Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar 2” lift.......

I’ve installed over a dozen Mopar lifts over the last couple years on the JL. For whatever reason ( probably anticipating added weight ) the Mopar lift gives more than 2” of lift and they don’t include the parts needed to restore the geometry…

The best way to tell exactly how much lift you get, if you’re able to, is to measure from the top of front axle to the bottom lip of the upper coil spring housing before and after lift, the difference is how much lift you actually get .......

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… 9CF21841-AB3A-41DC-AE66-071DCBED2A70

When you get more than 2” of lift your caster is decreased and your axles shift, front to the drivers side and rear to the passenger side. Because everything on the alignment read out doesn’t show anything out of spec, that’s how they justify not adding parts to the lift kit.

Now you can drive it as is on the highway or light trails without issues. But if you’re gonna be off-roading and want it to drive better on the highway then you need to add a few things to the kit, the brand is up to you....

1 - front adjustable track bar to re-center the front axle.
2 - rear track bar relocation bracket if you want to keep factory rear track bar or an adjustable track bar
3 - front lower adjustable control arms to increase your caster ( around 6 or a little more is optimal ) to minimize if not eliminate wandering on the highway.
4 - front lower RK coil spring isolators. This is optional depending on how much spring bow you got and how hard you wheel it, the ones in the kit can collapse.

Some don’t care that things are a little off and are using the kit as is which is fine. There is no real ill effects short term but long term I think the factory lower control arm bushings will wear faster being in a slight bind. Again, this is in more extreme cases.

I have no science to back that up , only a couple guys that came to me a year and a half later with worn bushings. This could also be it’s just the way they use their rig, I don’t know. But I won’t install anymore Mopar lifts if the customer doesn’t have these extra parts with them........

Here’s some pics of a more extreme example........

You can see the axle shifted

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… F9E2328E-535B-4F64-BBBB-5C1C5E5C5CBF

this axle was over an inch off...

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… E0C6FE91-6706-497E-A8BC-87B14151ED8B

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… A38809B2-8C8A-4299-9193-EEBFCA8F1D8D

Here’s a collapsed coil isolator

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… EA556B0D-06F8-471A-A6CA-DDF744AEEDD9

Again this is just a guideline to what to look for and address if you have some of these issues with your Mopar lift. IMHO, if you do these few things you'll enjoy your lift a lot more............:)
Sponsored

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar 2” lift.......

I want to explain this here so I can just link it when guys ask about it......

I’ve installed over a dozen Mopar lifts over the last couple years on the JL. For whatever reason ( probably anticipating added weight ) the Mopar lift gives more than 2” of lift and they don’t include the parts to make it as it should be. When you get more than 2” of lift your caster is decreased and your axles shift, front to the drivers side and rear to the passenger side. Because everything on the alignment read out doesn’t show anything out of spec, that’s how they justify not adding parr’s to the lift kit.

Now you can drive it as is on the highway or light trails without issues. But if you’re gonna be off-roading and want it to drive better on the highway then you need to add a few things to the kit, the brand is up to you....

2 - rear track bar relocation bracket if you want to keep factory rear track bar or an adjustable track bar
3 - front lower adjustable control arms to increase your caster ( around 6 or a little more is optimal ) to minimize if not eliminate wandering on the highway.
4 - front lower RK coil spring isolators. This is optional depending on how much spring bow you got and how hard you wheel it, the ones in the kit can collapse.

Some don’t care that things are a little off and are using the kit as is which is fine. There is no real ill effects short term but long term I think the factory lower control arm bushings will wear faster being in a slight bind. Again, this is in more extreme cases.

I have no science to back that up , only a couple guys that came to me a year and a half later with worn bushings. This could also be it’s just the way they use their rig, I don’t know. But I won’t install anymore Mopar lifts if the customer doesn’t have these extra parts with them........

Again this is just a guideline to what to look for and address if you have some of these issues with your Mopar lift. IMHO, if you do these few things you'll enjoy your lift a lot more............:)
Awesome write up and great examples of why. Smart move using link - we know you get asked over n over :like:
Write once - cry once :LOL:

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got my front lower arms bushings in today. They weren’t as bad as the rears were........

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… 0B29860B-271B-4E60-9652-BEF010BDD1ED

My spanner tool still hasn’t shown up from RK, so this is how you take off the threaded retainer, hammer and chisel, when it’s loose I used needle nose to finish twisting them off.......:facepalm:

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… 7E1CF95E-16FA-443A-92A7-1BDC5A11E003

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… 2CCC0549-D8E7-4927-ADC1-ADB1E8F2DA64

These bushings have notches for grease in 3 locations, you need to line up the two bushings so the notches line up........

