Currie 70s for 392 now available

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Their bearing solution looks pretty awesome. I wouldn't hesitate running these in a DD. I'm a Dynatrac fanboy but these look like the best JL axles on the market.

Ran a HPProRock60 for years in the rear of my in DD.
Sponsored

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, CJ7 6.6L, Fusion Trophy Truck
I’m of the opinion that Dana UD60s are the best plug and play option for the JLs out there. Had I known what I know now when I ordered axles I would not have bought my Dynatracs. No experience with Currie but I don’t think a HP rear axle belongs on anything except a dedicated trail rig.
One limitation with the UD60's is they are available in one width only (68.5")
I would want wider axles for running 40's if that's the plan.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
One limitation with the UD60's is they are available in one width only (68.5")
I would want wider axles for running 40's if that's the plan.
Not too much of a problem if you have the correct backspacing. I’ve got 68.5” XD60s under the 392 and am running KMC beadlocks with 3.5” BS. No rubbing at the moment, still need to flex it out and tie up about 99 other things before it’s ready for serious trail use. Progress is slow but steady, especially since I’m doing this mostly myself aside from a few friends who helped with the physical swap.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not too much of a problem if you have the correct backspacing. I’ve got 68.5” XD60s under the 392 and am running KMC beadlocks with 3.5” BS. No rubbing at the moment, still need to flex it out and tie up about 99 other things before it’s ready for serious trail use. Progress is slow but steady, especially since I’m doing this mostly myself aside from a few friends who helped with the physical swap.
Sounds Nice! Were the XD60's plug and play with OEM wheel speed sensors, etc.? Did you shut off the full time 4wd with Tazer? I don't think you can go wrong with Dynatrac. What tire (tire size) are you running? Are you running ram-assist?

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Sounds Nice! Were the XD60's plug and play with OEM wheel speed sensors, etc.? Did you shut off the full time 4wd with Tazer? I don't think you can go wrong with Dynatrac. What tire (tire size) are you running? Are you running ram-assist?
I like the axles themselves so far but I had to source my own locker harnesses, steering ram skid plate and waited 2 weeks for the correct tie rod and drag link. It’s been an ordeal to say the least. Only thing in the crate was the axles and a tie rod/drag link for a 72.5” setup.

I just got it driving yesterday, still have a mountain of codes and dash lights to work through. The axles are “plug and play” but I currently have ESC codes, ABS and Parking Brake codes, Vehicle Speed Sensor codes, etc. I’m re-installing the front driveshaft tomorrow and will run it around some in AWD to see if that kills some of the codes.

For the short drive yesterday and today I ran in Force RWD mode with the front hubs unlocked. Running 40” Cooper STT Pros, 5.38 gears. I’m installing the Apex Steering Boost kit later this week. Will probably have West Texas Offroad port my factory steering box later this year. Still have a lot of punch list items and fine tuning to do before I drive it on any trips. But for now it moves and I’m pretty happy with that. Check out my build thread for more info.

Jeep Wrangler JL Currie 70s for 392 now available 01A51300-30C1-44CC-ABCA-F45FD362EA80

Last edited:

Sponsored

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I just got it driving yesterday, still have a mountain of codes and dash lights to work through. The axles are “plug and play” but I currently have ESC codes, ABS and Parking Brake codes, Vehicle Speed Sensor codes, etc. I’m re-installing the front driveshaft tomorrow and will run it around some in AWD to see if that kills some of the codes.
Nice!

You might want to check your steering angle make sure its zero. You get a ton of codes with just that off. Once thats fixed I had about 6 codes including ABS, ESC etc all go.

Plus re: Wider axles vs backspace.. scrub radius is the magic words.. Too much and you will get problems with steering and stability.. Hence wider axles are better in that respect that just dropping backspace. At least thats my understanding.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
If you like a decent scrub radius, UD 60’s are out. The more I learn about them, the more I don‘t want the Dana’s. I already emailed Currie regarding the rear high pinion, their reply is in the pic. The other bummer with the Currie’s is they on use 3/16” for the brackets when everyone else uses 1/4”. For being 5k higher than any of their competitors, I think those 2 items are going to be a deal breaker to me. Which is a bummer, I really wanted to run them. Fusion is currently at the top of my list.

