Sponsored

Currie Tow Plate - 392 Rubicon Fitment - Bumper Height?

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
I have a 392 on order and need to get my flat towing setup in hand before the Jeep arrives. My current plan is to use the Currie tow plate (CE-9033JLS). Can anyone think of any reason why it might not work for the 392 Jeep? Seems like the bumper and all mount points should be the same for models with steel bumper?

Also, for those that have this - what is the height of the pins from the ground and what is your configuration (Lift/Tire Size)?

Finally, has anyone had a problem with clearance off-roading with these?
Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Mine are a bit more than 21 1/2 at center. JLUR Diesel on 2" Mopar lift and 37 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. No problem so far off-road at Windrock or Hidden Falls. Be careful what winch plate you choose.
Jeep Wrangler JL Currie Tow Plate - 392 Rubicon Fitment - Bumper Height? 20211127_094835

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
I have a 392 on order and need to get my flat towing setup in hand before the Jeep arrives. My current plan is to use the Currie tow plate (CE-9033JLS). Can anyone think of any reason why it might not work for the 392 Jeep? Seems like the bumper and all mount points should be the same for models with steel bumper?

Also, for those that have this - what is the height of the pins from the ground and what is your configuration (Lift/Tire Size)?

Finally, has anyone had a problem with clearance off-roading with these?
The Maximus 3 Tow loops are the way to go. Easy install. Roadmaster and Blue Ox both make D ring adapters for their tow bars.

maxxis 3 two.jpg

Roadmaster-D-Ring-Adapter-035.jpg

OP
OP

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
Mine are a bit more than 21 1/2 at center. JLUR Diesel on 2" Mopar lift and 37 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
Thanks. I imagine I'll be very close to that then. 2 1/2" lift and 35 inch tires.

No problem so far off-road at Windrock or Hidden Falls. Be careful what winch plate you choose.
Great that there are no issues yet. Are those 1/2" Hitch pins?

I understand the winch plate issues. I know Rusty's will work. What are you using?

OP
OP

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
The Maximus 3 Tow loops are the way to go. Easy install. Roadmaster and Blue Ox both make D ring adapters for their tow bars.
Thanks for the info on the Maximus 3 tow loops. I see they bring the added benefit of acting like a beefier frame tie in as well. I think the Currie will be less likely to get bent, even if bending the Maximus will take some effort. Also the Currie slot, as far as I can tell, will fit the tab on my Demco tow bar without having to but more parts. The Currie also looks to act as an upgraded front bash plate from what I can see.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
I have another question for those with the Currie. Does the tab for the tow bar that inserts into base plate rotate up (say pointing straight up) without hitting the skid plate under it?

OP
OP

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
The currie tab rotates up and down freely. Demco tab does not work - too fat and too long. Demco blue ox adapter needs some grinding to work (reduce the radius on the outer tabs) and it still does not rotate down 90 degrees without grinding on the bumper. I just went with the Curie tabs.

The 392 XR the center of the pin holes is at about 19".
Sponsored