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… F673B7E3-F360-4EEF-97D5-122713B8C8E3

Then when you press the assembly into the arm you need to try and line up the notch in the bushing with the grease fitting.......

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… 3C2AD12B-1F39-47CE-948C-9FF37A92394E

Then install the threaded retainers, put in the two set screws with blue loctite and that’s it...... Brand new arms.....:)

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… BB4D249A-65E7-4A99-AA56-C6C1C56931A4

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Moving on to my rear uppers rebuild. They were really worn......At least my tool finally showed up, cut off a 1/3 of the time......:)

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… B04F5E86-1BB2-42E7-95CC-C0FDEDE5E1BE
Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… EC043784-31A8-4E31-82DF-77A9E3B27067

Last edited:

Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Nice job. my RK kit gets installed in 2 weeks (been waiting over 3 months for it now). The tool looks similar to the Rubicon express tool on my TJ lift. When those bushings got warn I would even get clunking like something was loose. Regular maintenance/replacement on them worked well.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The Mopar 2” lift.......

I want to explain this here so I can just link it when guys ask about it......

I’ve installed over a dozen Mopar lifts over the last couple years on the JL. For whatever reason ( probably anticipating added weight ) the Mopar lift gives more than 2” of lift and they don’t include the parts to make it as it should be. When you get more than 2” of lift your caster is decreased and your axles shift, front to the drivers side and rear to the passenger side. Because everything on the alignment read out doesn’t show anything out of spec, that’s how they justify not adding parr’s to the lift kit.

You are now officially "The lift whisperer", congratulations. Now check your catch can!

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You are now officially "The lift whisperer", congratulations. Now check your catch can!
Thanks for the reminder, I swear I forget that things in there all the time.....:facepalm:..............✌

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job. my RK kit gets installed in 2 weeks (been waiting over 3 months for it now). The tool looks similar to the Rubicon express tool on my TJ lift. When those bushings got warn I would even get clunking like something was loose. Regular maintenance/replacement on them worked well.
Thanks Joe.... that’s a long wait but it will be worth it. Seems like everyone is waiting on all different parts these days These new bushings are pretty impressive, I think they’ll last a lot longer. Post pic here, when you get your lift on.

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rebuilt front lowers krawler joints today, they were toast......

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… 34577B2C-1714-4EAD-AC57-EF3611F6CB47

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… C9E337FC-6B77-499A-B690-BB44688A413E

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… B0B720ED-99A3-499A-BCE5-E4EBB0E56893

Now all I have left to do is front uppers krawler joints and track bars.

New track bar bushings .......

Jeep Wrangler JL Crystal Rubi build… 0E778E24-8DA6-4DB2-A52F-F6548E57226C

Last edited:

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Rebuilt front lowers krawler joints today, they were toast......

Now all I have left to do is front uppers front krawler joints and track bars.

New track bar bushings .......

Big boy torque setting AGAIN :like:

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Big boy torque setting AGAIN :like:
Yep.....only 190 ft lbs, glad it wasn’t the 250 for jam nut. I’ve found any easier way, now that I’m done, lol. I put my Mac daddy impact on setting 3 and use it till it stops moving the bolt then when I use torque wrench the bolt moves less than 1/8 of a turn before the click. Us old guys are always looking for the easy way out.....😂

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep.....only 190 ft lbs, glad it wasn’t the 250 for jam nut. I’ve found any easier way, now that I’m done, lol. I put my Mac daddy impact on setting 3 and use it till it stops moving the bolt then when I use torque wrench the bolt moves less than 1/8 of a turn before the click. Us old guys are always looking for the easy way out.....😂
Sh!t. I figured as many of these you have done you would have the impact set to exact number, no torque wrench required lol. Curious - Have you ever tried a 3/4” torque wrench? Wonder if the couple more inches of leverage would help. Of course unless on a lift prob not a ton of room anyway

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sh!t. I figured as many of these you have done you would have the impact set to exact number, no torque wrench required lol. Curious - Have you ever tried a 3/4” torque wrench? Wonder if the couple more inches of leverage would help. Of course unless on a lift prob not a ton of room anyway
I don’t use one but you can’t go wrong with a couple more inches...🤣....... I sometimes use a piece of sch 40 pvc pipe over the handle.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
you can’t go wrong with a couple more inches
That’s what she said. :LOL:
I can see pipe over wrench would definitely help
Sponsored