Sponsored

Cube Lights - Spot or Flood?

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
Hi all - I'm going to pick up some rigid cube lights (midnight series) -do i use Spot or Flood?

I want to be able to use them when parked and when driving....thanks!
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Spot, you can't legally use floods when driving in many States, you will need to put an opaque cover on your flood.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
A couple things:
Do you have LED headlights?
How far are you hoping these lights to project out?

The rigid floods are very wide and will not reach out further than your headlights. I had the rigid driving lights and ditched them because they were basically redundant to my headlights.

If I may make a suggestion, check out the Baja designs squadron lights. I went from rigid to Baja and they are so much better they are basically beyond comparison. Their driving combo beam is the best of both worlds.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered Rigid D-SS in a driving pattern. Looks to be a good hybrid of Spot&Flood. Havent received/mounted yet, but vids look good on them.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Floods or combo's on the bumper and spot on the window pillars will give you the best results if your going that route ..

Sponsored

jjonesx86

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
I believe the midnight series only comes in their hybrid spot which they claim is a combo of a flood and spot. I'm debating about the midnight series as well so please let me know if you have found a way to order anything other than the hybrid.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have some Rigid cubes that were on my truck for about 2-3 years. The lenses are "crazed" or have miniature cracks all over and they are yellowed. Cheap Chinese components. No more Rigid for me. My Baja Designs S2 lights have been on the same truck for almost twice as long and they look fine.

20190308_165854.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepauug

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
Got my rigid midnight serries today. I was surprised the rigid logo is not blacked out (the older model was). Otherwise the quality is very nice

28F7203E-16AC-42F3-A105-8C7A8F21B187.jpeg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hi all - I'm going to pick up some rigid cube lights (midnight series) -do i use Spot or Flood?

I want to be able to use them when parked and when driving....thanks!
I'll give my perspective from my lighting mods to my pickup.

First priority is the best (legal) low beam headlight you can get. I can't overemphasize the value of great low beams. Anytime you have traffic either coming at you or going your way in front of you, you are limited to low beams. That's most of the time. For my truck, I found a set of later year factory headlights with LED that perform great on low beam. These late model lights are about 3000 lumens each on high beam. For a JL, that's either the factory LED headlight or the JW Speaker 8700 Evo J2 Dual Burn. There are likely others that perform as well or better.

For high speed highway driving where there are no other vehicles, you can go wild. But if you are stopped by a trooper for burning illegal lights, you're on your own I went with 4 Baja Designs S2 Pro lights. These are about 2100 lumens each. One pair are spot beams and the other pair are wide flat beams aimed slightly outboard. The spot beams provide enough light to see and stop from highway speeds and the wide beams provide roadside lighting to see wildlife moving toward the road, giving opportunity to slow or avoid them.

And last, I wanted a mildly supplemental light that could be used in traffic or as an emergency backup to the headlights in the event I had a headlight failure on the road. I had chosen the Rigid SAE J583 D series cubes which were touted as "DOT compliant" or street legal. They were rated around 1500 lumens or so. I have since replaced these with some Morimoto XB LED fog lights due to a mount failing on the Rigid lights and the fact that the lenses on them are badly deteriorated.

This 16,000 lumen setup has the low and high speed zones covered for the most part. What I don't have is some flood lights mounted back around the A pillers that are pointed outward to cover low speed tight manuevering off road. You don't need 50,000 lumens to see well at night if the light is well controlled and covers the right areas.

20190309_144827.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had 2 pair of Rigid D series Pro spots to see all the fuss about Rigid and 3" cubes. Big waste of money. Went with KC spots as I use them on my JK. They have a much tighter beam than Rigid (see pictures) and go much further. Also have KC driving lights plus spot/ flood lights for front/side.
2019 JL Rigid spotlights.jpg
2019 JL KC spotlights.jpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Got my rigid midnight serries today. I was surprised the rigid logo is not blacked out (the older model was). Otherwise the quality is very nice
Plasti-Dip will solve that. Their covers also have the logo splashed across the top.
Sponsored