Sponsored

Cruise control cannot maintain consistent speed; frequent gear shifts leading to overheating

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Perhaps something wrong with the turbo itself….it’s not the cruise control. Unless it throws a code dealers have difficulty diagnosing anything….uggg
Sponsored

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Well the ECU is obviously cutting timing so you dont wreck the engine. I'm surprised the dealer didnt find any codes. But who really knows if they actually checked.
Other than that, it really needs a competent mechanic to diagnose whats happening. Sorry I couldn't help ya more.
I was with them when they pulled codes, they actually checked my car right there in the service entrance.

We made it to Denver and towards the end of the drive, the cruise control was mostly fine. However, even on level ground going 75 without cruise control, my coolant temp was showing 235-240, which from what I understand is on the hot end. I’m wondering if there may still be some dirt stuck somewhere in the radiator; right now I’m torn between trying to take it apart and clean it out, or just go straight to the dealership tomorrow.

rlong69

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Industrial Automation Consultant

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have this issue crossing the passes from SLC to Moab and Hurricane. The engine is under boost longer during these climbs. The air temps begin to spike and the waste gate opens to drop boost and not hurt the motor. You can hear the the difference when the waste gate is closed and open...

I have been able to mitigate this by either slowing down before the air temps spike or jumping down to 7th or a combination of the two.

I can repeat the problem easily and have not found a decent cure. I am sure meth injection or a better charge cooler would help. One of the tuning companies was playing with changing the charge cooler pump timing to help this issue.

On my last trip from Ohio to Utah, I had to keep the speed down in the mountains in order to not spike the air temps. I'd recommend this course of action for your return trip.

It is worth noting that I'm on a 3" lift, 38's and 5:13 gears.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’ve driven up the passes in Colorado many times with my 2.0. The only time it gets a bit hot is when I maintain high speeds climbing the big passes in the mountains. I have 35s and a 2” lift. Power is never a problem…. Checking for radiator dirt is a good idea….is your thermostat fully opening. Seems like something like that would throw a code…. The fact that the problem can be intermittent make me think of stuff like that…

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
I’ve driven up the passes in Colorado many times with my 2.0. The only time it gets a bit hot is when I maintain high speeds climbing the big passes in the mountains. I have 35s and a 2” lift. Power is never a problem…. Checking for radiator dirt is a good idea….is your thermostat fully opening. Seems like something like that would throw a code…. The fact that the problem can be intermittent make me think of stuff like that…
put the off road page on the screen it will tell u how hot every thing is

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

So I just heard back from the dealership, which has told me that the issue is debris in the radiator and all of the coolant lines. They’re telling me that because its due to an “outside influence,” it would not be covered by warranty and would cost me over $1000 to remove the radiator and flush all of the coolant lines.

Personally I find this kind of bullshit; I don’t do any hardcore off roading and the vehicle is always advertised as off road capable. The rep suggested I contact Chrysler to dispute if I wanted to.

I guess I’m curious how much effort it would be for me to remove the radiator and clean it out. Especially since I want to continue wheeling the vehicle, perhaps this is something I need to learn how to do? At the same time, it feels like the vehicle should be a little more off-road proof in that I shouldn’t have to disassemble the thing every time I encounter some mud.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So I just heard back from the dealership, which has told me that the issue is debris in the radiator and all of the coolant lines. They’re telling me that because its due to an “outside influence,” it would not be covered by warranty and would cost me over $1000 to remove the radiator and flush all of the coolant lines.

Personally I find this kind of bullshit; I don’t do any hardcore off roading and the vehicle is always advertised as off road capable. The rep suggested I contact Chrysler to dispute if I wanted to.

I guess I’m curious how much effort it would be for me to remove the radiator and clean it out. Especially since I want to continue wheeling the vehicle, perhaps this is something I need to learn how to do? At the same time, it feels like the vehicle should be a little more off-road proof in that I shouldn’t have to disassemble the thing every time I encounter some mud.
Debris "IN" the radiator as in inside with the coolant, or just on the outside of the radiator?

Sponsored

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon

The cooling system is a closed system. How does one get debris in the radiator and lines without having somehow added it to the overflow tank or directly into the radiator? That doesn't make sense. Did you use some sort of coolant enhancer, stop leak, or add anything else to the coolant?

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
You may very well have machining chips from the engine manufacturing process clogging everything up...

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
You may very well have machining chips from the engine manufacturing process clogging everything up...
Yeah, anything like that should be warranty. I can't understand why they say it isn't covered due to "outside influence". I could only see that if you or someone added something to the system, used the wrong coolant, or something like that.

Reactions: OBD

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Yeah, anything like that should be warranty. I can't understand why they say it isn't covered due to "outside influence". I could only see that if you or someone added something to the system, used the wrong coolant, or something like that.
I would get a second opinion from another service dept...

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I am currently waiting for more details from the dealership. When I first spoke to the rep, she said it was because dirt and debris in the radiator which needs to be removed. But when I called back, the next rep I spoke to told me it was an issue with mixing coolants (5 year and 10 year), which doesn’t fully make sense since the issue happened before I had any coolant levels topped off.

If it’s just dirt and debris, I feel like this shouldn’t be that big of a deal to clean out. Again, waiting on full info from dealership along with their proposed fix in writing.
Sponsored