First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Just wanted to start a thread for locals to discuss wheeling trips and good finds on CL or marketplace.

I live in the NW corner of the state where there is an abundance of open land but like everywhere else in the state not many legal trails. We have been going out on the weekends after looking at lots of maps to find fun “no winter maintenance” roads and state forests with some forest roads.

May 21 I’m taking the wife and kids to “Hunter Mountain”for the scenic drive around the mountain, I don’t expect anything technical but I’m looking forward to a day in the woods for some nature and family time.

I drive by Nepaug area quite a bit for work and took a ride up “ramp rd” last weekend. The gates were open and we didn’t venture off the main road but it started to look a little rougher after the last parking area and we turned back. Not sure if it’s ok to continue until you can’t….

Also have heard of some places in Winchester / winsted area we plan to check out soon. Lots of YouTube videos that appear to be taken in colebrook Rez but I have family in the ACOE so I’ve got to choose my battles wisely there.

I grew up in Thomaston and we used to wheel daily in the wigwam Rez but most of that is pretty mellow and the real trails have all been tank trapped into non existence.

Also used to have a few trails in harwinton, I think most of those have been turned into gravel roads with the massive amount of powerline work in the area.

well anyways just wanted to give a quick “wave” and hopefully discuss with other locals different places that are legal or tread lightly “legal”.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Took the two Jeeps out today and couldn’t resist a picture. Went for a few mile ride in the 54’ for a shakedown, trying to get all mechanicals set before I finish the body work.
Jeep Wrangler JL CT Jeepers 765B71EF-20A5-424E-A75B-3B51BFA58564

Captainejo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Hello from Farmington. U should look into joining a club for safe, legal wheeling in and around CT. Lots of work being done behind the scenes that will take a long time for CT, one idiot can ruin it for all of us...but organized clubs are working hard.

Definitely lots of good wheeling, just all private land really, that clubs have access to and insurance for.

OP
OP
JLanesey

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I’m thinking for sure of joining one of the clubs. I’ve been out of the scene for a few years so not in touch with what’s available. Noticed Jonfund as being one of the more popular ones in the area.

Next weekend we are doing the “scenic” tour of hunter mountain in NY. I don’t expect anything too crazy but want to get the wife and kids off road and into the woods for the day.

I’m currently waiting for a set of 37” KM3s to arrive so hopefully that happens before the weekend but I’m sure the AT3s will suffice for the dirt road journey.

I’m thinking of trying to take a ride up to NH this summer to hit the badge trail as well.

Captainejo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
That sounds fun! A day in the dirt is always good. Im part of NEJeep, wide variety of skills, check us out if u want, but lots of good groups in CT for sure!!
Sponsored