Jeep Wrangler JL Currie 70s for 392 now available ABE9643A-2024-40E1-B5F8-22D8E1689EE0

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you like a decent scrub radius, UD 60’s are out. The more I learn about them, the more I don‘t want the Dana’s. I already emailed Currie regarding the rear high pinion, their reply is in the pic. The other bummer with the Currie’s is they on use 3/16” for the brackets when everyone else uses 1/4”. For being 5k higher than any of their competitors, I think those 2 items are going to be a deal breaker to me. Which is a bummer, I really wanted to run them. Fusion is currently at the top of my list.

Jeep Wrangler JL Currie 70s for 392 now available ABE9643A-2024-40E1-B5F8-22D8E1689EE0
I see the Currie front axle assembly comes with RCV CV shafts as standard equipment which is a $2600 upgrade over u-joint shafts offered in the Spicer, Dynatrac and Fusion axle assemblies.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Nice!

You might want to check your steering angle make sure its zero. You get a ton of codes with just that off. Once thats fixed I had about 6 codes including ABS, ESC etc all go.

Plus re: Wider axles vs backspace.. scrub radius is the magic words.. Too much and you will get problems with steering and stability.. Hence wider axles are better in that respect that just dropping backspace. At least thats my understanding.
I wanted 72.5” Dynatracs but didn’t want to wait 6+ months for a set of them. Found this set in stock and pulled the trigger. Don’t think I’ll have too much issue with steering but I’ll keep everyone informed. And yeah I reset my steering yesterday and still have codes. Gonna try running it in AWD to see if that helps. Could be tripping up the VSS sensors on the transfer case by not having the hubs locked/front driveshaft in.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does Dynatrac still build their XD60 axle assemblies with the cast aluminum 1550 knuckles? Their web-site has a recall notice for aluminum knuckle failure on "Some" of their XD60 axles.

I wanted the XD60 Dynatrac axle for a JKU/LS3 build I had planned 5 years ago but never moved forward with Dynatrac because of the cast aluminum knuckles design.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I see the Currie front axle assembly comes with RCV CV shafts as standard equipment which is a $2600 upgrade over u-joint shafts offered in the Spicer, Dynatrac and Fusion axle assemblies.
Good point, that makes up some of the cost difference. Minus the savings of not buying the U joint chromos…

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Does Dynatrac still build their XD60 axle assemblies with the cast aluminum 1550 knuckles? Their web-site has a recall notice for aluminum knuckle failure on "Some" of their XD60 axles.

I wanted the XD60 Dynatrac axle for a JKU/LS3 build I had planned 5 years ago but never moved forward with Dynatrac because of the cast aluminum knuckles design.
Funny you mention this. They switched to iron knuckles, not sure when. But all current production XD60s have iron knuckles. I bought my set of axles from Top Tier Suspension…”These came in a few weeks ago.” Turns out my axles were made in August 2019, so they have the aluminum knuckles. I let Dynatrac know and they were quick to ship me replacement iron knuckles with new balljoints. I installed the axles as-is, I plan on swapping knuckles in ~30K or so miles when I repack wheel bearings or before that if they crack. Not too worried about it.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny you mention this. They switched to iron knuckles, not sure when. But all current production XD60s have iron knuckles. I bought my set of axles from Top Tier Suspension…”These came in a few weeks ago.” Turns out my axles were made in August 2019, so they have the aluminum knuckles. I let Dynatrac know and they were quick to ship me replacement iron knuckles with new balljoints. I installed the axles as-is, I plan on swapping knuckles in ~30K or so miles when I repack wheel bearings or before that if they crack. Not too worried about it.
Good to know they went to the cast iron knuckles and sent you the replacements. You'll be fine with the aluminum knuckles at least for a while.
Looks like the tie-rod mounting ear is the point of failure on the cast aluminum pieces.
Sponsored