Sponsored

Cruise control cannot maintain consistent speed; frequent gear shifts leading to overheating

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I’m about 200 miles into my road trip from Chicago to Denver, and my cruise control is starting to act up. Set at 79, the vehicle is unable to maintain the speed and will vary between 77-81. The engine will frequently switch between gears 5, 6 and 7, resulting in a jolty ride. To make matters worse, this results in the engine overheating.

This same behavior occurs at lower cruise control speeds as well, but does not seem to be as drastic. The only workaround I have found is to shift into manual and keep it in gear 6; however on hills I ended up having to adjust the gear to maintain speed

I have never had issues with my cruise control before, and this is the speed that I almost set it to on long trips. I did have my oil changed and tires rotated on Monday in preparation of this trip.

Has anyone experienced something like this before, and if so, how did you resolve? Wondering if there is any way I can reset the computer or something to see if it will resolve itself. I’ll be wheeling this weekend in the mountains of Colorado, so really hoping to avoid a lengthy trip at a dealership.
Sponsored

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

What do you mean when you say the engine is overheating? Is the temp just increasing (which is normal) or is it actually overheating?
Actually overheating, but it goes away when I reduce speed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cruise control cannot maintain consistent speed; frequent gear shifts leading to overheating CA872265-ADA0-4886-9C53-ADDE2386DA73

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
You need that looked into.
I have the v6 so my experience may differ........

Sponsored

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Have you tried to replicate the issue at say 65? A +/- 2 mile variance at 79 is not unusual, the gears moving all around is. Had a Sahara with the 2L, and we did a similar trip from Chicago to Ouray and never had that problem. On the steep highway uphills, the gears would drop to 5th in some cases but never jolted or had a "hard" shift.

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

So update - I ended up stopping at a dealership a couple of hours after this happened in Iowa. All fluids normal; no codes or anything from the engine. We ended up topping off the coolant for the engine but they honestly had no idea what was going on. Didn’t try to cruise for an hour or so, and magically it’s back working again.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Have you checked other temperatures when this is happening? I would expect the transmission temperature to be highest if this is truly related to the shifting of gears.

Also I bet the "temperature" gauge next to the tachometer will display full red if anything is over-temperature... not just engine temperature.

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

And day two of our road trip and the issue is back. Cruise control was great for the first two hours, but then the issue came back. I have also noticed that when this happens, the engine has minimal power - I can floor the pedal and the car barely accelerates.

I doubt this is a coolant issue as the levels are all the same they were yesterday and I have no leaking going on under the car. I checked all of my fuses as a last-ditch effort but they were all seated. Going to try resettting the computer next, but I have a feeling this going to be something I need to take to the dealership for.

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Oil temp hot too? Trans temp? Whats the actual coolant temp?

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Coolant will be around 249 when it gives me the warning. Unsure of the trans temp, I want to say around 199, but could be wrong. However, the issue of it heating up is only a final end result that makes me turn off the cruise control. The inconsistent speed takes place for a while before that happens.

What I find odd now is that when this happens, I’ll try to floor it and have no power. I was trying to pass a semi earlier and flooring it wouldn’t even get it past 78. I’m wondering if there’s an issue with the engine getting air or the turbo getting air. I did just stop at a self car wash and using low pressure cleaned the engine bay, and rewashed the front/radiator to see if that helps. I also checked the air filter to make sure nothing was stuck in there and it looked clean.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Coolant will be around 249 when it gives me the warning. Unsure of the trans temp, I want to say around 199, but could be wrong. However, the issue of it heating up is only a final end result that makes me turn off the cruise control. The inconsistent speed takes place for a while before that happens.

What I find odd now is that when this happens, I’ll try to floor it and have no power. I was trying to pass a semi earlier and flooring it wouldn’t even get it past 78. I’m wondering if there’s an issue with the engine getting air or the turbo getting air. I did just stop at a self car wash and using low pressure cleaned the engine bay, and rewashed the front/radiator to see if that helps. I also checked the air filter to make sure nothing was stuck in there and it looked clean.
Well the ECU is obviously cutting timing so you dont wreck the engine. I'm surprised the dealer didnt find any codes. But who really knows if they actually checked.
Other than that, it really needs a competent mechanic to diagnose whats happening. Sorry I couldn't help ya more.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

Turbo limp mode may fully open the waste gate, basically bypassing the turbo.
can’t believe it’s not throwing a code when that happens.
Sponsored