have to turn them all down and explain to them the liability involved with negligent discharge due to the "soft" leather balling up inside the trigger guard while reholstering

I hear ya. Firearms are exempt from many product safety regulations. Their holsters...not so much.

kinneyb

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Bright White, 3.6L
First of all I would like to Thank all of my customers this year, it is truly appreciated. I would like to offer additional custom leather accessories that you would find useful. So, if you have any ideas please feel free to share them.
  • JL custom Yeti holsters (I will be posting these in a day or two) .. and yes, I will offer green stitching for the Mojito's
  • Hard molded leather pouches that mount to the front sides of the center console (similar mounting to the JL gun holsters) These can hold sunglasses, Altoids tins (may offer an EDC version), flashlight, etc.….brass knuckles if you got them, (these are in early development now)
  • Potentially some hard molded leather bags to mount on the tail gate or Molle strapped to back of seats
If you have any other thoughts (if it is useful to you, it will be useful for someone else as well) .. post them up or send me a PM
I would be interested in all of the above! I just received my FOB holsters and they are great! Beautiful craftsmanship! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. Merry Christmas to you as well!

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I think if you could create a leather holder for the Jeep toolkit - I’d certainly get a couple

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
I think if you could create a leather holder for the Jeep toolkit - I’d certainly get a couple
I can certainly look into that … good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.