Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Hitting the dunes with fox 2.0's... I had those shocks and wouldn't hit a speed bump fast with them lol. Might want to look into a axle truss, some good shocks, hydro bumps as well once you have all that damage sorted. And toss the rezeppa front driveshaft.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
FYI part failure OffRoad is covered, probably not this as it does look you slammed that into the sand pretty hard from a jump, or going over a dune and high pointing at speed...

I blew out my front displacement when I used too much skinny petal in 4low trying to pull my rear axle off a rock.. warranty covered it.

niw many but not all insurance carriers cover Offroad damage. I know Geico doesnā€™t but I have Mercury and they do cover me Offroad.

good luck man
What? I think autocorrect didn't do you any favors here.

Sponsored

andyldavis

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Retired Electronic Service Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Judging by the broken shock seals. I would say you bottomed out pretty hard.

Which means you did land from a certain height. Whether you jumped or not I don't know.
But I do know that there are a lot of opportunities to land pretty hard when you are playing around in the dunes, and these Jeeps are not designed to be jumped like Raptors.
Raptors aren't designed to be jumped like Jeeps.

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is it possible that the shocks bottomed before the axel bumps? The picture seems to show this, the axel bump extensions don't appear to have taken a big hit and the shocks appear to have been compressed beyond the shock bump and contact between the bottom of the shock body and lower mount was severe, evidenced by the popped shock caps and the ring with no dirt on the cap. The axel side shock mounts are about 4" back from the axel which contributes to increased pressure on the upper control arms. If the shocks hit first, momentum, combined with impact shock and the leverage at the shock mount could have caused the axel to twist the front of the axel up and the back side down, bending the UCAs. Using shocks designed for a higher lift could cause this.

Sorry man, this is not an inexpensive repair.

PSA: Not necessarily intended for OP.
No matter what lift is chosen, it is important to verify clearances. With the chassis supported, pull the coil springs and jack the axel all the way to full bump compression being careful to not lift the jeep off the stands, verifying appropriate clearances.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Looking at the pics, it looks simply like axle wrap. I'm betting OP pressed the go pedal while in reverse, tires grabbed and wrapped the axle. That would explain the massive bend on the uppers and in turn greatly exceeding the pinion angle and then breaking the driveshaft if my thinking is correct.

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Looking at the pics, it looks simply like axle wrap. I'm betting OP pressed the go pedal while in reverse, tires grabbed and wrapped the axle. That would explain the massive bend on the uppers and in turn greatly exceeding the pinion angle and then breaking the driveshaft if my thinking is correct.
Maybe but how would you explain the shock caps? Rolling the axel adds front shock clearance as does acceleration. Add to that the limited horsepower. I spun two rear diffs on my old K5 before swapping to a 14 bolt but that was on pavement with a 454.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Maybe but how would you explain the shock caps? Rolling the axel adds front shock clearance as does acceleration. Add to that the limited horsepower. I spun two rear diffs on my old K5 before swapping to a 14 bolt but that was on pavement with a 454.
In reverse, he wrapped the spring right into the shock when the uppers bent damaging the body and seal.

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Did you watch the video posted by the OP?
I did. And? The video stops before he puts it in reverse. I said I think it happened while in reverse. OP said himself he reversed and that's when he heard the noise. The picture clearly shows the shock hitting the spring meaning the axle is wrapped backwards.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I did. And? The video stops before he puts it in reverse. I said I think it happened while in reverse. OP said himself he reversed and that's when he heard the noise. The picture clearly shows the shock hitting the spring meaning the axle is wrapped backwards.
I think its pretty obvious what happened and video pretty much confirms it. Not sure why most of the other posters keep insisting the OP jumped his jeep. Its not like he was gentle with it and his damage is under warranty.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
when i see that much wheelspin, i'm not surprised things are breaking.
this hillclimb was lost long before the video ended.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Reverse would have the upper links in tension, and to get them to bend like that would need some serious compression... far more than I think the engine alone could deliver.

My guess is that we haven't heard the whole story. Was the Jeep run into a curb or anything else that stopped the vehicle abruptly? I could see how that would bend the upper control arms, by pivoting the axle around the front lower control arm mount. You might not notice the damage due to the way the front axle disconnects, and no real issues would be apparent until 4WD and lots of throttle... with the driveshaft that doesn't turn in 2WD now at a much more extreme angle. I think the video we saw was just finishing-off the damage that was done earlier.
Sponsored