Curvature of Upper Control Arms and Front Axle

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Reverse would have the upper links in tension, and to get them to bend like that would need some serious compression... far more than I think the engine alone could deliver.

My guess is that we haven't heard the whole story. Was the Jeep run into a curb or anything else that stopped the vehicle abruptly? I could see how that would bend the upper control arms, by pivoting the axle around the front lower control arm mount. You might not notice the damage due to the way the front axle disconnects, and no real issues would be apparent until 4WD and lots of throttle... with the driveshaft that doesn't turn in 2WD now at a much more extreme angle. I think the video we saw was just finishing-off the damage that was done earlier.
You are correct about the upper links. So maybe he wrapped it and bent the uppers going up the hill and then snapped the driveshaft when he tried putting it in reverse. Seeing the wheelspin in the vid and the bouncing makes me think this is a possible scenario.
Goes up hill full throttle, vehicle bounces and spins tires, comes down under full throttle and tires bite, wraps axle bending uppers, pinion angle is now fubared, places Jeep in reverse, snaps driveshaft, makes noise. How'd I do?! :LOL:
Sponsored