Sponsored

Cube light wiring

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Bare with me as I have next to zero experience in wiring. I have a set of cube lights with that came with a wiring harness. I also have the Aux switches. Would I just chop off the unneeded switch wiring, then just run the power to one of the power wires by the battery then ground the other wire?

2019-03-08_13-02-30.png
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Bare with me as I have next to zero experience in wiring. I have a set of cube lights with that came with a wiring harness. I also have the Aux switches. Would I just chop off the unneeded switch wiring, then just run the power to one of the power wires by the battery then ground the other wire?

2019-03-08_13-02-30.png
I had the exact same question as you when I installed my cube lights, after much research, I finally found a clean and simple plug and play solution, with minimal stripping and cutting required:

Buy these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKBH2PJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGXNRRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug in the driver side light to the extension and run the extension from driver's side to the passenger side, plug in one of the split end of the Y-pigtail harness to the other end of the extension, and plug in the passenger side light to the remainding split as well, now, you can either cut and strip the merged end of the Y-harness and crimp it to the aux wire, OR buy this https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/deutsch-style-pig-tail and connect that to the merged end of Y-connector and crimp the other end instead to the aux wires. (crimp red to aux 3/4), strip and crimp the black to a ring terminal and bolt it on the closets ground nut.

The beauty of this setup is that you can add/swap out lights later without having to strip/re-crimp everything, just plug them into the harness and off you go! you can add another layer of Y-harness and have a pair of lights on both sides within minutes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

These were the pictures I took earlier, if you are still not clear, I can take more photos when I get home tonight.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Arterius2

Reality is there is no reason at all to buy the items you bought and used in the install. Sure you can use, but not necessary at all. Added expense ($22+) and over complicates this very simple install.

@1quick1
You have the basic gist of it. Since you are using Aux, you do not need the harness, fuse and switch.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Arterius2

Reality is there is no reason at all to buy the items you bought and used in the install. Sure you can use, but not necessary at all. Added expense ($22+) and over complicates this very simple install.
The beauty of this setup is that you can add/swap out lights later without having to strip/re-crimp everything, the receptacle harness are already in place and you just plug them into the harness and off you go! you can add another layer of Y-harness and add more lights on both sides within minutes.

I have another pair of A pillar lights coming in and they just plug straight in.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2 Guess we are gonna disagree.

Wasted $ and no necessary and no beauty.

Yes a way to do it but overkill / not necessary if you have Aux switches. For one set of lights why would you....... ?

You can do a top notch install, spending about $6.00- . No need to over complicate and also blow $22+. Simple is usually better, especially when it comes to wiring.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Arterius2 Guess we are gonna disagree.

Wasted $ and no necessary and no beauty.

Yes a way to do it but overkill / not necessary if you have Aux switches. For one set of lights why would you....... ?

You can do a top notch install, spending about $6.00- . No need to over complicate and also blow $22+. Simple is usually better, especially when it comes to wiring.
Useful if you want to control all your cube lights with one switch and minimal stripping/splicing/crimping needed. Like the poster said, zero wiring experience.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2

I hear you and agree that if you are adding additional pairs of lights and want them all on one Aux switch then the way you suggest and the added expense makes your way, an aok way to go.

For a young guy or gal that has no wiring experience and is wiring up a single pair of aux lights, then it makes absolutely no sense to do their install using a $22+ harness.... plus it over complicates what would be a very simple install for anyone.

The install of a single pair of aux lights is oh so easy when you have Aux switches.

Wiring up a single pair without the pricey harness takes but say 15 min if that and again, easy, even for a novice.

I have helped a bunch of guys already.... 10 min phone call telling them the few tings they need to have and how to proceed and they are good to go... And no, I'm not typing it up here. 8-)

Again, your way is not bad or wrong but way overkill for a guy or gal that is wiring a single set of aux lights.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
@Arterius2

I hear you and agree that if you are adding additional pairs of lights and want them all on one Aux switch then the way you suggest and the added expense makes your way, an aok way to go.

For a young guy or gal that has no wiring experience and is wiring up a single pair of aux lights, then it makes absolutely no sense to do their install using a $22+ harness.... plus it over complicates what would be a very simple install for anyone.

The install of a single pair of aux lights is oh so easy when you have Aux switches.

Wiring up a single pair without the pricey harness takes but say 15 min if that and again, easy, even for a novice.

I have helped a bunch of guys already.... 10 min phone call telling them the few tings they need to have and how to proceed and they are good to go... And no, I'm not typing it up here. 8-)

Again, your way is not bad or wrong but way overkill for a guy or gal that is wiring a single set of aux lights.
good summary!

OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys I figured it out. The harness seemed to overly complicate things. I just cut the harness off where the red line is then combined the power from each light into one end of a butt connector and the other end to the aux 4 power. Then the same for the ground wires.

I can still easily swap out the lights as the connectors from the harness to the lights are still being used. So as long as the new lights I get use those connectors it will be an easy swap.

Thanks for all the time and help with my noob question.

2019-03-08_14-31-22.png

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey guys I figured it out. The harness seemed to overly complicate things. I just cut the harness off where the red line is then combined the power from each light into one end of a butt connector and the other end to the aux 4 power. Then the same for the ground wires.

I can still easily swap out the lights as the connectors from the harness to the lights are still being used. So as long as the new lights I get use those connectors it will be an easy swap.

2019-03-08_14-31-22.png
Correct, you can probably unwrap tape and strip it at the bottom of the relay if they are spliced together already, and everything beyond that is useless.

Sponsored

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase

2019-03-08_14-31-22.png
Unrelated Post after Edit: Make sure you’re using a solid ground. I tried to save a little wire @ the expense of making a solid frame contact. That’s a mistake.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Last edited:

JeepJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Good thread, thanks for the links. While I do wiring and soldering, this really is a clean install and since I'll be using 4 pod lights, a $22 investment is well worth it.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Cube light wiring 2019-03-08_14-31-22

Can you post the link of the cube lights you are using?

OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Can you post the link of the cube lights you are using?
I have quadratec cubes. For the wiring I was overthinking it. It's just a red and black wire and it was really easy to do since I have the aux switches.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase