Sponsored

Current MPG and Electric vs. Gas

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Almost 2k in on my Sahara 4xe. My commute is 32 miles round trip. I arrive at work with about 40% left. I have a charger available at work that I top off with on most days. The ride is so much better than my 2019 Sahara. From steering to road feel, tight and plush. On fun days I find a charger if possible along my stops. If a charger is not available along the route, I roll with IC. Have not put gas in it since 8/13. With my electric rates a full charges costs me $1.70. free at work! Very happy so far, especially the $370 lease payment.

IMG_20211001_125138966_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Happy you are enjoying! If you are going that long before filling up I’d just make sure to put in quality gas. Any name brand or top tier that’s used often. Non ethanol if you can find it.

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
Theoretical question, If you are in stop and go traffic for 40 miles with max regen on, would you get 40 miles of electric battery mileage since it regenerates as you are stopping?

OP
OP
Tygerman76

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Theoretical question, If you are in stop and go traffic for 40 miles with max regen on, would you get 40 miles of electric battery mileage since it regenerates as you are stopping?
I don't think so. I think 28 miles is the max. It does not seem to impact.my commute either way of I choose max Regen or just leave it in hybrid. My commute is 50/50 at 50 mph back roads and 45 mpg.stop and go.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Theoretically no since any regen doesn't recover the full amount accelerated.

Sponsored

BDoerr54

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4Xe, 2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-e
Jeep Wrangler JL Current MPG and Electric vs. Gas Dash

Here's what I was at before my first fill up of my 4Xe. My daily commute is 35 miles each way and I can charge in my office park.

OP
OP
Tygerman76

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally filled up yesterday. Put in 14.4 gallons on 1859.2 total miles of gasoline driving. On 22 mpg average with gas, I would have bought 84.5 gallons at about $3 a gallon for $253. I get 28 miles on a charge, so 66.4 charges at $1.70 a charge for $112 total. A $141 savings before you factor in that I charge for free at work at least 35% of the time. That brings it to about $74 in electric and a savings of $179.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like a 4xe, but I'm holding out hoping in the next year or so they upgrade the battery range. We are installing solar on the house, so charging will be free :P

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I'd like a 4xe, but I'm holding out hoping in the next year or so they upgrade the battery range. We are installing solar on the house, so charging will be free :P
EV range in cars is not increasing as fast as everyone hoped it would. I wouldn't be too confident that there will be a big leap anytime soon.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
EV range in cars is not increasing as fast as everyone hoped it would. I wouldn't be too confident that there will be a big leap anytime soon.
Agreed, not looking for a like 300 miles, but 21 is too low for my real usage and interest. Get me 40+ and that changes. My commute is roughly 18-19 miles one way, when I can do my daily commute on battery I'd be good.

au1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe, BMW X1
Occupation
Chickens
1k miles and just filled up. My average is right at 36 but we did about 120 in the mountains where the IC kicked in a good bit.

Quick question…when filling up, the pump cut off. A lot. Like I had to hold the handle of the pump. Is there a trick to getting the pump to ”seat” well in the 4xe?

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1k miles and just filled up. My average is right at 36 but we did about 120 in the mountains where the IC kicked in a good bit.

Quick question…when filling up, the pump cut off. A lot. Like I had to hold the handle of the pump. Is there a trick to getting the pump to ”seat” well in the 4xe?
Unless it's different than the standard wranglers, it's more of a specific pump issue, but typically, I just pull the nozzle out a bit and that helps. Only a couple times have a had a pump that apparently pumped too fast no matter what, and had to hold it the whole time.

Also notice it tends to be more of an issue in colder weather, which isn't often down here.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Almost 2k in on my Sahara 4xe. My commute is 32 miles round trip. I arrive at work with about 40% left. I have a charger available at work that I top off with on most days. The ride is so much better than my 2019 Sahara. From steering to road feel, tight and plush. On fun days I find a charger if possible along my stops. If a charger is not available along the route, I roll with IC. Have not put gas in it since 8/13. With my electric rates a full charges costs me $1.70. free at work! Very happy so far, especially the $370 lease payment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Current MPG and Electric vs. Gas Dash
Yes, the "free" charging you can do at work is where your savings will be. At home you're paying for the electricity, which in terms of cost per mile is identical to the cost of filling the gasoline tank. No savings there.

The 4xe needs a "cost per mile" meter instead of a MPG meter, because too many people are forgetting that NO energy source is free, and gasoline doesn't necessarily cost more.

Krones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Yes, the "free" charging you can do at work is where your savings will be. At home you're paying for the electricity, which in terms of cost per mile is identical to the cost of filling the gasoline tank. No savings there.

The 4xe needs a "cost per mile" meter instead of a MPG meter, because too many people are forgetting that NO energy source is free, and gasoline doesn't necessarily cost more.
There's definitely a break even point, but I'd venture that in most states the cost of gas is high enough right now that charging at home isn't identical to filling the tank on a per mile basis. I wouldn't put too much trust in my own math, but when I worked the numbers a while back, gas would need to be about $1.25/gal before it was cheaper not to charge at home. I think I paid $3.79 the when I filled up the other day.
Sponsored

Last edited: