Sponsored

Cruise Control recall brought on defective OBD2 port, shifter module and PCM

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Last night I received the safety recall letter from FCA about the cruise control defect, so today I took my Jeep to the nearest dealership to get it fixed. When I got there the service advisor plugged in the OBD2, but the scanner was unable to communicate with the vehicle. He asked me if the dealership or myself added any aftermarket equipment to it as that can make the port inoperable. I have not and I confirmed with the dealership I purchased from that they also did not. So now they are trying to figure out what's going on and why it is not communicating correctly. Anyone else come across this with their Jeeps?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Last night I received the safety recall letter from FCA about the cruise control defect, so today I took my Jeep to the nearest dealership to get it fixed. When I got there the service advisor plugged in the OBD2, but the scanner was unable to communicate with the vehicle. He asked me if the dealership or myself added any aftermarket equipment to it as that can make the port inoperable. I have not and I confirmed with the dealership I purchased from that they also did not. So now they are trying to figure out what's going on and why it is not communicating correctly. Anyone else come across this with their Jeeps?

@DesertDuck

No, have not seen anyone with this issue reporting same on the forum.

My guess is your "Gateway Module" is defective or the 2 cables are not plugged in properly. IF Gateway Module is defective or the 2 cables not connected properly, then FCA's computer (using OBDII) cannot communicate with the JL.

See the two cables in question, plugged in above OBDll port:
swg port.jpg

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I agree, it sounds like they need to make sure the gateway module is plugged all the way in.

OP
OP

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info! I did some research on the forum before I posted this and I also didn't see anyone else reporting this. There were no issues with the plug. It's defective so they're ordering a new part, and it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that does the trick!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! I did some research on the forum before I posted this and I also didn't see anyone else reporting this. There were no issues with the plug. It's defective so they're ordering a new part, and it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that does the trick!
@DesertDuck
I assume it is the gateway module they are replacing? PLEASE keep us informed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DesertDuck
I assume it is the gateway module they are replacing? PLEASE keep us informed.
Yes, they replaced the gateway module and then were successfully able to scan the vehicle. So they got the Cruise Control defect fixed, told me i'd be able to pick the vehicle up shortly, and then I get a call that they can't get the car in gear and said there is a defect with the shifter module. So now they have to order that part and here I am a almost a week later still without the Jeep.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, they replaced the gateway module and then were successfully able to scan the vehicle. So they got the Cruise Control defect fixed, told me i'd be able to pick the vehicle up shortly, and then I get a call that they can't get the car in gear and said there is a defect with the shifter module. So now they have to order that part and here I am a almost a week later still without the Jeep.
I figured it was the gateway module.

That's the friggin chitts about the shift module now....

OP
OP

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I figured it was the gateway module.

That's the friggin chitts about the shift module now....
Yeah, not the best start with the new ownership. Hopeful that it'll be smooth sailing once this all gets taken care of.

The silver lining: I had a cross country road trip scheduled this week to see some family and wasn't planning to take the Jeep anyhow, so it's good timing for it to be happening, and the dealership offered to pay for a rental car for the trip so we have a new Chrylser 300c for the drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm back from my cross country road trip and over two weeks has gone by since I dropped the Jeep off for service and it is still not fixed. After they fixed the shifter module, the powertrain control module broke. I've been told this powertrain control module is not easily found due to the Jeep being so new, and parts not readily available. Aside from the Jeep being faulty I have also been dealing with a terrible service department at the dealership my Jeep is at. They haven't once proactively reached out to give me an update on its status even after a week of the Jeep being there. When I call in for updates, I go to the service dept voicemail or to someone that promises a phone call back, and never does. This promised phone call back with no response has happened to me 5+ times with various people at the dealership. I have become quite frustrated with this whole situation and have brought @JeepCares into the situation. I now have an assigned case manager who is actively following my Jeep's status and is in contact with the General Mgr/District Mgr of this dealership to get this resolved. Per my case manager's latest update, the powertrain control module is set to arrive this week and if it fixes the vehicle for good, I will get my vehicle back and Jeep will reimburse me my previously paid car payments. If the part does not fix the vehicle and something else breaks they will look into replacing my Jeep.

Update 8/9/2018:

The powertrain control module "fixed" the vehicle enough for me to pick it up, until the next issue cropped up. Since these repairs were made the check engine light has come on two separate times, the first one they cleared it out and told me it had something to do with the brakes, but it was a stored code and that it was nothing to worry about. A second check engine light came on. Apparently check engine light #1 WAS something to worry about, as my Jeep has a shorted brake switch. They have ordered the part and it should arrive next week. Until then they have instructed me to pick up the Jeep as it is safe to drive but will have no ABS. as I haven't had a chance to take it in yet. The offer to replace my Jeep has been denied as it doesn't "meet" their qualifications for a buyback. This Jeep is becoming a bigger pain in my ass by the day.

I've moved this conversation over to:

Has anyone with a faulty Jeep been offered a buyback from FCA?

Last edited:

Motomom

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL 4 door
My OBD2 is not communicating with the service pods and they have replaced my gateway Module but still not working! I hope they figure it out soon it has been in the shop for 2 weeks now and I am frustrated!