• Total voters

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Just curious how everyone is doing on mpg. I know this will likely be all over the place since we all drive differently whether is be heavy feet or conditions etc. I am seeing right around 15mpg, which is actually the same for me as I was seeing on my 2door JK (3.6). I do not drive many long distances (I had my JK 5 1/2 years and traded it in right at 40k) though but it is my daily driver so it is a lot of short distances. So I am just pleasantly surprised I didn’t really lose any efficiency going to a 4door.
Sponsored

JeepgirlJL2018white

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
I bought my JL April 29th, gas was 15 to 17. After a few weeks I was 19 all the time to 19.5. When I drive this whole week with top off and doors off the gas has be sent at 21 to 22. I'm shocked, but I'm getting 22. I also drive slower with a jeep 5 to 10 over speed limit :) maybe I'm just a grandma (jk) and that is why it so high.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I hand calculate and log my mileage with Fuelly.com. This JL is still stock right now, but it's one of the most fuel efficient vehicles I've ever owned. My first hand calc'd tank was 20.9 MPG. Right now the dash is showing 21.7 MPG and I'm below a half tank again.

BTW...my dash display is within 0.1 MPG of my hand calculations. It's amazingly accurate.

I do a 50/50 split of city/highway so I'm seeing about +1 MPG over the EPA window sticker.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Steel bumper JLUR at 14.9. I really hope it starts to go up. Only at 140 miles. I am babying the hell out of it but it's all city driving. Maybe 6 miles a day.

JeepgirlJL2018white

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited
Steel bumper JLUR at 14.9. I really hope it starts to go up. Only at 140 miles. I am babying the hell out of it but it's all city driving. Maybe 6 miles a day.
Mine took a few weeks, then over time I saw it get better and better. I've had it since April 29th, 4500 miles now on it and it is at 21 mostly. It started low though in the beginning like yours. I would drive interstate and get the whole jeep worn in a few times.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
We are in a rural area with little stop and go, like two stop lights in our town. We are seeing 21+ on three weeks of driving. We are really pleased. Our 2012 JK Rubicon was at 17 to 18 over the last five years.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Don't baby it! I promise... The key is getting up to speed and letting the tranny get in the high gears. If you watch your instant MPG read out you will see that babying it doesn't seem to yield any better MPG and take longer to get up to thigh gears. Try it!

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Don't baby it! I promise... The key is getting up to speed and letting the tranny get in the high gears. If you watch your instant MPG read out you will see that babying it doesn't seem to yield any better MPG and take longer to get up to thigh gears. Try it!
That's kinda my problem, if I go from my foot barely touching the pedal to a tiny, tiny bit of pressure I plummet to 8-9mpg.. So I let off and practically coast around like a 30k lb elephant.

Is something broken, should I floor it and get up in gear, or is this Jeep life? My last car had 500hp and got 13mpg but it wasn't this touchy. This is crazy.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
That's kinda my problem, if I go from my foot barely touching the pedal to a tiny, tiny bit of pressure I plummet to 8-9mpg.. So I let off and practically coast around like a 30k lb elephant.

Is something broken, should I floor it and get up in gear, or is this Jeep life? My last car had 500hp and got 13mpg but it wasn't this touchy. This is crazy.
I'm getting a pretty consistent average of 18 mpg in my Rubi. I drive in all city conditions to get that mpg. However, my commute is probably less than 10 miles one way and is in a 45mph road most of the way with a couple stop signs and a few red lights on the way.

I don't hammer it, but I try to get up to speed pretty quickly and then try to let it get up to the highest gears it can. If I'm semi-agressive when accelerating I see around 8 or 10 mpgs for the few moments getting up to speed, babying it gets 10-12? but takes so much longer to get up the high gears. Once I get up in gears I can see 20+ pretty regularly.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Why did the poll stop at 18 when the EPA even rates it much higher than that? A lot of us are averaging 20-21 with our new JLs

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Short trips like that aren't conducive to decent mpg, even on an economy car and even more so on a Rubicon.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
200 miles in and I am at 18.6, mostly short trips and city driving. I am still in the break in period so I pretty light on the throttle (I have not gotten above about 3500 RPM). I am pretty happy with 18+ for in town but it definitely a wake up call from my 28 mpg in town on my old SUV AWD hybrid. But the difference is now I drive around with a smile everyday, so that is worth 10 mpg difference.